996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Transaxle mount tool

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 01:35 PM
Platz Da
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purchased a 996 a few months ago, swapped out the motor mounts with good results. Am now looking to swap out trans mount and was searching for a tool rental -- came across this thread and signed up with Rennlist. Any chance of getting added to knfeparty's rental list?
Old 02-18-2017, 07:32 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Platz Da
Purchased a 996 a few months ago, swapped out the motor mounts with good results. Am now looking to swap out trans mount and was searching for a tool rental -- came across this thread and signed up with Rennlist. Any chance of getting added to knfeparty's rental list?

Kfnfeparty, Feel free to put Platz Da ahead of me. I'm in no hurry. I'm like another poster who said they really don't need to replace the mount but would do so for the $70 rental. Thanks. Batman 33
Old 02-21-2017, 08:26 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

For those of you who have not yet ordered your replacement mounts, the instructions from AGA state that the mounts they provide have a small chamfer machined into one side to assist with aligning them during install. The AGA mount is a bit more expensive than ordered one somewhere else, but I would recommend going through them. Not knowing this, I just ordered one off of Amazon, but I do have access to a lathe so I'm going to machine it a bit myself. I imagine that putting the mount in the freezer and installing it cold would help as well.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:10 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"I imagine that putting the mount in the freezer and installing it cold would help as well."

^It'll make a huge difference^ Put the part in the freezer the night before you're going to do the job. I did this with wheel bearings (also kept them in a ice filled cooler in the garage until I was ready to install - no freezer in the garage, and it's a few miles from my house...) and was amazed at how easily/smoothly they went in.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:21 AM
Platz Da
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious to hear how well the tool works. Any news on the experience?
Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes sir, indeed placing the trans mount in the freezer prior to install does ease it's install. I know from experience .
Knfeparty, not sure if you had seem this thread. (Tool Loan & Registry)

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-location.html
Old 04-10-2017, 03:13 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Alright so work has had me away from home a lot, had a death in the family, etc. I haven't even gotten around to getting the 911 up on jackstands yet but I plan to do it this week and then get to shipping the tool out.

Thanks for your patience
Old 06-03-2017, 01:55 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Sorry for the ENORMOUS delay; stuff kept coming up at work or with trips, etc. I accidentally bought an e39 M5 and that consumed a lot of time.

Anyways, I used the tool today. Even with a very relaxed pace and taking lots of pictures, the whole thing from on the lift to off was 2.5 hours.

Two very strong recommendations:

1. Use a lift. I used a drive-on; a chassis lift would work too. No reason it couldn't be done on jackstands but wow it would be a pain.

2. Put the new mount bushing in the freezer, and then into a cooler full of ice so that it is very cold right as you install it.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:03 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Are you still renting this tool, or do I take it from the fact that you have it listed for sale in the classifieds that you are not accepting rentals anymore?
Old 09-05-2017, 04:55 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Funny timing, I reached out to the OP as well, he sold the tool so it isn't available for rental. Bummer, eh?
Old 09-21-2017, 12:05 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

The AGA tool seems to be available again from a new poster.

For the archives, in case you can't get this tool, the the outer race from a 2010 Audi S4 wheel bearing fit perfectly for a press mandrel. I was scrounging around the shop for something close in size and this was a made in heaven fit.

That tool must exert a lot of force. I used a 12 ton shop press and it worked pretty hard, even after cooling the new transmission bushing in the freezer for several days. It reminds me of how much I need to upgrade my hydraulic press - it is infrequently used, but is so useful every time I do use it...
Old 09-21-2017, 12:52 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
The AGA tool seems to be available again from a new poster.

For the archives, in case you can't get this tool, the the outer race from a 2010 Audi S4 wheel bearing fit perfectly for a press mandrel. I was scrounging around the shop for something close in size and this was a made in heaven fit.

That tool must exert a lot of force. I used a 12 ton shop press and it worked pretty hard, even after cooling the new transmission bushing in the freezer for several days. It reminds me of how much I need to upgrade my hydraulic press - it is infrequently used, but is so useful every time I do use it...
Yes, the force required is quite high. I have no way of measuring it easily, but I definitely think it's good that the tool uses Acme threads for higher load-bearing capability. A regular nut and bolt would have a hard time. In my case, the old mount came out relatively easily, but the new mount required more force on the way in. The tool is pricey for how relatively simple it is, but it definitely makes the job easy.

For anybody that needs to rent this tool, check this post and/or PM me:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-for-rent.html

Quick Reply: Transaxle mount tool