Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Addvice on Just Purchased 996 C2, Preventative Maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 01:13 AM
leoj65
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Addvice on Just Purchased 996 C2, Preventative Maintenance?

Hello,
I just purchased a 1999, 996 C2 with 31,400 miles on it and am looking for advice on things to do immediately to guard against (as much is possible) a serious engine failure. I have spent a lot of time reading about 996’s in these forums but would appreciate any advice that anyone might care to give.

I guess my first question would be is there any way this car with a manufacture date of 10/98 and engine serial # of M96/0166X03304 could have a single row IMS bearing? From what I have read it would seem highly unlikely/impossible?

If not, that leads to the question with a 1%ish failure rate (double row), what if anything should I do with it? Would the age of the engine itself make the bearing seal degrade? Possibly altering the 1% failure rate in a bad way? Should I take the seals off? Add a DOF to the existing bearing? Replace?

Also what about preemptive water pump (original as far as I can tell) and thermostat changes? I know the water pump can fail and maybe cause cooling blockage but is it worth changing it just cause of it's age before it goes bad?

As for the thermostat, it runs at the proper temperature and both exhaust pipes are pristine with no soot. There is no knocking at idle.

Maybe take it to have a leak down test? A bit late now but I was not able to have a PPI done.

From the Carfax it looks like the car was owned by a corporate owner for 1 year/2000 miles, than owned by an individual for 15years/29000 miles at 2000 miles a year. The car was brought in to the shop once or twice a year for service for various reasons though sometimes it just says “servicing”. That’s the extent of the maintenance records I have.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by leoj65; 01-25-2017 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Pasted poorly
Old 01-25-2017, 01:16 AM
leoj65
Instructor

Wow didn't paste well from Word... Sorry
Old 01-25-2017, 04:37 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

There is really nothing pre-emptive that is needed, and if you get started replacing thigns before they fail then the list gets longer and loooonger.

water pump may be the only item I would worry about because it is 'cheap and easy' to replace. it will fail eventually anyways.

But again after that pre-emptive maintanence is really a waste when some part may outlive others for no particular reason.

These cars are very reliable in general. just do regular oil chaneg and inspect your oil filters for bits and enjoy the car

All big failure documented on the forum could not have been prevented by any kind of maintenance,
short of pouring thousands to open the engine for no good reason.

your early 99 model is apparently the most reliable based on recent forum comments so enjoy it not sure how much you paid for it, but remember that all maintenance you put it is money you will never get back so factor in the logic..."how much will it cost me if the engine blows up?' then think about your preventive care and the difference is the price of the gamble

it is easy to spend $5k in preventive maintenance, when a used engine installed will cost you $10k...
Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

If you feel you need to do anything to it. Change all fluids and that is all for now. You have 50000 miles to make up so simply drive it. You have the best year for a 996.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:19 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Water pump
low temp therm
AOS
LNE spin on oil filter and mag plug

Sounds like a great car
Old 01-25-2017, 09:18 AM
Anestheticg
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Look at the thread on the IMS. A dual row IMS does not eliminate a IMS failure. I have a 12/99 build car and was thinking of just letting it ride. However, there is speculation that a low mileage car is more likely to have an issue. My car has 378xx miles. If it has 90k miles my mechanic said to just leave IMS but given the low miles I opted to get it done. If I didn't get it done and IMS fails the car is a loss so you really have to weigh the cost benefit for yourself
Old 01-25-2017, 09:43 AM
relinuca
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My 2cents

If, if, if you are committed to keeping the car long term and its as nice as you seem to think (Get an outsider's opinion on this), I would invest in replacing the IMSB, AOS, etc., and any other components that flunk a close inspection by a skilled Tech.

Then drive it regularly and enjoy!

relinuca
Old 01-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

If you do the IMS, go with the "solution." It actually increases the integrity of the IMS system, Otherwise just roll with what you have.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:38 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
There is really nothing pre-emptive that is needed, and if you get started replacing thigns before they fail then the list gets longer and loooonger.

water pump may be the only item I would worry about because it is 'cheap and easy' to replace. it will fail eventually anyways.

But again after that pre-emptive maintanence is really a waste when some part may outlive others for no particular reason.

These cars are very reliable in general. just do regular oil chaneg and inspect your oil filters for bits and enjoy the car

All big failure documented on the forum could not have been prevented by any kind of maintenance,
short of pouring thousands to open the engine for no good reason.

your early 99 model is apparently the most reliable based on recent forum comments so enjoy it not sure how much you paid for it, but remember that all maintenance you put it is money you will never get back so factor in the logic..."how much will it cost me if the engine blows up?' then think about your preventive care and the difference is the price of the gamble

it is easy to spend $5k in preventive maintenance, when a used engine installed will cost you $10k...
But, does that $10K used engine have all that needs to be done to it?
Old 01-25-2017, 12:26 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Water pump
low temp therm
AOS
LNE spin on oil filter and mag plug

Sounds like a great car
This would be my short list too, but I'd do it in two stages:

1) LNE spin on oil filter and magnetic drain plug right away with next oil change.

2) Water pump, low temp T-stat & Air Oil Separator, start shopping around for pricing, or plan on doing yourself.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:57 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Have some fun interviewing Indies in your area. Get to know who is the best before you need them. And if you plan a diy job, check here first to learn what is involved.
Or read what an expert(not me !) says:
https://www.specr53.com/blog/diy/har...ur-m96-engine/
Old 01-25-2017, 02:22 PM
leoj65
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anestheticg
Look at the thread on the IMS. A dual row IMS does not eliminate a IMS failure. I have a 12/99 build car and was thinking of just letting it ride. However, there is speculation that a low mileage car is more likely to have an issue. My car has 378xx miles. If it has 90k miles my mechanic said to just leave IMS but given the low miles I opted to get it done. If I didn't get it done and IMS fails the car is a loss so you really have to weigh the cost benefit for yourself
Looking through the IMS thread I couldn't find the rationale for the low mile failures for both types. Is it on older cars that have low miles but degraded seals from age?

I did see where it is mentioned that during 2015 Flat6 was still getting two dozen dual row failures a year in their shop.. yikes!

When you say low miles cars are possibly more likely are we talking going from 2% failure rates to 5%? 10%?

2% I can live with.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2017, 02:23 PM
leoj65
Instructor

Thanks Jaetee.

Sounds like a good plan!

1) LNE spin on oil filter and magnetic drain plug right away with next oil change.

2) Water pump, low temp T-stat & Air Oil Separator, start shopping around for pricing, or plan on doing yourself.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:25 PM
leoj65
Instructor

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Have some fun interviewing Indies in your area. Get to know who is the best before you need them. And if you plan a diy job, check here first to learn what is involved.
Or read what an expert(not me !) says:
https://www.specr53.com/blog/diy/har...ur-m96-engine/
I better get started.

Anyone in the San Diego area have recommendations?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2017, 02:43 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by jaetee

Same here.

Quick Reply: Addvice on Just Purchased 996 C2, Preventative Maintenance?