Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The digging out from my money shift begins.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:41 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

wheeled tanks -by Bill Gates?
Old 01-01-2017, 02:06 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by docmirror
Lolz....

Subscribed. Glad to see it going together. Hope it works out. What did you give for the smashed C4? That's the trick.
I paid $10K for the crashed car. I already have a side business parting out E36 M3s, so I already have a system in place. The donor car has lots of track parts including GT3 Euro seats so lots of money to be made back (although I may end up keeping the seats for my car depending on how the other stuff sells).
Old 01-03-2017, 12:41 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
wheeled tanks -by Bill Gates?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C-jleVMORI
Mobile Gun system <> 'tank'.

So sez;

http://www.military-today.com/artillery/stryker_mgs.htm

http://military.wikia.com/wiki/M1128_Stryker_MGS

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...ehicles-05045/

http://www.gdls.com/products/stryker...ryker-MGS.html << These guys designed and built them. No where are they referred to as a 'tank'.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:42 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
I paid $10K for the crashed car. I already have a side business parting out E36 M3s, so I already have a system in place. The donor car has lots of track parts including GT3 Euro seats so lots of money to be made back (although I may end up keeping the seats for my car depending on how the other stuff sells).
Not a bad price provided the engine, trans and the modules are in working order. Parting out a dead car is a tough thing unless you have a logistics in place process. Sounds like it may work out.

Keep updates coming as you make milestones.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:24 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Is your username on BF.C 200K....something?

Any tips on how to reduce time to get out the 3rd AC compressor bolt?
Old 01-03-2017, 09:52 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

help us Jake, you're our only hope

One thing I'm curious about in the rebuild process is bank2 temp management. Do you focus on using low temp thermostat, 3rd radiator, better internals to reduce the chance of cylinder/rod failure?
All my engines have used the LN Engineering low temp thermostat since we developed it, back in 2008. We avoid cylinder and rod failure by not using OEM components for these tasks. All of my engines get LN Nickies cylinders, and at minimum they receive ARP rod bolts.

So far I've read about conn rods/bolts, cylinder lining, pistons, solution for the ims bearing. Outside of that you have the structural problem on inadequate bank2 cooling design. Do the upgraded parts simply stand up to the abuse, is it the blend of better cooling in aggregate (3rd rad. + LTT) coupled with the better internals that allows your engines to hold up?
Yes, coupled to non- automated assembly. Here the same person will pull the engine from a car, tear that engine down, then complete 100% of the work associated with assembling that engine, to include dynamic balancing of the components. He'll even reinstall it, and start it up for the first time. This removes the variables that other builders, and the factory leave on the table.

About the book:
Disagree about what's needed in terms of an M96 book. The hours of dedicated work on this engine should be filled with op-ed from experience. Otherwise, why bother, why publish?
What people need is an assembly guide, put together in a step by step format, in chronological order. What **I** do not need is something published that will be nothing but a pain in the *** to deal with. I also don't need off- hand comments from smart asses because the things that I state defy conventional wisdom, or what is shared on forums. All that will do is **** me off, and I'll retire.

Like has been said, I would pay premium for a less censored, and more secret filled tome. That is, if you really aren't motivated by money, why not let it all hang out?
Those are the things that will cause me trouble. If this was 25 years ago, and every smart *** in the room couldn'tt post some random interjection on a forum, things would be different.

The value of a 'how-to' is directly related to the authors intellectual property. You have vast IP in this area(blatant suck-up, sorry). Not writing the real ins and outs is doing a disservice to the marque.
"How to" will be covered in great detail. What won't be included are chapters on "why" or pages and pages of my opinions. Its an engine build guide that will be filled with tons of assembly tricks. It won't tell you how we build our engines, but it will tell you how you should assemble yours. It certainly won't make me more of a "fear monger" than I already am in the eyes of people on these forums who generally, can't handle the truth.

