Sponsored by:

Inserting Transmission Mount Mk1

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 12:20 AM
RRTEC
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Inserting Transmission Mount Mk1

installing this mount without custom or specialty tools is not seeming possible. I tried to pull it through using a rigged setup that should have worked but I didn't feel comfortable as it was pulling on the rubber center and not on the metal sleeve. I really wanted to mate this to the trans and install this weekend but it's not looking good.

I called a lot of trans shops and a few machine shops today and no-one wants to touch it....has anyone here installed it at home without a tool or press?

I am working on building tool 2.0 tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:40 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I do not have first hand knowledge of this job, but if I were going to do it I would probably buy this: http://www.function-first.com/produc...s-mount-insert

But it sounds like you have already pulled the old and are putting in a new OEM mount, so the function first insert is no longer an option. If your new mount has a metal outer ring you could try freezing it overnight before insertion and hope it shrinks just enough to make it possible without a press. Wondering if a really big C-clamp would work as a portable press?

If that doesn't work, the tranny will probably need to come out and you'll need to take it somewhere that has a large press.

I'm sure there's someone on this forum who has done this job first hand who can give some pointers.

Good luck.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:12 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

A wheel bearing kit should do the job. Put the bushing in the freezer overnight and grease the inner surface of the area the bushing is being pressed into.

Last edited by dporto; 01-20-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:40 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming you checked out the Pelican thread and cut around the old one etc?

Here it is for reference:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ion_Mounts.htm

Time to get the new one in the Freezer.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:39 PM
RRTEC
Racer

I have the old one removed, that is not the problem. I followed pelican's article although my issue is I do not own a press and no local shops will install it due to the risk to reward ratio... Their instructions require a press..

I am having to build my own rig as I am out of options. I built a tool that I feel was putting undue stress on the center rubber so I am working on my new tool now and should be able to try it tomorrow.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:22 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I was going to make an insert tool this spring. Hopefully, you will be open to renting once you get it built. And yes, the pressure must be applied to the outer metal hub of the new mount, not the inner two-bolt hole hub.

I was thinking of a billet slug with two holes in it and a couple of long bolts and nuts to draw the mount into the housing. I have a lathe, and with a couple hours, should be able to fab it up.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:32 PM
dblvanos
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You making a tool like this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jwznwND__zc
Old 01-20-2017, 10:34 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by dblvanos

^^This is an excellent video^^ - The tool while very nicely done is a little pricey at $300.00. Obviously if you're a professional, it pays for itself with the first bushing replacement - not a bad price at all (and you get get to write off the price of the tool). For the DIY'er I think you could fashion something based on this fairly easily - perhaps even modifying a readily available bearing press.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:26 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dblvanos

Yes, but without the cylinder mandrel. I was going to just use common sense and have the installer watch what the hell they are doing on guiding it in straight. However the mandrel guide is a good idea.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:11 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Well 2.0 didn't work... I am going to try to modify 2.0 into 2.1 tomorrow. I need to run to big box orange store for some more supplies.. ugg
Old 01-22-2017, 12:16 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Keep us informed on your success. I've also been asking around if anyone has a trans out on a bench so I could make the tool on the bench before working under the car. Usually tool making requires several versions and mods to get it useable as you've discovered. So far, no one has a trans out that I could work with. Oh well, I'm not in a rush. Hope your's comes to fruition and again - you are willing to rent it out for a small fee later!
Old 01-22-2017, 12:37 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

I've got a tranny on the bench. its my race car spare. I would be happy to help develop it.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:03 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

A Forum tool rental program would be great!
Old 01-22-2017, 07:35 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltusler
I've got a tranny on the bench. its my race car spare. I would be happy to help develop it.
Are you near fort Worth? Could I come over and cut the old mount out of your tranny?
Old 01-22-2017, 09:25 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Man... I got it in there with a version of the tool I made for $10. It took about two hours for no good reason. But it is in and ready to go. I mated the trans to the engine I will post some pictures of my tool tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Inserting Transmission Mount Mk1