996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure after service

Old 03-19-2017, 12:02 PM
pbrewer
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure after service

I am a new 996 owner and just had first oil service done by a "reputable" shop. I now have low oil pressure. Won't go above two bars and give warning at start up.
Is this caused by improper filter installation?
Thanks.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:14 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ask the shop what they put in and ask their opine on what they took out. you give no detail on the cars history ssssoooo
Old 03-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Oil pressure should be at or near high limit cold. Check the level on the dipstick. Look for leaks. Call the shop. Could be bad connection at sending unit or bad sender, which often happens...but quite a coincidence.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Probably a good time to ask here for alternative Indies in your area.
A good test question on this subject would be to ask candidates for your business what they think about upgrading to a spin-on filter conversion. That should quickly eliminate the amateurs.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:33 PM
pbrewer
6th Gear

Originally Posted by extanker
ask the shop what they put in and ask their opine on what they took out. you give no detail on the cars history ssssoooo
There are no leaks and oil level is full. I'm heading back to shop to ask many questions!
Thanks
Old 03-19-2017, 02:36 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

If one were of a suspicious nature, one might consider that the previous owner had it full of 50W to boost the oil pressure for sales purposes and now it has the correct lower viscosity oil in it?
Old 03-19-2017, 03:02 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
If one were of a suspicious nature, one might consider that the previous owner had it full of 50W to boost the oil pressure for sales purposes and now it has the correct lower viscosity oil in it?
that is why i had him ask what came out......2 cans of stp before the sale may have been added........not that i would know of such things
Old 03-19-2017, 03:10 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Thinner oil would only give lower pressure at hot idle, I would suspect that maybe the filter housing has been over torqued on re fit or a cheap filter has been used , they can twist in the housing on tightening collapsing the pleats blocking flow, I wouldn't drive it really , especially if you are getting low oil pressure warning on start up, find a good recommended porsche Indy and have it flat bedded there? don't go back to that shop!! or drop the oil yourself and remove the filter to check it, also it's worth asking what oil and filter they used ?? Should be genuine porsche filter !!
Old 03-19-2017, 04:12 PM
pbrewer
6th Gear

I'm going back to the shop in the AM to get answers to what filter was installed. It is not listed on the receipt so I am suspicious of them.
Proper oil was used so I suspect the filter was not Porsche spec.
First, and last, time I have used this shop.
Thanks for all the advice!
Old 03-19-2017, 11:19 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Would definitely recommend the LN spin on filter. Don't be afraid to tackle this yourself if you don't get anywhere with that shop.

All you need is the spin on filter housing + filter, a torque wrench and some oil.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:05 AM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes I just bought one for mine , no chance of collapsing the filter as it's the all I one metal canister filter you use with the spin on adapter and also the benefit of full filtration with no bypass!
Old 03-20-2017, 04:10 AM
ion_berkley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$5 says aluminum foil top from one of the new oil containers now stuck to mesh on oil pickup tube in sump.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 696 Posts

You are a new 996 owner. You took your car to a shop for an oil change and now have a *big* problem. These cars are not for the faint of heart! Something as important as an oil change for your car is nothing to fool around with. That's why most of us do a DIY oil change so you know exactly what is going on. It is simple and can give you greater confidence with your car. Learn the steps and just DIY. A LN spin-on oil filter adapter and magnetic drain plug make this a cinch and result in better protection for your engine. Unfortunately at this stage you have to figure out what the shop did that would cause low oil pressure, oil viscosity, cheap filter, or gasp...foil top dropped in the oil filler tube blocking the oil pickup tube (something they will probably not admit), so you are left with draining the oil and removing the sump plate to check. Best time ever to upgrade the filter and drain plug.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by pbrewer
I'm going back to the shop in the AM to get answers to what filter was installed. It is not listed on the receipt so I am suspicious of them.
Proper oil was used so I suspect the filter was not Porsche spec.
First, and last, time I have used this shop.
Thanks for all the advice!
The car should go back to that shop and have them figure out what happened. People make mistakes all the time, how they come through after it is what makes a good shop from a bad one. There is also the chance they didn't make a mistake either and you have another problem.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 AM
pbrewer
6th Gear

Originally Posted by dan_189
Would definitely recommend the LN spin on filter. Don't be afraid to tackle this yourself if you don't get anywhere with that shop.

All you need is the spin on filter housing + filter, a torque wrench and some oil.
Thanks, I plan to ASAP.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low oil pressure after service