Sponsored by:

Interior Trim Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Srbenda
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Interior Trim Help

Picked up a 2001 996 Cab. The PO did not know a great deal about the car, but it came with an aftermarket stereo and some tacky CF looking "trim". And by trim, it's a stick on trim. I've started to remove it, and you can see the beautiful wood below.

Of course, it was used to cover up missing wooden trim pieces. See pics.

What are my options for either buying these wood trim pieces, or buying replacements for everything so I have a matching interior? How insanely priced are those options?

Thanks!

Old 03-26-2017, 04:55 PM
91One
Instructor

If it was me, I'd strip, sand and re-paint the offending pieces. Definitely doable if you do not want to replace everything.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:09 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Never was a fan of the" wood look", sanding and painting would be my choice also.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:08 PM
Srbenda
Rennlist Member

Then I'll have partial wood and partial painted (?) interior? Is there any interior kits I should look at? The tan leather will make matching something reasonable a bit tougher.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:34 PM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Some people like the wood, some don't. I like it, in some circumstances.

I've had some of my wood trim refinished by a guy in Florida. I'm out of town at the moment but FedEx tells me the package with the trim and steering wheel in it is waiting for me when I get home. If the guy's craftsmanship is any good I'll post his details here.

The wood stuff also comes up on eBay every now and then but usually for $$$. I'm still on the lookout for a passenger side door pull wood trim, having broken mine in half.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:08 PM
Boomvang
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I just don't think wood belongs in these cars. I just refinished the plastic pieces including console with SEM coatings, it came out better that new for not too much effort. A really rewarding project, especially when you price out new stuff.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

I about to part out a 996 with the standard gray color trim. Let me know if you would be interested in purchasing the set.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:30 AM
Srbenda
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boomvang
I just don't think wood belongs in these cars. I just refinished the plastic pieces including console with SEM coatings, it came out better that new for not too much effort. A really rewarding project, especially when you price out new stuff.
Did you post any pics of the work, or can you put some here?

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2017, 06:58 AM
Ricky Ricardo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should check out snader's thread on his interior refinishing project. He's using alcantara (much better than the wood IMHO) and covering the plastic bits in a carbon fiber veneer. Personally not a fan of the Carbon Fiber look in general, but the way he put the grey alcantara with red stitching together with the black/grey Carbon fiber looks amazing.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...m-project.html
Old 03-30-2017, 08:17 AM
Srbenda
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ricky Ricardo
You should check out snader's thread on his interior refinishing project. He's using alcantara (much better than the wood IMHO) and covering the plastic bits in a carbon fiber veneer. Personally not a fan of the Carbon Fiber look in general, but the way he put the grey alcantara with red stitching together with the black/grey Carbon fiber looks amazing.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...m-project.html
I saw that. He has some crazy skills I dont have. I'll need to buy some more ready made stuff.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:45 AM
Ricky Ricardo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy replacement kits and parts, but from what I have seen, they can cost a bucket-o-cash depending on the finish.

If you are comfortable taking your dash and console apart, I saw a series of videos on you-tube where a part is dipped in a patterned paint floating in a water tank. Works like a decal, and they have lots of colors, patterns, etc. Have no idea how durable it is or what it costs, but you might want check out some of these videos to start....
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ting+car+parts

Quick Reply: Interior Trim Help