996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Hairline cracks in oil pan: common?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 09:56 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hairline cracks in oil pan: common?

I track my car a few times a year but otherwise it is a daily driver. While I have not had any oil starvation issues while cornering, I'd prefer to avoid the extra worry. Plus the hex head on my drain plug was stripped so I was planning on removing the pan anyways. And it would allow me to check for debris in the oil pan which was on my todo list

After a pile of research on this forum I decided to upgrade my oil pan baffle to the X51 style. I ended up purchasing the EBS X51 baffle (only) since it upgraded the X51 design by switching to steel doors. I decided not to install a deeper sump mostly because of the added risk of hitting the pan.

After successfully removing the pan (which was still full of oil) I proceeded to remove the magnetic drain plug. All good. And there was no metal or plastic debris at all inside of the pan. Even better.

However after cleaning the oil pan I noticed several hairline cracks on the inside of the pan. A few started from the drain plug but there were also minor cracks from a few other locations. None are visible from the bottom of the pan which seemed a bit odd.
I then noticed that the ridges on the bottom of the pan were deeply scratched. Clearly the pan had met with the earth on several occasions. My car was originally lowered more than it is now and I've taken it down some questionable roads so it isn't a big surprise.

Has anyone else noticed the same problem?

The pan isn't leaking so I'm pretty sure I could install it again without a problem. But obviously it should be replaced. I'm now just annoyed that I didn't buy an X51 kit that included the pan Hopefully this thread helps someone else avoid my mistake.

If anyone in Canada has an extra oil pan kicking around please let me know.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2017, 10:16 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

no cracks on my pan (stock height, zero track use, 75K miles)
Old 01-04-2017, 06:39 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

No problem with the original. If there was it would seep oil. Make sure when you replace the pan that both surfaces are perfectly clean or you will get an oil seepage right there.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:58 PM
billyboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have almost the identical cracks on the inside of my pan. I put it down to a quirk of the casting process. If it's not leaking, I'd say ignore it.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:23 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by billyboy
I have almost the identical cracks on the inside of my pan. I put it down to a quirk of the casting process. If it's not leaking, I'd say ignore it.
+1, had sold the car in 2015. Saw the "cracks" in 2009 when we had the oil pan down. Mine also had some scuffs on the bottom. Never leaked.
Get a skid plate if you are worried.
https://www.google.com/search?q=996+...9pYmC85JC_M%3A
Old 01-04-2017, 07:56 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

casting crack , so if the crack goes thru to the outside you would know it is a genuine open crack in the part
Old 01-04-2017, 11:00 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome. Thanks everyone for the responses!

Given that I don't seem to be alone and it isn't leaking now I'm going to clean it up and reinstall. I guess the main risk is that if the cracks were due to stress it might be more likely to break if it ever gets hit hard. But as fpb111 has pointed out a skid pad would reduce that risk.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:10 AM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would avoid driving it anywhere you could potentially hit the pan. I'm not sure I'd trust a skid plate
Old 01-05-2017, 02:00 AM
brianbbs67
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Without better pics, I would say mold flaws, too.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:02 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

That "skid" plate is more of a sacrificial second skin. I wouldn't put one on and go off-roading it's not strong enough for that kind of abuse. It is only held on with three screws.
One did save my pan from something?? that I drove over one rainy night. The plate was mangled and torn but the pan survived with no leaks.
One thing about it that was a pain is that oil would drip onto it during an oil change. So part of my oil change routine became button it up squirt some simple green on it and hose it off.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:21 AM
george_west
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 33 Posts

Most likely a defect in the die-casting mould. After thousands of heat cycles, the mould cracks and transfers the impression of the crack to the cast part. Only on the surface.

Quick Reply: Hairline cracks in oil pan: common?