996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Hi guys just finished replacing my oil fill tube and now have a whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 06:37 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, threw on a new belt today and she is still whining. Did the screwdriver to the ear trick and it sounds like it is coming from the alternator. I guess messing with it made it unhappy. Charging fine, but definitely whining. Maybe the pulley on it is going out?
Old 03-12-2017, 08:59 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Mine was whining last year and I traced it to the alternator. I removed it this winter and had it rebuilt. Bearings were a little rough and the clutched pulley seized. Due to winter condition we up north are cursed with, I haven't been able to test to verify this cured it, but it was the only bearing that felt even remotely rough. Odd that it only appeared after you did the other work though, but worth looking into.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:42 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JTT
Mine was whining last year and I traced it to the alternator. I removed it this winter and had it rebuilt. Bearings were a little rough and the clutched pulley seized. Due to winter condition we up north are cursed with, I haven't been able to test to verify this cured it, but it was the only bearing that felt even remotely rough. Odd that it only appeared after you did the other work though, but worth looking into.
Cool. I hope it works out for you. I updated my solution on page one. Had to get a new alternator and replaced the idler pulley as well. All good now.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:08 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Old 03-15-2017, 08:05 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

In all these checks there is one check missing.The alignment of the pullies .The the condition of their bearings has already been mentioned.
With the belt off, if you run a straight edge across the face of the pullies - are there any alignment gaps? If there are, the the misaligned belt causes torsion on the bearings which will cause wear and eventually this may be heard as a whine.
The idler pullies are inexpensive to replace.But fix the alignment issue otherwise you will be repeating the task soon. Don't forget to check from the a/c pulley all the way across to as many adjacent pullies that you can.
Good luck !

Quick Reply: Hi guys just finished replacing my oil fill tube and now have a whine