Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Practical ways to measure lift, downforce and drag on a 996 (?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:17 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Practical ways to measure lift, downforce and drag on a 996 (?)

I've just posted a thread with a very similar title in the performance modifications forum, here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/performa...l#post13898932

(As a 996 owner, I thought of posting here, but then I realized that this will equally interest/disinterest owners of virtually any other 2 door Porsche, and maybe even some 4 door Porsche owners as well. And it seemed silly to have one discussion in the 996 forum, another in the 997 forum, etc.

On the other hand, the performance mod forum doesn't get a lot of traffic. Solution? Threads like this in a few forums to let anyone interested know to go to the performance mod forum.

Hope this is helpful!)
Old 01-21-2017, 01:09 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Move it to the racing and DE forum. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people that frequent it.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:27 AM
captain pabst
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Linear potentiometers with a Data Aquisition tool of some sort measuring the length of shock on level ground parked and at speed the change in length (+/-) vs spring rates should be able to help calculated out.

For drag a wind tunnel would work
Old 01-21-2017, 12:48 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Hey RS, Post some pictures of your 996 when you have time. You know my position on this topic. My non-scientific opinion, is that my car with the TT bumper doesn't seem to float at higher speeds. When I first bought my 996 and opened it up on an empty highway (I'm serious when I say "empty" because if I were to wreck, I don't want to hit any innocent drivers.), it would tend to shift from left to right. This phenomena would occur with exceeding 90 mph and it seemed to float around from the front of the car making it seem very difficult to keep it on a straight line. After installing the TT bumper, I noticed the car wouldn't float anymore... solid way above 100 mph. But I'm not a speed demon like some of the chaps on this forum. If I ever open it up, its on a straight away with NO one as far as the eye can see. I mostly like to take the car up to the mountain roads and most of the time, your averaging 40 mph, but it seems a helluva lot faster around those curves. But this, IMHO, is what these cars are made for.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Practical ways to measure lift, downforce and drag on a 996 (?)