Sponsored by:

PPI in NE Atlanta area

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 01:17 AM
MadIrish
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default PPI in NE Atlanta area

Hi, all, been lurking here and soaking up info. Didn't see a recent post on the subject, so sorry for another PPI thread.

I am in CT and considering a '99 996 Cab in the Atlanta area. Looking for a good shop to do a PPI in the NE Atlanta 'burbs, would consider someplace as far as Gainesville. I'll be flying down for the PPI.

Any recent experiences that any of you would recommend?

TIA
Old 01-21-2017, 10:34 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Holler at these guys. I have heard nothing but good things and is in kennesaw (NE atlanta).
http://www.goldcrestmotorsports.com/contact-us-2/
Old 01-21-2017, 10:36 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Goldcrest is in Northwest Atlanta; but closer than Gainesville.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:43 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Goldcrest is in Northwest Atlanta; but closer than Gainesville.
Agreed, I had a loss of direction for a second and mixed up e and w :/ I drive past kennesaw every day youd think i knew where it was
Old 01-21-2017, 08:28 PM
MadIrish
Racer

Thanks....anyone know German Car Repair in Alpharetta...saw them on the PCA site.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:53 PM
MadIrish
Racer

After seeing a few suggestions for German Car Repair, in Apharetta, I wound up using them to PPI a '99 C2 Cab that I was interested in. I flew down for the PPI yesterday am.

I had a great experience with Alan Kidson (owner) and Jerry Weiden (their Porsche Master Mechanic). Beautiful shop, friendly, accommodating service. They worked with the seller to schedule the work (the seller sent it in by towtruck) and agreed to hold it in the shop over the weekend for pickup Monday.

Unfortunately, the PPI ended almost as soon as it began, with a number of issues identified right off the bat. Before going any further, Alan and Jerry brought me out to discuss the issues, their required or potential solutions (some of these items were not fully diagnosed, but simply identified) and to make a determination to stop right then and there (at no cost to me) or to continue. I chose not to continue.

They had no horse in the race and could easily have gone through the whole process without giving me the option. They appear to be straight shooters and professional. I'd certainly recommend them to anyone looking for a PPI in the Atlanta area.

So, a big emotional roller coaster (I woke up yesterday like a kid at Christmas), a waste of my hard earned frequent flier miles on a pretty last minute trip, but I took the opportunity to check out 4 other cars in the area after the aborted PPI, got a bit of an education, and found another likely candidate, too.

Last edited by MadIrish; 01-28-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:54 PM
Dpazos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MadIrish
After seeing a few suggestions for German Car Repair, in Apharetta, I wound up using them to PPI a '99 C2 Cab that I was interested in. I flew down for the PPI yesterday am.

I had a great experience with Alan Kidson (owner) and Jerry Weiden (their Porsche Master Mechanic). Beautiful shop, friendly, accommodating service. They worked with the seller to schedule the work (the seller sent it in by towtruck) and agreed to hold it in the shop over the weekend for pickup Monday.

Unfortunately, the PPI ended almost as soon as it began, with a number of issues identified right off the bat. Before going any further, Alan and Jerry brought me out to discuss the issues, their required or potential solutions (some of these items were not fully diagnosed, but simply identified) and to make a determination to stop right then and there (at no cost to me) or to continue. I chose not to continue.

They had no horse in the race and could easily have gone through the whole process without giving me the option. They appear to be straight shooters and professional. I'd certainly recommend them to anyone looking for a PPI in the Atlanta area.

So, a big emotional roller coaster (I woke up yesterday like a kid at Christmas), a waste of my hard earned frequent flier miles on a pretty last minute trip, but I took the opportunity to check out 4 other cars in the area after the aborted PPI, got a bit of an education, and found another likely candidate, too.
Sorry to hear about the brain damage. I went through several too until I found the right car. Continue the search!
Old 01-29-2017, 08:05 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow, that stinks you struck out, but better now than later.

Can you share what the major red flags were with us?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:28 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Can you share what the major red flags were with us?

My car came with a frunk-load of red flags and butt-load of "it's going to blow up at any minute" BS. Almost two years later, aside from normal wear and tear (i.e. tires, brakes, etc.), the car has been a blast and reliable thrill ride every time.

But as Woody asked, I would also like to know what the shop identified as serious problem areas.

Quick Reply: PPI in NE Atlanta area