Sponsored by:

DIY Dashboard Phone Mount for Nav / Lap Timing

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 08:42 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Default DIY Dashboard Phone Mount for Nav / Lap Timing

Just wanted to post up a simple modification I did to add a phone mount to my dashboard for use as a lap timer and satellite navigation. Obviously this is not as involved or exotic as the guys who have installed tablets in their dash and whatnot, but it’s an easy, clean modification to be able to snap your phone in and out of the dash, and I find it extremely convenient. It’s also 100% reversible in about 3 minutes if anybody ever wants the cupholders back. This is for 996.1 cars that have the dual Audi cupholders in the uppermost position, right below the center vents. It may work for other configurations, but that’s the only one I’ve worked on.

This mod begins by deleting the cupholders. Simply pry off the surround panel, remove 4 screws, and the cupholders pull out. Save the 4 screws; they will be reused.

A custom part is made which is more or less a blanking panel to cover up the gaping hole we’ve just created in the dash, and then mount something to it. In my case, the plan was to use a SlipGrip phone mount (www.slipgripcarmounts.com). They make mounts for more or less any phone, with or without a case, and the phone snaps in and out very easily; can even be done with one hand. You want to buy the simple style of mount that just has screw holes in it to attach to a RAM HOL mount, not an exotic pivoting mount or anything. Then we’ll simply screw the SlipGrip mount to our new blanking panel.

Unfortunately the nuts in the dashboard that receive the cupholder screws are not all at the same depth, so you can’t just make the blanking panel out of a flat sheet; it needs to be different thickness top and bottom, or you’d have to put spacers behind part of it, which would inevitably fall into the dash while you’re trying to assemble it. I also wanted it to have some significant thickness for stiffness, to come out flush with the surrounding dash, and so the screw heads could be recessed into it for a cleaner finish. I chose to machine my part out of black ABS to blend with the surrounding black plastic parts, but you could also make it out of aluminum and anodize it in a contrasting color. Depending on your phone’s size, you could maybe also dress up any unused space on the blanking panel with a Porsche logo or something. I decided to leave it blank for an unobtrusive look, and I biased the phone to the left side of the blanking panel so it’s less distance for eyes and hands to reach it. The dimensions shown in the drawing are what you need for the blanking panel; you’ll just need to adjust where the two central screw holes are based on the particular SlipGrip mount for your model of phone and where you want it to be relative to center. If you buy a new phone down the road, it’s easy enough to just swap out the mount, keeping the same blanking panel. Any new holes you’d have to drill should be covered by the mount anyway.

Attach the SlipGrip mount to the blanking panel with some button-head screws and locknuts from the local hardware store. Then use the original 4 screws to install the blanking panel in the car. The screws are black and blend in with the dash, so it’s not really a problem that they aren’t hidden by a vanity panel like they were with the cupholders.

A stereo unit with a front USB charging/data port and a short USB cable with right-angle connectors completes the installation. If you don’t have that, a USB charger in the cigarette lighter socket works just as well.

Pros:
1) Don’t have to mess around with suction cup mounts
2) No cables running all over the place
3) No obstruction of windshield
4) Rigid attachment of phone to car for good accelerometer measurements on track
5) Good viewing location for lap timing and navigation; in easy sight, but not distracting
6) Major weight reduction fairly high up in the car; huge lowering effect on center of mass
7) +50 bhp minimum

Cons:
1) No more cupholders in my dash (I think this is actually a pro)
2) The SlipGrip mount is not super-clean looking when the phone is not installed, but honestly does it look much worse than 2 Audi cupholders clumsily grafted into the dash?

Old 01-03-2017, 10:07 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Kudos on putting that together, great work.

For me if I wanted that kind of solution I think i'd permanently install an ipad mini in the dash that way it would look somewhat integrated and still have the functionality
Old 01-03-2017, 10:13 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
Kudos on putting that together, great work.

For me if I wanted that kind of solution I think i'd permanently install an ipad mini in the dash that way it would look somewhat integrated and still have the functionality
+996

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-99-996-a.html
Old 01-03-2017, 10:16 PM
dkraige
Pro

Yep, fair enough, that would be more integrated if done well. This only cost like $30 in materials though And also it's nice to be able to pop it in and out, since you might not want to be tied to the car when planning routes or analyzing lap data with friends or instructor. For me less is more and fewer devices in my life is a good thing. To each his own!
Old 01-03-2017, 10:18 PM
dkraige
Pro

Also this way I don't have to give up anything in the stack. Still have stereo, climate control, and a storage bin. In a car that doesn't have a glove box I have to cling to every storage area available

Quick Reply: DIY Dashboard Phone Mount for Nav / Lap Timing