Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

nor Indy or dealership could fix it I need you guys help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 03:32 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Medevack1
ok its been 1 days and the cel hasn't come back....
What was the fix?
Old 06-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Medevack1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

well is back so far the car has been to a total of 3 indys and 2 certifies Porsche dealerships and still nothing, everything that everyone has said its been done, coils, injectors, sparkplugs, leak check, compression test... etc etc im going crazy!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2017, 11:19 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

that's sucks man. feel your pain.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:33 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I may have missed it but has anything been done to try to verify if one or more valves are stuck? Any leak down test?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:43 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

he mentioned above they did both leak down and compression checks.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:53 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Intermittent electric issues in cars are most often caused by bad grounds. I'd guess this injectors ground wire isn't all that great. I'd check the injector harness really well and engine grounds, and injector control module or ECU grounds depending on where the injector module is located. Seat heater could be a ground too.

European cars just tend to have more ground issues than US built autos too. I thought only Europeans put modules in weird places too then I bought my first Corvette.... My Corvette that is 26 years old is having lots of electrical gremlins too. I've rebuild the instrument display, now I'm going to rebuild the A/C control module and replace the IC chip for the tachometer soon too. As cars age wiring and grounds become less effective through weathering, wear and vibration.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:34 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
he mentioned above they did both leak down and compression checks.
I see. How about lifter tests on PIWIS or PST2?
Old 06-22-2017, 12:27 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok so here is the story on my 911. I have a 2004 Jahre 40th Ae with 152k miles. The car is great the problems are as follow. Sometimes the car will run PERFECTO no issues at all, pulls hard and drives great,. other times it will only throw a 0302 check engine light, which is a misfire #2 cyl. I have changed the coil and sparkplug, the Indy and the Porsche dealership have both tried to fix this problem, they have done a leak test, compression test, smoke test, im sure they have done every test and nothing, The car will go days, weeks and sometimes months without any issues no CEL's at all. But when The car gets a wild hair in the tail pipe, I will get a CEL 0302 about 5 to 10 times a day but it only happens when im on a dead stop. the car will shake and the CEL light will blink and eventually go solid, if I rev the car pass 2k RPM and leave it there while is blinking the CEL will go away with in 5 seconds. around the same time this issue started my drivers side seat doesn't heat up, the cruise control only works when it feels like, I know those might not have anything to do with it but is worth a shot, If anyone has this issue please I need help. the car have been doing this for 2 yrs now.

Thank you all in advance.
i am just getting into this thread, but believe AHSAI is on to it. I also had this happen to me. The problem with most Indy's and even dealers is they have not poked their heads into these engines. I had to explain to the Indy how the lifters in these cars work because they are actually counter intuitive, the outer lifter body moves past the inner at low lift and locks together at high lift. I would bet a steak dinner that is your issue.

Let me me see if I can guess your symptoms. The CEL is seemingly random. It will occur as you come back down to idle after going over 3000rpm. The CEL will seemingly clear itself at times and run fine. The dip in the alternator is probably due to momentary loss in RPMs. Also the compression test will come back fine if the lifter is not locked in the high lift position. May even come back ok in the high lift position as well as it will still seal. The problem is that at low RPM in high lift mode the velocity of the intake charge is not ideal and leads to a misfire, computer shuts down the cylinder.

Let it us know if we're right.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:26 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
i am just getting into this thread, but believe AHSAI is on to it. I also had this happen to me. The problem with most Indy's and even dealers is they have not poked their heads into these engines. I had to explain to the Indy how the lifters in these cars work because they are actually counter intuitive, the outer lifter body moves past the inner at low lift and locks together at high lift. I would bet a steak dinner that is your issue.

Let me me see if I can guess your symptoms. The CEL is seemingly random. It will occur as you come back down to idle after going over 3000rpm. The CEL will seemingly clear itself at times and run fine. The dip in the alternator is probably due to momentary loss in RPMs. Also the compression test will come back fine if the lifter is not locked in the high lift position. May even come back ok in the high lift position as well as it will still seal. The problem is that at low RPM in high lift mode the velocity of the intake charge is not ideal and leads to a misfire, computer shuts down the cylinder.

Let it us know if we're right.
I thought I had commented on this problem before, was this in another thread? Anyway I agree with ChicagoSpeed it has the exact symptoms of the sticking lifter of the two-stage lifters on the Vario-Cam Plus engines. The Plus part is the two-stage high/low lifters . I worked at the Porsche dealership for a decade before I retired and have seen this many times.I have seen "expert" Indies on here comment that these lifters never give problems, but I beg to differ. While the Indies see more M96 explosions from IMS , rod bolts, dropped sleeves, D-chunk, at the dealers ship these things are somewhat rare, probably because most the ones we saw were under warranty, when out of warranty they didn't come in with an obvious blown engine unless it was warranty,but we see lots of intermittent problems and the sticking lifters are very common.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:38 AM
Medevack1
Racer

I was reading on another thread and someone had the same issue as I did and mentioned about draining 2 qts of oil and replacing them with ATF to loosen up any junk that might be causing this. someone did it and the car has been 400 + miles w/o any symptoms.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:28 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Do not do that, changing a lifter is relatively simple. Relatively for someone who knows what they are doing. In my case my lifter had mechanically scored and slightly mushroomed to where it mechanically stuck in a high lift position. No snake oil would have fixed it.

I was reading on another thread and someone had the same issue as I did and mentioned about draining 2 qts of oil and replacing them with ATF to loosen up any junk that might be causing this. someone did it and the car has been 400 + miles w/o any symptoms.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:35 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

My apologies Porschetech I did not read through the whole thread.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:45 PM
berk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Timing
Old 06-23-2017, 01:58 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

well is back so far the car has been to a total of 3 indys and 2 certifies Porsche dealerships and still nothing, everything that everyone has said its been done, coils, injectors, sparkplugs, leak check, compression test... etc etc im going crazy!!!!!!
No. You haven't put a scope on the offending injector pulse wire and compared to other cyl.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Medevack1
Racer

Originally Posted by docmirror
No. You haven't put a scope on the offending injector pulse wire and compared to other cyl.
I have the records on the car and the dealership did that, they even installed a new injector and still nothing. again the car has been to 5 different techs places.

Quick Reply: nor Indy or dealership could fix it I need you guys help!!!