Sponsored by:

FORGED WHEEL QUESTION: WHAT WOULD YOU PAY

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:54 PM
stvsxm
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
The big question I would have for Wheel Dynamics is... What brand of forge wheels are you selling? Quality of workmanship is big determining factor on what someone is willing to pay. Surely you won't be selling those cheap imitations out of Asia, right?

that's the kind of question that a guy asks when he is buying a rolex from someone in a raincoat on the street in New York. think about it.... do you really think a legit manufacturer would be doing his market research on some web site ? and if he was, he wouldn't be asking " how much would you pay? " he would be saying " see here is the picture of our foundry and factory. here is a picture of our wheels at le mans . these are the teams using them. these are the testing results and certifications . see how we compare price and quality wise with BBS and OZ . see this is where THIER wheels bend and flex and ours don't"

I can't believe that, based on their representations in this thread that they have any meaningful product to sell you if they were 25 $ per wheel.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't believe the "what do you want to pay?" approach will result in a price point your business can sustain. Pricing your product is a function of cost (labor, materials, overhead) and sales volume. Obviously I'm keeping this simple, you could get a four year degree in pricing. If you don't want to do a lot of thinking price your wheels like this. Cost x 2 = price. This is known as 50% mark up. That is considered "standard" in retail. I doubt there is anyway you could sell for less and sustain the business because Porsche wheels are a low volume (relatively speaking) market, as opposed to coffee which is a high volume market.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:11 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by ejdoherty911
Cost x 2 = price. This is known as 50% mark up. That is considered "standard" in retail.
Your math is off a bit... Cost x 2 is 100% markup.

50% markup would be .50 x wholesale cost = sub total + original wholesale cost = retail price.

Or, to simplify the math: Cost x 1.5 = retail price (50% markup)

Many retailers would use the ol' formula - double it and add 10 % for contingency. That way, they could offer a half off sale and still make a little profit.

Not that I'm a expert, but after 10 years in retail and 20 years running a business, normal retail is basically this... How much can you squeeze out of a customer for the product? Doesn't matter if you're talking Lacoste shirts or Rolex watches, or what labor and materials you put in it... it's what you can get out of it. In the 80s, I worked for Levi's where we would liquidation many first and second quality jeans direct to the customer. This was back when Levi's made all their jeans in the U.S. You could buy a first quality pair of 501s for $50.00 in most retail stores. That was pretty high back then, but the Levi's liquidation store marketed to customers as ... "Half off the retail price" Therefore, you could get the same pair of 501s for $25.00. We sold them like hotcakes. As I got to know the regional manager, he handed me a invoice from Levi's with all the cost figures and those jeans cost about $7 each. Do the math.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:49 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi guys, we about a week away from releasing the designs we will make available so hang in there.

We will offer two forged wheels, one will be manufactured over seas and will have a reasonable price point while the other will be made in the USA and while it will be competitively priced for USA produced wheels it will be higher than our forged wheels made over seas.

We will provide more information as the time approaches, we are also looking to offer a nice discount to a few Porsche owners who have modified cars so that we can use for photo ops.

Thank you all again for your input,
Old 01-19-2017, 10:44 AM
stvsxm
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheel Dynamics
Hi guys, we about a week away from releasing the designs we will make available so hang in there.

We will offer two forged wheels, one will be manufactured over seas and will have a reasonable price point while the other will be made in the USA and while it will be competitively priced for USA produced wheels it will be higher than our forged wheels made over seas.

We will provide more information as the time approaches, we are also looking to offer a nice discount to a few Porsche owners who have modified cars so that we can use for photo ops.

Thank you all again for your input,

please be sure to also include the engineering and stress/ strain data as well as the lab reports from the destructive testing and materials lab with the comparative data to BBS or some other well proven and validated existing product... just so that it can be established where you stand in the real world of actual function rather than the plaid pants and white belt world of advertising and public relations...

Quick Reply: FORGED WHEEL QUESTION: WHAT WOULD YOU PAY