996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Looking for a 996 project car - The journey begins

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 02:17 AM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 10 Posts

Finally got a bit of free time to continue working on the 996. First mod on the list: FisterD mufflers.

Rear bumper removed and mufflers pulled off the car:

Bumper and shields hosed down and cleaned:

Post modification and cleanup by Darin at FisterD:

The magic sauce:

Cleaned up prepped for re-install:

Bolted in:

Shield on:

Repeat on the other side, and then slide the bumper skin back on.

A relatively easy install, though the most painful part was re-aligining the tips so they are even on both sides. Luckily, Darin adjusted bolts so they are accessible from under the car.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:21 AM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

The car is absolutely transformed with the upgraded mufflers. Sound at idle or when off throttle is only marginally louder than stock... but it absolutely growls when on throttle, making heel-toe downshifts an absolute blast.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:25 AM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Here's a quick update on where I am on the slippery slope.

Maintenance
Clean out front radiators (done)
Unclog drain holes (done)
Coolant/Oil/brake fluids (done)
Blackstone oil analysis (done - clean report)
Current IMSB pulled and inspected (done - OEM dual row in good condition)
Transmission fluid (done)
Alignment (done - GT3 spec)

Parts on order
Ben's shifter upgrade

Parts Installed
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires
NGK Spark Plugs & new coils
New Serpentine Belt
FVD Motorsport Oil Pan with upgraded baffle
Magnetic oil drain plug
New Air filter
New Pollen Filter
New Water Pump
New Dual-Mass Flywheel
EPS Clutch
Wevo semi solid engine mounts
LN Low temp thermostat
GT3 coilovers
Tarett Monoball Camber Plates - Front
Tarett sway bar mounts
IMSB - dual row LN retrofit
OEM Fuel tank valve
New AOS
New RMS
New chain tensioners
Tarett Adjustable Endlinks - Rear
GT3 Console Delete + AC/HVAC control trim to relocate climate unit to dash
Clear side markers
Fister Exhaust
Old 04-09-2017, 02:08 AM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Had some free time this afternoon so I did the radiator fan switch hack to allow me to turn on the high speed radiator fans on demand on hot days or at the track.

Overall it was a pretty easy install per the instructions found on RL and RT.

1. I ran a wire connecting the ground pins (#85) of the #20 and #22 relays located under the dash in the driver side footwell.

2. I then ran a wire from the #20 relay ground pin to a switch. The other connection of the switch was then run to a chassis ground point. I used this screw as the ground point:

3. I then installed the switch in a discreet location close to the relay box (I used the plastic guard at the bottom of the box as my mount point).

It's completely hidden unless you know where to look.

Not as convenient as a dash switch, but I can reach it with relative ease, and don't expect that I'll be using it that often. It's just nice to know I have the control while stuck in traffic on hot California days.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:12 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by MiataR
hot California days.
I have a vague memory of those days...

Nice job on the Fisters! IMHO, it's the best mod for these cars.
Old 04-11-2022, 04:46 AM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

It's been a while since I last posted on this thread, but life and then covid got in the way. Beyond regular maintenance, the only thing that has changed since my last upgrade was the addition of the GT3 wheels to complete the package.

I've been enjoying the car immensely (though ended up driving it infrequently during the covid years), but it's time to move it on.

For anyone who's looking for a well sorted 966, I've listed it in the marketplace for what I hope is a fair price (https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1297006).

As always, feedback is welcome.

Last edited by MiataR; 04-11-2022 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 176 Posts

Car looks great.

Slightly off topic but you've had some awesome 911s (G50 3.2, 993, 993 C2S) how does the 996 stack up against those. A G50 coupe and a '95 993 are peak 911 for me.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:42 PM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sam-Son
Car looks great.

Slightly off topic but you've had some awesome 911s (G50 3.2, 993, 993 C2S) how does the 996 stack up against those. A G50 coupe and a '95 993 are peak 911 for me.
Thanks. The 996 is definitely the best handling of the bunch (with light mods) and has all the modern amenities that make it easy to live with as a daily. It's a great combination and very underrated right now. I expect that 10 years from now, people will be looking back in astonishment at the current prices. I'm sad to see it go (once it sells) and am eager to keep it in the Rennlist family.

Loved the G50 coupe, it was the car I got to commemorate my wedding so it has a special place in my heart. It was noisy and smelly. The new wife was not too impressed.

The C2S was sex on wheels... an ok handling car, but hands down the most beautiful car I've ever owned. I eventually caved under the pressure to sell it when the market went crazy. I enjoyed my time with it, but don't regret selling it.

