Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Changed my motor Mounts today...And broke my oil filler tube...

Old 03-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDropTop
Ya, well you and takika were both correct. Snapped that today messing with the alternator removal. By the way, any help with getting that bushing to move would be greatly appreciated. I am completely stalled. I have searched and searched and followed directions to no avail. I can't tell if I have even moved the bushing let alone see the damn thing. How do I know it has moved enough from the tapping?
You have to spray that bushing with PB blaster and let it soak for an hour. Unscrew the pully bolt a good 1/4 inch then knock hell out of the head of the bolt so the bushing goes back just beyond 'flush' with the side of the shelf. If it doesn't go back far enough then unscrew another 1/4 inch and repeat until it moves further back. You will know when it moves as the head of the bolt you are hitting will hit the front bracket. IOW you have used up the 1/4 and maybe the other 1/4 inch.
Then fully take out the long bolt by unscrewing fully. Then the alternator is free to drop passed the shelf and after removing the left side bottom bolt should be free to lift over the lid. When you get it out after removing the electrical connection on the back of it. Stand it on it head and PB blast it again and leave it. Do not knock it back to where it was or you wont get it up past the shelf again when you put it alternator back in place . The long bolt will pull it back as you tighten up the alternator. Be careful of those small secondary air lines. They are a brittle as hell.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:24 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you! I ended up whacking the crap out of the bolt again this morning and still no movement. I then went and bought liquid wrench, came back and the alternator had slipped down. Success. I guess it was afraid of the liquid wrench LOL. What a pain in the butt. I have the feeling getting it back in is going to be a b i t c h.

My oil filler pipe arrived today and I began the quest to install it. Wow, that back bolt is a nightmare. Bought a few little gadgets today to help me get it in. I can get my fingers on the bolt, but can get it started. I need to get pressure on it, but there just isn't room. Tomorrow I will finish up...God willing.

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
You have to spray that bushing with PB blaster and let it soak for an hour. Unscrew the pully bolt a good 1/4 inch then knock hell out of the head of the bolt so the bushing goes back just beyond 'flush' with the side of the shelf. If it doesn't go back far enough then unscrew another 1/4 inch and repeat until it moves further back. You will know when it moves as the head of the bolt you are hitting will hit the front bracket. IOW you have used up the 1/4 and maybe the other 1/4 inch.
Then fully take out the long bolt by unscrewing fully. Then the alternator is free to drop passed the shelf and after removing the left side bottom bolt should be free to lift over the lid. When you get it out after removing the electrical connection on the back of it. Stand it on it head and PB blast it again and leave it. Do not knock it back to where it was or you wont get it up past the shelf again when you put it alternator back in place . The long bolt will pull it back as you tighten up the alternator. Be careful of those small secondary air lines. They are a brittle as hell.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:31 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally finished up the whole process today. Wow, major pain in the butt. Getting the rear oil filler tube bolt started was about as difficult as getting the alternator out. What finally ended up helping was drilling the hole in the plastic tube out just a bit and not pushing the filler tube flush until after the bolt gets started.

As for the alternator I suggest liquid wrench and or whatever you have first then pound the crap out of it. To get it back in I did what someone recommended to get the bushing pushed back as far a possible. I put the ear of the alternator up against a large socket that was resting on the ground. Then use the long alternator bolt screwed in to it and tap it like you do to get it out. It moved right back and made the alternator instal way easier.

Thanks for everyone's helpful tips and tricks! I do not wish this job on anyone...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changed my motor Mounts today...And broke my oil filler tube...