996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for 996 Brake Pads & Rotors

Old 09-22-2017, 05:42 PM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Sebro or Zimmerman rotors are what I recommend. They're perfect for street and track applications. I, personally, prefer slotted/vented rotors vs. drilled. The Sebro's offer a slotted/vented rotor that are a great choice.
Wayne,
What is the difference between the Sebro rotors with five 2-mm slots for $75 and the Sebro rotors with six 3-mm slots for $119.5--almost twice as much?
Old 09-23-2017, 11:30 AM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been running sebro rotors and cool carbon pads , both of which I bought from pelican
in 2 years of street use they are low dust and noticibly better in the wet than oem spec pads , and fade less in the mountains on twisty roads
Old 09-23-2017, 09:39 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver996
I've been running sebro rotors and cool carbon pads , both of which I bought from pelican
in 2 years of street use they are low dust and noticibly better in the wet than oem spec pads , and fade less in the mountains on twisty roads
Are they noisy?
Old 09-25-2017, 12:10 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Great combo and thank you for your purchase.

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
Are they noisy?
The cool carbon pads have constrained layer noise shims that minimize the possibility of noise under all driving conditions. Can check out more info on them here, and let me know if you have any questions: http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg3.htm#item8
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-25-2017, 12:44 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DrMEMS
Wayne,
What is the difference between the Sebro rotors with five 2-mm slots for $75 and the Sebro rotors with six 3-mm slots for $119.5--almost twice as much?
Wayne doesn't run our forum posts, my name is Luccia.

The answer is in the question. One rotor has five 2mm deep straight cut slots and the other has six curved slots that are 3mm deep. I'm not an engineer, but I have to assume the one with more slots will be more effective at cooling the rotor and the deeper slots will certainly remain there longer throughout the life of the rotor. I don't know if the curved vs. straight slots makes a big difference or not. Only you can decide if the extra slot and the extra depth of the slots is worth almost twice as much money. These rotors are mostly used on track cars and some drivers want every advantage they can get. I hope that clears up things a bit and thank you for your question.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:22 PM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

I'm running Cool Carbon pads on stock Porsche rotors right now. I got the Cool Carbon pads mainly for their advertised low brake dust. After a few years of use, I can say that the dust generation is about the same as with the stock pads, which is bad. Braking performance also feels the same as with stock pads, which I rate as just fine. I've never been limited in stopping power by my brakes, but rather by my tires (Michelin Pilot Sport N-rated). I drive hard and autocross, but have not been on the track. I don't ride my brakes down long hills--I downshift my manual transmission--so my brakes never get hot.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:28 PM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
The answer is in the question. One rotor has five 2mm deep straight cut slots and the other has six curved slots that are 3mm deep. I'm not an engineer, but I have to assume the one with more slots will be more effective at cooling the rotor and the deeper slots will certainly remain there longer throughout the life of the rotor. I don't know if the curved vs. straight slots makes a big difference or not. Only you can decide if the extra slot and the extra depth of the slots is worth almost twice as much money. These rotors are mostly used on track cars and some drivers want every advantage they can get. I hope that clears up things a bit and thank you for your question.
Actually, if you read the description, the width, not the depth, is specified. I went with the Sebro slotted rotors front and rear and the Hawk ceramic pads for low dust and a wide operating temperature range.

I'm curious to see what the Sebro slotted rear rotors look like. Most brands of slotted rotors are directional, implying that different rotors are needed for the left and right sides, but there was not such option for my 996.2 at Pelican and there was no photograph.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:35 PM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrMEMS
I'm curious to see what the Sebro slotted rear rotors look like. Most brands of slotted rotors are directional, implying that different rotors are needed for the left and right sides, but there was not such option for my 996.2 at Pelican and there was no photograph.
I was pleased to receive right front, left front, right rear, and left rear Sebro rotors with six slots each. The two rear rotors have the same part number at Pelican.

Note that the tops of the slots lean toward the rear of the car.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:30 PM
Robstevens
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Dr mems, how is that setup that you installed last fall working? My driving style is similar. Also which Sebring slotted rotors did you end up getting? Part no?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:00 PM
DrMEMS
Rennlist Member

I'm happy with the rotors, but I don't know if I'd notice a performance difference so far. I got them from Pelican.
* Front left: 996-351-405-01-M896
* Front right: 996-351-406-01-M896 (yes, the part number is the same as the left)
* Rear: 996-352-401-04-M896 x2 (same part number for left and right, but I got the correct pair as seen in the photos above)

I selected the Hawk Performance Ceramic brake pads mainly for less brake dust.
* Front: PEL-HB550Z-634
* Rear: PEL-HB290Z-583
They do produce less dust, unlike the Cool Carbon pads that they replaced.
The downside is less friction. I have to brake harder for the same braking force in slowing the car. I still have plenty of braking power when getting off the freeway and testing this by slamming on the brakes. Initially I thought this could be due to the pads and rotors needing to break in (and I did follow Hawk's bed-in instructions), but after a few months I still have to brake harder. I also think that the braking is less linear, in that the brake force increases over a few seconds as the pads heat up. This correlates with the data Hawk shows at their website, in which the coefficient of friction increases dramatically as the temperature rises from room temperature. At really high temperatures, it falls off like most brakes do. I think for the next pad replacement I might go back to the Cool Carbon.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:15 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 696 Posts

I run the Cool Carbon pads and have found them to be very good, still some brake dust, but good pads overall. Brake dust is just something we have to put up with.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:02 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I also really like the cool carbon pads , I’ve used sebro rotors ( oem supplier) and been happy with them
I’ve used both slottted and drilled sebros .

i find the cool carbons less dusty than the textar oem pads . While on track days I use ebc pads but for fast street use the cool carbons stop very well and are fade free
Old 02-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Robstevens
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mems thanks for those part numbers - I can't seem to decipher the pelican site. I assume those are the coated ones?

I ended up getting some leftover pagid sport pads - hopefully these will be good for aggressive street and some on track instruction duty.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:04 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

I need to replace the rotors and pads on my 2004 C2 this year. Last year I installed Stoptech rotors and Porterfield street pads on my 968 and very happy with them. Anyone use this combination on your 996s? Low dust and great stopping. I don't track my car but drive aggressively on mountain roads.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,576 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by az968gpw
I need to replace the rotors and pads on my 2004 C2 this year. Last year I installed Stoptech rotors and Porterfield street pads on my 968 and very happy with them. Anyone use this combination on your 996s? Low dust and great stopping. I don't track my car but drive aggressively on mountain roads.
I bought some used Porterfield R-4 brake pads from another local Rennlister for a couple of track days (who buys used brake pads, lol), and just slapped them on my stock rotors. They performed quite well on the track. The only problem was that they would squeal, but I didn’t install the anti-squeal backings, so that could have been why. I swapped back the stock pads and the squeal is gone.

One thing I did notice was that the porterfields required a noticeably more amount of brake pedal pressure than stock street pads on initial bite. So that’s exactly the trade off mentioned above by DrMEMS

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommendations for 996 Brake Pads & Rotors