996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 prices are on the rise.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 12:03 AM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Since prices aren't going up in the USA according to most of you but they are elsewhere the us might be a good place for export porsches in the next few year , not quite like the 80's was , when I could buy 911 Sc and make 30-40 percent after landing , but low mile gen 2 c2 manuals and c4S might be worth while
Old 03-16-2017, 02:15 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Oh, they're going up alright.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=143102681..

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=143102681
Old 03-16-2017, 02:46 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

on the market for 314 days, eeek. As a former realtor I can tell that the seller feels his 911 is "special".
Old 03-16-2017, 03:07 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Those are crack pipe asking prices and paying that would be only for suckers. The entire auto industry is floating on a finance bubble. New car dealers are offering 60 and 72 month loans at 0% interest in an effort to keep the stock moving. Leasing has replaced purchasing with the returns after 2 or 3 years being shuffled off to the auction lots.

The 996 is an excellent car but with very real limits and compromises in the design. Enjoy it for what it is and throw aside those dreams of it every becoming worth more than you can buy them for today.

I've been offered an 06 997 S with 90k miles at a price in the mid twenties. 996s in Los Angles are going asking for ten thousand less.

Find a nice 996 for under 17k and drive it for 5 years and maybe even longer...but don't imagine it will ever be worth more than you paid for it.
Their low price is part of what makes them such good cars...for the money.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:39 AM
MRWW
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Then for the price of another Camry you can get a replacement engine.
After that, then for the price of yet another Camry you can get stuff like a new gearbox or valve job.
Then, for the price of a third Camry you can sort out things like a suspension, cooling system, exhaust, brakes, etc.

If these cars were so cheap, everyone on the planet would be commuting in a used Porsche.
Aside from throwing down $15k for a new mill, they are pretty cheap to own and operate all things considered (like the fact they will go 175MPH). Couple grand a year put away for operational expenses and your on solid ground when things come up.

Now Joe Camry is most likely not in a position to plop that kinda coin down when needed, that's why he is driving a disposable universal Japanese vehicle to his remedial IT desk job so he can load up his 401K just enough to be able eek out a retirement where he does not have to eat cat food as a subsistence strategy. The poor bastard had no idea that Janice would put on that extra 100lbs after having a few kids, back in the day when he still had enough hair for a pony tail, drove an el camino and worked at guitar center she was the head jazzercise instructor at the local fitness center, nothing could stop them

Beware of the Camry effect
Old 03-16-2017, 07:09 AM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

MRWW ,quite possibly the funniest thing i have read here in a long time!!!!!
Old 03-16-2017, 08:56 AM
cv8
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

remedial IT desk job so he can load up his 401K just enough to be able eek out a retirement where he does not have to eat cat food as a subsistence strategy
uh-oh
Old 03-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
The 996 is an excellent car but with very real limits and compromises in the design. Enjoy it for what it is and throw aside those dreams of it every becoming worth more than you can buy them for today.
Many Porsches, especially earlier ones have limits and compromises in their designs and bring insane money. The 930, with its massive handling issues to name one.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:59 AM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I think a lot of folks on this thread (the ones thinking appreciation) will ultimately be in for a big disappointment.

Stop worrying about appreciation or depreciation. They're great cars. Drive them and enjoy them now.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:07 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,670 Likes on 922 Posts

^^^ I agree.

Look at my value estimate that I posted on the popular 1999 Carrera. And basically, unless you have a "concours grade" pristine car that's virtually in like-new condition... or maybe a "Raby" modified, then these cars are depreciating further.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:18 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
^^^ I agree.

Look at my value estimate that I posted on the popular 1999 Carrera. And basically, unless you have a "concours grade" pristine car that's virtually in like-new condition... or maybe a "Raby" modified, then these cars are depreciating further.
Yup, special editions and paint to order colors and super-low miles garage queens are the cars that will eventually climb in value... but even then it is likely going to take a considerable drop off in supply (ie, 996's heading to scrapper) for that evenutal appreciation to climb significantly.

I do think that nicely maintained running cars won't drop terribly much more in value... They seem to have reached a cyclical state where they peak in value around spring and drop off heading into winter. The marque, pedigree of the 911 of and within itself, and the sheer cost of good used replacement engines will keep the prices from falling too much lower.

I think fixer-upper cars in the $8-$13k range will remain sporadically available for years to come, and the quantity of those will likely increase in availablity as time goes on and people become disenchanted with "cheap 911" projects gone sideways.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,670 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by jaetee
I think fixer-upper cars in the $8-$13k range will remain sporadically available for years to come, and the quantity of those will likely increase in availablity as time goes on and people become disenchanted with "cheap 911" projects gone sideways.

You nailed it my friend Jaetee!

No telling how many stories I've read and personally witnessed, where someone bought these 996 p-cars thinking it would be a 'walk in the park' only to find out they've purchased a money pit. Not in every case. These are reliable cars IMHO, but when the break.. they BREAK your bank account! Word to the wise!!!
Old 03-16-2017, 12:26 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Those are crack pipe asking prices and paying that would be only for suckers. The entire auto industry is floating on a finance bubble. New car dealers are offering 60 and 72 month loans at 0% interest in an effort to keep the stock moving. Leasing has replaced purchasing with the returns after 2 or 3 years being shuffled off to the auction lots.

I've been offered an 06 997 S with 90k miles at a price in the mid twenties. 996s in Los Angles are going asking for ten thousand less.

Find a nice 996 for under 17k and drive it for 5 years and maybe even longer...but don't imagine it will ever be worth more than you paid for it.
Their low price is part of what makes them such good cars...for the money.

Yes, I was being sarcastic...feeding the frenzy of some.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:32 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"The 930, with its massive handling issues to name one."

Hmmm, affectionately known as widowmakers... You don't hear that much anymore, as they're all sitting in garages appreciating in value... When they are driven, it's usually just down to the local cars and coffee on the weekends.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
Many Porsches, especially earlier ones have limits and compromises in their designs and bring insane money. The 930, with its massive handling issues to name one.
As you say...."insane money."

Quick Reply: 996 prices are on the rise.