Sponsored by:

Reference to IMS "Shaft Seals" replaced in maintenance records

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 12:10 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reference to IMS "Shaft Seals" replaced in maintenance records

02 C4 bought in Jan this year. I have records dating back to when the original owner leased the car in 02. At 77K miles a second gear syncro was bad so the dealer pulled the tranny for repair. A clutch, RMS and IMS shaft seals were replaced.

Do you think this means the IMS bearing was replaced? What are IMS shaft seals if not? Sorry for my ignorance, but it just isn't super clear on the old paperwork.

Thanks all.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:31 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

No...This is a common misconception - whether it was purposely misleading is the "big" question. A "seal" is a seal... A "bearing" is a bearing... Many Dealers and/or Shops replaced the IMS seal to cure/stop a leak at that area. The problem with that "fix" was that it often led the owner to believe the potential problems with the bearing were fixed because it was no longer leaking oil - when in reality, it could be imploding behind that nice new seal.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:33 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 209 Posts

Most likely they replace the seals on the IMS bearing flange and not touch the bearing itself.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:06 PM
AzDropTop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. The original owner was in her 60's and did everything, well, 95% of everything, at the dealer. I kind of figured the dealer wouldn't do the IMS anyway. I am looking at an IMSB when I need a clutch.

Quick Reply: Reference to IMS "Shaft Seals" replaced in maintenance records