Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The digging out from my money shift begins.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 05:45 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
It is notable that although fools commented about D-Chunck, casting defects could not really be the primary cause. We will gently avoid mentioning the real cause in respect of the sensitivities of the OP.
But D-Chunk may be a good fig leaf to conceal the embarrassment.
The real cause - a mistaken 4th to 1st change instead of 4th tho 5th or 3rd?
Could the cause of this engine detonation be a worn shifter - too much play in the bushings?
Another fig leaf and a hint to others (&me!)with floppy shifters?
No need to gently avoid mentioning the real cause, as I have openly admitted to the real cause since I pulled the pan. The real cause was the guy behind the wheel. Previous to that knucklehead doing what he did, the motor was in great shape with 117K mile on it, with many of them being on the track miles. The original IMSB and I believe the original clutch were both still in the car and they were in great shape when pulled (not that they will be used again).

The motor that was in this car is proof that they can be good even with high miles. Of course this car was very well maintained (thanks Gator) with a ton of service history, lots of quality oil changes, and lots of driving.

I have no doubt that if I did not make the mistake I made, the car would still be on the road with its original motor, and I would have made it through all of that last weekend at Summit Point, instead of blowing the motor 12 minutes in to the first session.

Now to get the new motor in so I don't miss the first event of the season back at Summit Point on the Shenandoah Track 4/7-4/9.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:04 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

So, is the shifter in the car with the dead engine a bit sloppy ?
I ask because of the comments about the GT3 shifter upgrade being 'like a rifle bolt' .
Without any slop in the GT3 shifter bushings, it seems less likely that this expensive mistake would occur. Just thinking about preserving your next engine for more than 117k miles ! Maybe a new shifter makes sense also ?
Old 02-03-2017, 06:24 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

So, is the shifter in the car with the dead engine a bit sloppy ?
I ask because of the comments about the GT3 shifter upgrade being 'like a rifle bolt' .
Without any slop in the GT3 shifter bushings, it seems less likely that this expensive mistake would occur. Just thinking about preserving your next engine for more than 117k miles ! Maybe a new shifter makes sense also ?
A bit sloppy yes, but nowhere near as sloppy as my old M3. I do plan on upgrading the shifter. Just waiting until I finish tearing apart the donor car since there are a ton of track bits. I may get lucky, and it may have an upgraded kit already.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:51 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is notable that although fools commented about D-Chunck, casting defects could not really be the primary cause. We will gently avoid mentioning the real cause in respect of the sensitivities of the OP.
But D-Chunk may be a good fig leaf to conceal the embarrassment.
The real cause - a mistaken 4th to 1st change instead of 4th tho 5th or 3rd?
Could the cause of this engine detonation be a worn shifter - too much play in the bushings?
Another fig leaf and a hint to others (&me!)with floppy shifters?
Lol, you're not gently avoiding anything if you're going to spell it out anyway. Anyways, the OP did title the post "digging out from my money shift".

OP, is that the normal money shift? I've had two, and it was going from 6 to 2 instead of 6 to 4 - wasn't track driving, just trying to get some quick power for a pass on the highway. I don't know much, but it sounds like the shifter is really sloppy if it happened during a straight shift.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:54 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
like a connecting rod salad in the sump.
Don't want to find humor in your situation, but that's comedy gold right there.

sorry....
Old 02-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrjonger
Lol, you're not gently avoiding anything if you're going to spell it out anyway. Anyways, the OP did title the post "digging out from my money shift".

OP, is that the normal money shift? I've had two, and it was going from 6 to 2 instead of 6 to 4 - wasn't track driving, just trying to get some quick power for a pass on the highway. I don't know much, but it sounds like the shifter is really sloppy if it happened during a straight shift.
Not sure the is a normal money shift, it was a stupid one. I had just given a point by as I started to brake, so I was quickly getting my left hand back to the wheel and moved my right hand over to make the shift. I don't really recall if I just mis-shifted or thought the car was slowed down more that it was. I really did not think much of it since the damage was not immediate, it made it two laps before it let go.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:19 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure the is a normal money shift, it was a stupid one. I had just given a point by as I started to brake, so I was quickly getting my left hand back to the wheel and moved my right hand over to make the shift. I don't really recall if I just mis-shifted or thought the car was slowed down more that it was. I really did not think much of it since the damage was not immediate, it made it two laps before it let go.
The synchro on these cars are too good. I could never have done a money shift in my Alfa Romeo gti 6. You had to double clutch on every downshift.

I did a money shift at the track. Was short shifting from 2nd to third on a slight rh turn and the g forces were pushing my hand to left and I hit 1st. Luckily I was able to put the clutch in immediately and I didn't even get an over rev on the counter.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

More progress. Donor motor is in the car! Once I got it mounted, I decided to call it a day, and I need to wait for some parts to come in to finish plumping and hooking everything back in.

Some potentially good news, discovered that the donor motor is a remanufactured from Porsche with the 997 IMS. I ultimately decided not to crack the case at this point. I did replace clutch assembly, AOS, water pump, thermostat, plugs, and a few other things.

New hoses will also be installed. If all goes well, it will be running again on Sunday.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:24 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find it funny you called it and continue to call it a money shift
Old 02-28-2017, 03:26 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by m3driver
I find it funny you called it and continue to call it a money shift
Why? That's the term. Because it costs you money.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
It could also be called:
"The Wife Wants To Kill Me Shift"
"The Wife Wants Her Garage Spot Back Shift"
"The Why Are My Friends Laughing And Pointing At Me Shift"
"The Wow Even When You Think You Are Done Spending Money, You Still Have $300 Worth of Coolant And Oil To Buy Shift"

But, I find Money Shifts sums up all of the above pretty well.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:36 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
With over 20 yrs spent on tracks all over the US, I've never heard of it, and I find it humorous.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:42 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

It could also be called:
"The Wife Wants To Kill Me Shift"
"The Wife Wants Her Garage Spot Back Shift"
"The Why Are My Friends Laughing And Pointing At Me Shift"
"The Wow Even When You Think You Are Done Spending Money, You Still Have $300 Worth of Coolant And Oil To Buy Shift"

But, I find Money Shifts sums up all of the above pretty well.
Also the "FFFFuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Shift"
Old 03-06-2017, 05:57 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

An Update! It's RUNNING!

A couple small issues to deal with. I don't think the throttle cable is routed correctly, so at start up, it is revving high.

I need to bleed the clutch since I needed to remove the slave, currently the pedal is stuck to the floor, but I need to flush the system before the first event so no big deal there.

I'll be creating a new thread detailing the differences of swapping a 2000-2002 3.4 Engine into a 1999 car since there are a few things that are different.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:10 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

congrats & gl working out the odd ends

Quick Reply: The digging out from my money shift begins.