Bulbs for Headlights - Litronics

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 01:27 PM
CATA19
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bulbs for Headlights - Litronics

Hi All,

I have the litronics headlights and was wondering what people are using for bulbs?

Low Beam - The bulbs that I I currently have are D2S and 8000k (from PO) and I don't like the color or the light output. I am wanting to replace them with something a less blue and more light output.

High Beams - Also want to replace my high beams with something brighter and whiter (hopefully close to same color what I get for low beam). No idea what I have currently, but they are very yellow.

While on the topic of bulbs, has anyone replaced the side marker, tail light, brake lights, etc... with LED's? If so, where did you get them?

Thanks,

Trent
Old 03-10-2017, 02:28 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The litronic head lights are single bulb... they tilt a shield to go from low beam pattern to high beam pattern...

The fog light is usually an H7 bulb...

Am I missing something?
Old 03-10-2017, 02:40 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

look on ebay or any lighting store. you can get d2s in any color, 8000 is very blue/purple, 6000 would be light blue a little bluer than a stock oem lite. You can also replace the hibeams with the same color, 6000 hid bulb , you buy a conversion kit and make the old h7?, whatever to a hid bulb. The only work is making the new wire pigtail fit into the oem housing and leading out to the new ballast. couple hours.
the other lights can be bought as error free leds and get same color 6000k.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:34 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by joe-1972
The litronic head lights are single bulb... they tilt a shield to go from low beam pattern to high beam pattern...

The fog light is usually an H7 bulb...

Am I missing something?
Yep - the HID bulb for high and low beam is a single D2S bulb but there is a "helper" bulb for high beam too - it is a halogen H11.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:36 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Yep - the HID bulb for high and low beam is a single D2S bulb but there is a "helper" bulb for high beam too - it is a halogen H11.
2nd, and I can confirm that "helper" bulb is critical to good light output. I tried replacing mine with a cheap LED light that had a prettier color temperature but a poorer light output, and it really hurt the overall brightness. Had to switch back.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:46 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CATA19
Hi All,

I have the litronics headlights and was wondering what people are using for bulbs?

Low Beam - The bulbs that I I currently have are D2S and 8000k (from PO) and I don't like the color or the light output. I am wanting to replace them with something a less blue and more light output.

High Beams - Also want to replace my high beams with something brighter and whiter (hopefully close to same color what I get for low beam). No idea what I have currently, but they are very yellow.

While on the topic of bulbs, has anyone replaced the side marker, tail light, brake lights, etc... with LED's? If so, where did you get them?

Thanks,

Trent
I would guess 8000K is almost purple. OEM color temp is 4300K. I've gone to 5000K for a brighter white (maybe just a hint of blue) but overall illumination isn't helped by the higher temp, just color. You can find D2S bulbs at 5000K and H11 at about that temp too. I use Philips D2S Color Match but they are hard to find. Search eBay and Amazon and you'll find lots of options.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:36 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

every bulb from every mfg will be slightly different color, but 5000 is whitesh to light blue and 6000 is blue for sure.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,247 Likes on 783 Posts

Good comments above. 4,300K provides optimum lighting for visibility. Anything higher looks great, but the higher you go, the less "usable" light you get.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:04 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

My passenger headlight is out. What is the model of the bulb? What is the best place to get a replacement? ebay? What is the factor color temperature?

Is there anything else I should troubleshoot to see if it is the bulb that is burned out or something else?
Old 05-24-2017, 01:30 AM
gnochi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@professorman:

1) D2S; get the
Philips OEM on Amazon Philips OEM on Amazon
; factory is 4300K for the best visibility. Note that the color changes slightly as the bulbs age, so you might want to get 2 and keep the good one as a spare.

2) First, make sure that the passenger headlight unit is fully seated. Sometimes they can work themselves loose a bit. If that didn't do the trick, swap the bulbs in the projector on each side. DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS OF THE BULBS. If the passenger side works now, you have a problem somewhere else in the system - create a post and we'll help work through it.

Quick Reply: Bulbs for Headlights - Litronics