Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:10 AM
MarkPitarresi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default top gear cat problems

Originally Posted by oregondave
What a bunch of nonsense.

Mine shipped immediately and we're here within 3 days from Europe.

I have fabspeed headers, a k&n and and ipd plenum. All made small incremental improvements, the headers more than the rest.

These x-pipes took things to a whole other level. The car HOWLS above 4k rpms, it's totally amazing how good it sounds.

I have fister d hacked mufflers so no drone.

The x-pipes combined with the headers make a definite difference in power and acceleration.

I say screw the haters and doubters. Exhaust mods ABSOLUTELY work.
I have a 2005 997 base model and installed the Big Bore Xpipe from Top Gear, I already had speed tech mufflers with the gundo hack. I immediately got a CEL after installing the xpipe and called Top Gear to let them know. They sent me some o2 spacer/idolators that i installed. That helped with my CEL some what... just delayed it and eventually i got an error code saying the aft o2 sensor is running too lean. The engine also has a stumble at 1,200k and again at like 3k. I ended up getting a tune from EVOMS that got rid of the stumble at 3.8k but not at 1,200k. We have been doing data logs with durametric to find out whats going on but my ECU (711 varient) does not have Lambda bank 1 and 2 values that EVOMS is looking for. Has anyone else had any similar issues using these big bore cats? EVOMS has not come right out and told me the cats are the root of the problems but they did say they have talked to several peps that have had the cats fail in a very short amount of time. Also did you end up getting a tune after this mod? If so who did you use? More Importantly is the car a 3.6 base model? That seems to be an issue with a lot of Tunner's. the car is an October of 04 build date.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:48 PM
spreeleon
Instructor

Damn looks like i missed out on this group buy. any chance Top Gear will be having similar sale on a 996 sport 200 cell cat anytime soon??
Old 08-09-2017, 12:18 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

There are about 40 Rennlist folks with these cats, but I've only seen a couple of posts on them post-group buy. Mainly regarding CELs and installation problems. I'd be interested to hear from more in the group about their experiences. Search turns up very little.

Were these giving many of you similar headaches? How about a few months down the road? Anyone put these on a dyno? Curious to see if anyone feels they lost power below 3k as you often hear about x-pipes.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:20 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkPitarresi
I have a 2005 997 base model and installed the Big Bore Xpipe from Top Gear, I already had speed tech mufflers with the gundo hack. I immediately got a CEL after installing the xpipe and called Top Gear to let them know. They sent me some o2 spacer/idolators that i installed. That helped with my CEL some what... just delayed it and eventually i got an error code saying the aft o2 sensor is running too lean. The engine also has a stumble at 1,200k and again at like 3k. I ended up getting a tune from EVOMS that got rid of the stumble at 3.8k but not at 1,200k. We have been doing data logs with durametric to find out whats going on but my ECU (711 varient) does not have Lambda bank 1 and 2 values that EVOMS is looking for. Has anyone else had any similar issues using these big bore cats? EVOMS has not come right out and told me the cats are the root of the problems but they did say they have talked to several peps that have had the cats fail in a very short amount of time. Also did you end up getting a tune after this mod? If so who did you use? More Importantly is the car a 3.6 base model? That seems to be an issue with a lot of Tunner's. the car is an October of 04 build date.
I have same x- pipe, just got an error code for 02 sensor left side running lean. First time, 8000 miles on x-pipe, Kline headers and Tubi mufflers.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:42 PM
MarkPitarresi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeanClevername
There are about 40 Rennlist folks with these cats, but I've only seen a couple of posts on them post-group buy. Mainly regarding CELs and installation problems. I'd be interested to hear from more in the group about their experiences. Search turns up very little.

Were these giving many of you similar headaches? How about a few months down the road? Anyone put these on a dyno? Curious to see if anyone feels they lost power below 3k as you often hear about x-pipes.
Ok...lots of headaches! I have been getting CEL lights even with the bung spacers installed. I also have a EVOMS tune. The biggest problem is at 1,100 to 1,200 rpm under light load to WOT the engine stumbles almost like a misfire. After talking to several different tuners I have learned that the 997.1 cars don't like the xpipe. From what I understand it's not just top gears xpipe but an xpipe in general. Maxspeed Motor sports know all about this issue and so does FVD. Several others also recommend staying with a crossover system for the 997.1 cars that are NA.

I did notice tq loss on the low and mid rpm ranges.

Also from what I hear it's only select cars and no one seems to know what the cause is. One thing is certain though the people that have experienced this issue staying away from the xpipe on NA 997.1's not only to avoid this problem but to avoid losing the torque on low and mid ranges.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:34 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

For those that installed the cross-over sport cats (non x-pipe) did you experience any drone?

Quick Reply: GROUP BUY REDUX - 996/997.1 NA 200 cell x-pipe