But, as with you, my 95 993 was the best of the bunch. God I miss that car. It was as far from a daily as you could get while still being street legal. The neighbors hated me because of the supercups, every street racer wanted to have a go because of the aero kit, but I loved that car. It also had history as a 3-times Rennlister car. I managed to dig up my old thread on it, a bit of a trip down memory lane:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...e-aligned.html

Old 04-12-2022, 02:31 PM
damage98MO
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 210 Posts

Hi @MiataR 3 quick questions for you. But first, I MUST make time to read the entire thread. I'm currently in Year 1 of a 996 project, and have so far sunk about 11K into replacing old worn parts, though some of that $ went on PCCM Plus and sport exhaust. Thanks for this cool thread. Last weekend I installed the Function First Shift right kit. Working on this car is a blast. BUT, I'm not a mechanic, have no lifts or even jack stands, no breaker bars or torque wrenches, no ratcheting closed head wrench etc. The cost of those tools, while over time might be 'worth it', might be more than it will cost to have my sport exhaust installed. I'm trying to decide.
So, My Q's,
a) do you have to remove the bumper to do the exhaust (muffler) removal and replacement? I see that you did it, but others claim to have done the fitting without bumper / heatshield removal. Thoughts?
b) Also if you have a minute, can you list the tools you used to replace mufflers? I think I know what I need but is there anything that's not mentioned in Project 47 in the 101 projects book? I think, regardless of what I decide to do, I will go to advancedauto up the street and get a jack and two stands. Then I can lift up the rear and get some liquid wrench (I'm a NC resident) on the various fittings.
c) .one more thing. I purchased my exhaust from topgear UK, it's a valded exhaust. Online research shows me the hardware they include is sub par. Did you use new gaskets and hangers / clips? I might as well order the hardware in preparation. What did you have to buy? Thanks in advance!

I might have already used up my questions for the day, week?, I know we are all busy. If you do not reply I will not take it personally. Thanks for sharing your project with us.
Old 04-12-2022, 04:14 PM
Sam-Son
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by MiataR
Thanks. The 996 is definitely the best handling of the bunch (with light mods) and has all the modern amenities that make it easy to live with as a daily. It's a great combination and very underrated right now. I expect that 10 years from now, people will be looking back in astonishment at the current prices. I'm sad to see it go (once it sells) and am eager to keep it in the Rennlist family.

Loved the G50 coupe, it was the car I got to commemorate my wedding so it has a special place in my heart. It was noisy and smelly. The new wife was not too impressed.

The C2S was sex on wheels... an ok handling car, but hands down the most beautiful car I've ever owned. I eventually caved under the pressure to sell it when the market went crazy. I enjoyed my time with it, but don't regret selling it.

But, as with you, my 95 993 was the best of the bunch. God I miss that car. It was as far from a daily as you could get while still being street legal. The neighbors hated me because of the supercups, every street racer wanted to have a go because of the aero kit, but I loved that car. It also had history as a 3-times Rennlister car. I managed to dig up my old thread on it, a bit of a trip down memory lane:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...e-aligned.html
Appreciate the insight!

I have seat time in 964s, 3.2 carreras, 997s, 991s. Love the way the 996 drives but have never driven a 993. On principle it seems like the perfect combo of 996 handling with the aircooled charm (no wonder they're so valuable ) Your feedback seems to corroborate.

Old 04-12-2022, 10:03 PM
MiataR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by damage98MO
Hi @MiataR 3 quick questions for you. But first, I MUST make time to read the entire thread. I'm currently in Year 1 of a 996 project, and have so far sunk about 11K into replacing old worn parts, though some of that $ went on PCCM Plus and sport exhaust. Thanks for this cool thread.
You're welcome, this sounds like a familiar tale of the slippery slope of improvements and modifications. This is the most fun part of any project for me.

Last weekend I installed the Function First Shift right kit. Working on this car is a blast. BUT, I'm not a mechanic, have no lifts or even jack stands, no breaker bars or torque wrenches, no ratcheting closed head wrench etc. The cost of those tools, while over time might be 'worth it', might be more than it will cost to have my sport exhaust installed. I'm trying to decide.
So, My Q's,
a) do you have to remove the bumper to do the exhaust (muffler) removal and replacement? I see that you did it, but others claim to have done the fitting without bumper / heatshield removal. Thoughts?
I don't think it's absolutely required, but it makes it much easier to do with the bumper off and is not that hard. This was also an opportunity for me to clean the area thoroughly.

b) Also if you have a minute, can you list the tools you used to replace mufflers? I think I know what I need but is there anything that's not mentioned in Project 47 in the 101 projects book? I think, regardless of what I decide to do, I will go to advancedauto up the street and get a jack and two stands. Then I can lift up the rear and get some liquid wrench (I'm a NC resident) on the various fittings.
It's been a while, but I just used standard tools that I had in my tool box. A full socket set, Phillips screwdrivers, etc. It really doesn't required any special tools.

IIRC, I just followed the instructions on Pelican: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...ce_Exhaust.htm

c) .one more thing. I purchased my exhaust from topgear UK, it's a valded exhaust. Online research shows me the hardware they include is sub par. Did you use new gaskets and hangers / clips? I might as well order the hardware in preparation. What did you have to buy? Thanks in advance!
Hm, others might be able to help you better with this question. Since I was putting the stock (Fister modified) mufflers back on, I just used the OEM hardware. You may want to check the link from Pelican posted above as it may specify additional parts you can order.

I might have already used up my questions for the day, week?, I know we are all busy. If you do not reply I will not take it personally. Thanks for sharing your project with us.
No problem, glad to help!
The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (04-13-2022)

Quick Reply: Looking for a 996 project car - The journey begins