Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does PSM light illuminate when its actively engaged?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 03:00 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Does PSM light illuminate when its actively engaged?

This may be a stupid question but I'm trying to understand the ins and outs of the handling characteristics a bit better. Does the PSM light on the dash flash/light up when the PSM is actively engaged and doing work? IE: if I take a corner hard will I know if I've pushed it to the point where PSM is doing something? I'm pretty sure I've seen the light come on, but I'm not sure if that means its now involved in stability, or if I've pushed past where it can properly maintain control.

The reason I ask is the car just seems glued to the road. Even when I have a nice wide turn on wet roads and I push it a bit I'm not getting any oversteer or understeer. In my last car (Z4) as soon as the back started to slide there would be a very noticeable jolt as the traction control kicked in and ruined the oversteer. But with the 911 thus far corners have been very smooth and it feels like the front end just powers around the corner and pulls into the line. I'm trying to determine is this is the PSM magic or just the legendary grip of the 911 + AWD. Obviously I'm taking things pretty easy as I get a better sense of how the car drives - and I'm very hesitant to turn off PSM without understanding if its actively involved in the above characteristics.

Cheers
Charlie
Old 01-23-2017, 03:06 PM
stan23
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, when PSM activates, you'll get the Triangle light on the dash and it lights up when PSM is activated, and turns off when PSM is de-activated.

I'm pretty sure your 911 can easily out handle a Z4, so probably what you're experiencing there.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

The yellow PSM light will flash when the system intervenes. I found the PSM system on my 996 C4S to be the most aggressive of the 911s that I have owned. You won't have any doubt when it is activated.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:12 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

PSM allows up to some degrees of slip angle (6 degrees?) before kicking in.

Quick Reply: Does PSM light illuminate when its actively engaged?