Pilot Bearing Removal/install

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 10:56 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pilot Bearing Removal/install

My People,

I have been wrestling with the pilot bearing in the flywheel. I can't get the old one out. I have soaked it in PB blaster, hammered on it, tried using a lifter puller...

question to those of you who have actually done this service.. how did you get it out??

Also pro tips on re-install would be appreciated.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:47 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4421-Bear...bearing+puller

Check with your local O'Reilly's to borrow. Or, you can just buy one. Any of the inner or blind pilot bearing pullers will do.

Use a long socket just slightly smaller diameter than the outer race of the bearing to put the new one in. Must rest on the outer race of the bearing. Or, you could spring for a bearing driver kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-19-Piec...bearing+driver

Or again, check with O'Reillys for rent/borrow.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:39 AM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two ways, one fill the center full of grease and use a punch to create hydraulic pressure, or pack it full of wet newspaper to do the same thing. I've been using both methods for years and they have never failed. YouTube using grease to remove bearings, there are tons of videos

to install, use a socket just smaller than the outer race as suggested above
Old 01-10-2017, 01:11 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RRTEC
My People,

I have been wrestling with the pilot bearing in the flywheel. I can't get the old one out. I have soaked it in PB blaster, hammered on it, tried using a lifter puller...

question to those of you who have actually done this service.. how did you get it out??

Also pro tips on re-install would be appreciated.
Thu=is could go horribly wrong so I'll suggest a few cautionary strategies.

Fill the hole with Kroil- for days.This is no time for home-brew or snake oil penetrants.

1.Get a new bearing and carefully measure the thickness. That is all the 'land' surface area you have to pull on. Not much !So be careful not to mangle it.
2.Get a 3 jaw puller that fits or any expanding mandrel that really fills the hole. You will need to grind down the back of the jaws a little to fit. But first -Grind the leading edge of the 'tooth' to fit the radius of the bearing perfectly. Grind the tooth back a little if the remaining part looks weak.
3. Use a slide hammer not the hand wheel to extract. Impact is your friend,not tension.
4.Consider using your dental skills/tools to cut slightly into the bearing -along it's length. If you cut through a little ,it does not matter -much.
Try tapping the bearing in fractionally deeper while immersed in Kroil. If you can break part of the 'seal' this way ,it will help.
Most of all get a good quality puller with small proportions.
Or take the flywheel to a Machine Shop with a few 6 packs.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:58 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by m3driver
Two ways, one fill the center full of grease and use a punch to create hydraulic pressure,YouTube using grease to remove bearings, there are tons of videos
This works for sure. You can even use a piece of wooden dowel rod as your "punch". Anything that closely fits the hole so the hydraulic pressure from the grease goes where you want it to and pushes the bearing out.
Old 01-10-2017, 03:42 PM
m3driver
Racer

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Thu=is could go horribly wrong so I'll suggest a few cautionary strategies.

Fill the hole with Kroil- for days.This is no time for home-brew or snake oil penetrants.

1.Get a new bearing and carefully measure the thickness. That is all the 'land' surface area you have to pull on. Not much !So be careful not to mangle it.
2.Get a 3 jaw puller that fits or any expanding mandrel that really fills the hole. You will need to grind down the back of the jaws a little to fit. But first -Grind the leading edge of the 'tooth' to fit the radius of the bearing perfectly. Grind the tooth back a little if the remaining part looks weak.
3. Use a slide hammer not the hand wheel to extract. Impact is your friend,not tension.
4.Consider using your dental skills/tools to cut slightly into the bearing -along it's length. If you cut through a little ,it does not matter -much.
Try tapping the bearing in fractionally deeper while immersed in Kroil. If you can break part of the 'seal' this way ,it will help.
Most of all get a good quality puller with small proportions.
Or take the flywheel to a Machine Shop with a few 6 packs.
The grease or newspaper method is not a snake oil or homebrew method. It's actually fluid mechanics, which is just a pesky little part of physics, you know science stuff.

There is no "seal" per say to be broken. The method you have suggested will doubtfully work, and take an incredable amount of unnecessary amount of time, and increase the chances for colateral damage.

I did read somewhere it was suggested you just remove said flywheel and tap out the bearing from the back
Old 01-10-2017, 03:43 PM
m3driver
Racer

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
This works for sure. You can even use a piece of wooden dowel rod as your "punch". Anything that closely fits the hole so the hydraulic pressure from the grease goes where you want it to and pushes the bearing out.
I've used bolts, dowels, floats, and actual punches. Like you said, you need something close to the size
Old 03-27-2019, 03:09 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you everyone, I have now a nice little list:
  • Inspect clutch
  • Inspect pilot bearing
  • Inspect flywheel (don't expect issue)
  • Inspect or just replace RMS
  • Maybe replace IMS
  • Clean/replace clutch fork, throwout bearing and spring
  • Inspect engine mount
  • Replace transmission mount

duh...wrong forum....too much alt-tab at work I guess

Last edited by turbogrill; 03-27-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:43 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by m3driver
I did read somewhere it was suggested you just remove said flywheel and tap out the bearing from the back
I'm pretty sure this is the "method" I used... It was such a non issue that I don't even really remember what I did (hence the roflmao...). I'm sure it was simple though...
Old 03-27-2019, 04:32 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 637 Likes on 397 Posts

You remove the flywheel from the car, put the flywheel face down on some wood planks, tap it out. The direction is gear box side toward the engine side.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:52 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

It has been a while since I had mine apart, but I don’t recall the 996 bearing being in a blind hole, so the grease trick probably is best saved for a different application. As I recall, once you remove the flywheel, you can just tap it out with a ball peen hammer and suitable driver (a socket works). I have all kinds of pullers and probably have ones that would work fine, but they are kind if overkill for such a simple task. FYI, The new replacement flywheel comes with the bearing installed (at least the Luk brand does).

Quick Reply: Pilot Bearing Removal/install