996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DIY Sunroof gasket/seal replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 PM
dwhitlow
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default DIY Sunroof gasket/seal replacement?

Hey everyone,
My sunroof seal on my 2002 C2 is looking a little old and shriveled, and with the amount of rain that Socal has been getting lately, water is making it's way in. My drain tubes are clear, but I'd still like to get a better seal around the sunroof when it is closed.

Has anyone done the replacement of the rubber gasket/seal around the sunroof themselves? I haven't poked around it too much yet, but it looks like it would be a headache to pull the old seal off, clean up whatever old adhesive is there, and then install the new one. I'm guessing it isn't rocket-science, but trying to get a feel for level of effort.

Anybody here done this? If so, any tips or tricks?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2017, 04:46 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have not tried it nor seen it documented anywhere...

subscribed as my sunroof seal is not looking too fresh either.

From what I can see the problem will be that the seal is onto the moving panel, so it may be a little annoying to work on the part located toward the rear, but hopefully it is just a deal of cleaning up and gluing back on. I am curious to see the part number and if it comes with some adhesive or it it is 'bring your own glue' kind of thing

Phil
Old 01-07-2017, 10:43 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 700 Posts

See Part #10 http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=811-00
P/N 99756421100 I have heard this is not difficult, it just pulls off and you put the new seal on. Some 3M Emblem and Trim adhesive would be good to use if you want to glue it down.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:33 PM
dwhitlow
Rennlist Member

Thanks DBJoe. I came up with the same part number available at Pelican for a little less as well. I poked around the seal a little this morning. I don't want to pull/tug on it too much until I have another seal in hand. I'll probably order the part and then dig a little deeper next weekend. I'm hoping it's actually just a rubber seal that fits or presses into a channel around the sunroof opening, without needing to actually be glued in.

I'll let you guys know how it goes and take some pics. It's kind of surprising how few results specific to the 996 sunroof I've been able to find either here or via Google.

Stay tuned....

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
See Part #10 http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=811-00
P/N 99756421100 I have heard this is not difficult, it just pulls off and you put the new seal on. Some 3M Emblem and Trim adhesive would be good to use if you want to glue it down.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:26 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

I wanted to do this as well but the cost of the gasket made my move onto replacing something else. Interested to see how it's done though
Old 01-08-2017, 04:15 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

see the last step:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...DY-Sunroof.htm

they talk about adhesive.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:35 AM
dwhitlow
Rennlist Member

Good find. Not sure how I missed that article, but you're right, that last step makes it look like I'll be cleaning up some old adhesive and using some new stuff when I reinstall. Not as excited to do it now, but needs to be done as the current seal isn't particularly tight.

Thanks for the the link.

Originally Posted by philooo
see the last step:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...DY-Sunroof.htm

they talk about adhesive.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:03 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

one more thing when you remove the sunroof button cover.
remove the screw as in the pelican diy, but be carefull in pulling it out
pull downward the cover from the rear.
then the front piece slide forward or you will break the tabs
Old 05-12-2021, 10:05 PM
Jedi Apprentice
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

I just ordered my sunroof seal from Pelican after the tilt function totally ripped the rear of mine out and then into the roof. Planning on using 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive to glue this in. It doesn't seem that the entire sunroof needs to be removed, can someone clarify this? Just set the sunroof back, tape the roof surfaces up to prevent errant glue and then install the new seal?

Quick Reply: DIY Sunroof gasket/seal replacement?