996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Torque Wrench Recommendations

Old 03-22-2017, 09:11 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

That makes sense.

As for the welder, I have a Lincoln Ranger 8 that I bought new in 2000. I've always kind of wanted a little mig but haven't had much I can't do with my Ranger. That's why I was looking at cheap one. That, and I still have a long list of tools I want. With a tire changer and balancer being near the top of the list.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:24 AM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I built up what I consider an impressive tool collection a few pieces at a time over the last 20+ yrs by asking for tools for Christmas. I'm not one who really wants gifts but you know how that goes. So I'd ask for a socket set, ratchet, ect. On the more expensive items my family would just pool the gift. It beats getting a shirt I'll never wear, or some trinket I don't have a use for. I've spent a thousands on my own, but the gifts on the smaller stuff really helped piece the collection together.

for welder I went with the Hobart handler 140...for a 110 welder it does a great job
Old 03-23-2017, 11:19 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spruden
Precision Instruments is the gold standard of US made torque wrenches. They make them for snap on (or used to).

If you want the best and don't want to pay for a recognizable brand name, buy a precision instruments. You can find them on amazon and through other online retailers for roughly the same price as a typical US non-professional brand (craftsman, etc...).
mmmmm no. split beams maybe... but the twist ones, def not.

ive had 3 PI click wrenches, one i had to send back and swap out because it was DOA, the exchange was a pain in the nuts. The replacement wrench never felt like it had a totally smooth action. The rest of them I used for about 2 years and sold. The only one that felt good was the 1/2" one. the other ones felt vague sometimes. They always tested accurate but they did not inspire confidence while using.

PI certainly does not 'make' snap-on... the two wrenches are very different when next to one another. best bet would be CDI brand at a fraction of the cost.

people talk smack on the craftsman digitorks but those were great wrenches. i dont get why the get a bad rap. mine never fell apart, always felt good and worked great.

each time ive swapped a tool out out for snap-on, ive never wanted to replace or change it again.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:29 AM
the_bg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
That Hazet set is very cool, but at $1800 and change, its way out of reach for the "casual mechanic"... Stahlwhile has a similar set for around $1600... still way out of my league... I love the idea of the open attachments for the torque body...
Agreed, but there is no need to buy the whole set as I'm sure 80% of the set would go unused. I stumbled across mine and it had a 1/4" ratchet drive head, 11mm flare nut head and 18mm box head. I paid around $275 on the bay. I would buy a ratcheting 1/4" or 3/8" drive head and only what you need with respect to box head or flare heads (insert tools).

The 5 ft-lb to 75 ft-lb. Snap-On mentioned earlier in the thread seems like a good bang for the buck given the short length and can probably be had for around $200 on eBay. I believe the new Snap-On price was $330.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:05 AM
Sarki
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes, 5 pages on torque wrench suggestions with lots of good ideas.
Picked up a brand new made in USA SK 74250 1/2 drive at estate sale for $50. Seems like a decent enough one for my needs 25-250 ftlb, 20" long, clicker style.
Now I need to find a smaller one that I can use for valve covers, water pumps, etc, etc.
Thinking the snap-on mentioned above might be the ticket if lucky enough to find one at good price.
Any preference 1/4" or 3/8" for light work such as valve covers, etc, etc
Attached Images   
Old 03-25-2017, 12:39 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

WP bolts are torqued to 7.5 ftlbs, so you really want a 1/4 in
Old 03-25-2017, 01:05 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I used this inlb one to assemble my engine. Lots of 7.5ftlb (90 inlb) bolts.

https://www.amazon.com/CDI-Torque-2502MRMH-8-Inch-250-Inc/dp/B004618UI8
Old 03-25-2017, 04:09 PM
yaknart33
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I use snap on torque wrenches the "clicker " type .I also have the snap on tool guy recalibrate them every two years .You would be surprised how much they can be off even with regular use.It's a small fee about $20 each and well worth it.The vast majority of my tools are snapon ,as I am a retired senior master tech .
Old 10-20-2019, 07:54 AM
Sergio000
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also recommend Torque Wrenches for Scope Mounting. Often I use these products and remain satisfied. Quality and price 100%.
See below information https://torquewrenchguide.com/review...cope-mounting/
Old 10-21-2019, 10:39 AM
Sarki
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Surprised this thread came back to life but good time to update.
Landed up buying two torque wrenches, 1/4” & 1/2” drive, both from eTork.
1/4” - Model #C1200
1/2” - Model #C3150
Both have proven to be quality tools that are easy to use and function well.
Links below.......
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Torque Wrench Recommendations