Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Classic Radio Navigation System in a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 02:09 PM
dyerhaus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
It would be helpful to the Rennlist community if you'd post pictures of the install and your current OEM system. Thank you!
I'd love to do that… but, I can't post pictures of the install as I didn't do it! There was so much after market crap in there (head unit, amp, crossovers, speakers, nav unit), that I didn't want to risk screwing something up. So, I took it in to a stereo shop that specializes in Porsche. Yes, that exists! I will, however, post a before and after picture. I just haven't had a chance to take a shot of the new install yet. Will do that today or tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:16 PM
dyerhaus
Advanced

Originally Posted by b3freak
The SD memory slot for music works in the same manner as a USB thumb drive. You save you music in a digital file like mp3, put the memory card in the slot, follow the playback instructions, and wahhh la... you have digital music. The Map memory card I assume is to store the most recent map information similar to the days of PCM1 and PCM2 where the map data was stored on DVD discs.
Yep, I got all that… the questions I have are much more technical. In fact, here they are, just in case anyone knows the answers.

In regards to the microSD card for music (NOT the Maps microSD card):

1. Can the microSD card slot accept microSDXC cards, or is it only able to read microSDHC cards?

2. Is there a maximum capacity for the microSD card that the system can read?

3. The microSD card that came with the system for the music side (not maps) is also write protected (locked). Is it safe to unlock this and write files to it?

4. The file format of the microSD card is MS-DOS (FAT32). Does the microSD card have to be that format, or can it be MacOS Extended (aka HFS+)? This makes writing to the card much easier on a Mac, which is what I use (I have no access to a PC).

5. The microSD card that came with the system for the music side (NOT the Maps microSD card) has a “device.nng.” file on it. The .nng file extension is most commonly used by the Pioneer AVIC navigation unit. These files contain the serial number assigned to the associated navigation device. The NNG file is used to synchronize the Pioneer AVIC unit with the Poicon Speedcam service.
— is that .nng file needed?

6. If the .nng file is needed, does it need to be transferred to a new card in the event I purchase a new, higher capacity card?

7. How can music be managed on the microSD card and USB drive (or - what’s the file structure needed for reading music off a USB drive or the microSD card)? Can the music files sit in nested folders (Artist/Album/Song), or do they need to be sitting loose on the drive?

In regards to the microSD card for Maps:

1. How regularly are the maps updated? Porsche documentation just states “periodically” and TomTom offers no support at all.

2. TomTom generally offers free updates of maps on new devices, does Porsche not offer this (even though it’s using TomTom maps)?

3. If Porsche does not offer free map updates, then I could understand that each year a new map would need to be purchased if you want to stay current. However, TomTom generally releases quarterly updates at no cost. Are these updates not available to PCRN owners?

Last edited by dyerhaus; 03-26-2017 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Typo!
Old 10-04-2017, 04:34 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Any more pics of it installed? Im strongly considering this option along with updating my speakers.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:56 AM
dyerhaus
Advanced

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
Any more pics of it installed? Im strongly considering this option along with updating my speakers.
Here's a shot of it installed. I love it and I think it's a great option, but, it's not without its quirks. You can read my write-up on it here:

Life with PCRN

Here's a shot of it in my 2001 996. I don't really know how to take better pictures of it. It's just a head unit in the car! But, if there's any particular angles you want, just let me know.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Meshe Dwell
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this compatible with pcm1 bose amplifier?

Originally Posted by Vandalizer

The amber is a closer match in person than this photo shows. I suppose you choose select the white option as well. The green looks cool but doesn't fit obviously.

thanks for kindly post, i want to make audio like this,
is this compatible with originally pcm1 bose amplifier
on front of trunk?
Thanks for read my reply.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:39 PM
alfonso stasi
1st Gear

Default Got the classic radio into 996

My factory radio screen had blown out a few months back and wasn’t sure what to do next . Was close to putting in aftermarket double din flat touch screen but that had meant that I had to move my heat cluster and whole lot of work to make this happen and I knew I still wouldn’t be happy with the aftermarket look of this , I had seen the classic radio loved it but wasn’t sure if it would work in my 996. Check this site it wasn’t looking to good , then went to my friends at the dealer still couldn’t get a straight answer. It bothered me so much because at the end of the day it’s just a radio I couldn’t get over it not working. So I got it any way,Brought it to my radio guy had no issues plug and play everything . He couldn’t get over how nice radio it was quality wise . My car is a ‘02 Carrera convertable rear wheel drive .
Old 12-16-2018, 02:55 PM
WSJ
3rd Gear

Default I have extra Porsche Classic Radio Navigation

Still unopened. Decided to go with Continental option instead. Get in contact with reasonable offer!
Old 12-16-2018, 05:10 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by WSJ
Still unopened. Decided to go with Continental option instead. Get in contact with reasonable offer!
I thought about replacing my CDR-220 with the Porsche classic radio, but when I saw the price and realized that it did not support the HAES amps in the front, I knew it wouldn't work out. Having to convert speaker level output to standard line level pre-amp output is the big problem for me. Continental units have the same draw backs.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:16 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 158 Posts

When I first saw this radio, I thought this is a got to have item to update a single din radio. After having spent $3g for NAV in my daily driver (no apple play at the time), and now I exclusively use my phone and Waze. I would suggest that this radio will soon look quite dated.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:08 AM
WSJ
3rd Gear

Thank you NProfessor. Based on reading multiple threads, the folks at www.bergvillfx.com have an adapter which would make the continental install plug and play, and compatible with the Haes amp described.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:18 PM
WSJ
3rd Gear

Vandalizer-I bought the radio but have not installed yet. I got a great deal on it for $875. I was wondering if you still loved it. I don't love the usb/ipod attachment. Is it functional? If you had to do it over, would you still go with PCRN over say the Continental option?
Old 01-05-2019, 03:17 PM
irule
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dyerhaus
Nice! I still have the CR-210 from my Boxster. However, this is what it looks like right now:

i want to do this too.

Last edited by irule; 01-06-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:29 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

Looks like a gt3 console delete and they moved the bin from the center console into the radio spot. I ran my ‘00 like that for awhile, but eventually reinstalled the radio.

Quick Reply: Classic Radio Navigation System in a 996?