The reason I haven't finished it has been because I kind of dread the fallout from releasing it. I don't care for notoriety, or being in a spotlight. I build engines, and why we are so successful at this is because we don't hype it up, don't market what we do, and we don't live in a fantasy world of fake image, and race cars like the majority of the Porsche industry. At the end of the day I am a guy with dirty hands, and busted knuckles, not an author.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Is your username on BF.C 200K....something?

Any tips on how to reduce time to get out the 3rd AC compressor bolt?
My UN on BF is StantonGTI, although I do most of my selling through eBay (YellowshirtAuctions) and CL.

For the third bolt on the compressor, it became very easy once I read the tip that I should remove the throttle body, and the first plenum for the intake. Once you do that, you can put you left had back that way to find the bolt, and lower the socket/swivel/extensions down with your right hand. All the pictures I saw, never showed where the bolt actually is, so I took one (below). You can get to either from going through the intake, or above the compressor (as seen in the picture).

I used a standard height 13mm socket, 3/8 swivel, extension and ratchet.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2017, 10:49 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
lots of track parts including GT3 Euro seats
I would be interested
Old 01-03-2017, 12:05 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

"How to" will be covered in great detail. What won't be included are chapters on "why" or pages and pages of my opinions. Its an engine build guide that will be filled with tons of assembly tricks. It won't tell you how we build our engines, but it will tell you how you should assemble yours. It certainly won't make me more of a "fear monger" than I already am in the eyes of people on these forums who generally, can't handle the truth.
I guess I can grok that. If the contents are how to, with great detail which show where we can avoid mistakes, that's the key. Not adding a lot of op-ed about 'why' makes sense. You do seem a bit touchy about how others view your contributions.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Moderators AWOL

See below how much the unmoderated ,gratuitous nasty comments cost the Rennlist community ?
Imagine if instead the nasty comments were deleted by the Moderator. We would have accumulated much more knowledge.Instead we get a very understandable response to give only a portion of what would otherwise be generously offered.
If the Moderators decline to intervene, it is left to the rest of us to drown out the spiteful commentary.
Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
All my engines have used the LN Engineering low temp thermostat since we developed it, back in 2008. We avoid cylinder and rod failure by not using OEM components for these tasks. All of my engines get LN Nickies cylinders, and at minimum they receive ARP rod bolts.

Yes, coupled to non- automated assembly. Here the same person will pull the engine from a car, tear that engine down, then complete 100% of the work associated with assembling that engine, to include dynamic balancing of the components. He'll even reinstall it, and start it up for the first time. This removes the variables that other builders, and the factory leave on the table.

What people need is an assembly guide, put together in a step by step format, in chronological order. What **I** do not need is something published that will be nothing but a pain in the *** to deal with. I also don't need off- hand comments from smart asses because the things that I state defy conventional wisdom, or what is shared on forums. All that will do is **** me off, and I'll retire.

Those are the things that will cause me trouble. If this was 25 years ago, and every smart *** in the room couldn'tt post some random interjection on a forum, things would be different.

The reason I haven't finished it has been because I kind of dread the fallout from releasing it. I don't care for notoriety, or being in a spotlight. I build engines, and why we are so successful at this is because we don't hype it up, don't market what we do, and we don't live in a fantasy world of fake image, and race cars like the majority of the Porsche industry. At the end of the day I am a guy with dirty hands, and busted knuckles, not an author.
Thanks for publishing anyway Jake.There must be a silent (& spineless?) majority who appreciate your insights & Ferret photos.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:04 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
See below how much the unmoderated ,gratuitous nasty comments cost the Rennlist community ?
Imagine if instead the nasty comments were deleted by the Moderator. We would have accumulated much more knowledge.Instead we get a very understandable response to give only a portion of what would otherwise be generously offered.
If the Moderators decline to intervene, it is left to the rest of us to drown out the spiteful commentary.
Huh? The only thing I see is the reply from Jake vis-a-vis his position on those who disagree with methods or philosophy. I think, if yur gonna play on the internet, and yur gonna make statements, someone, somewhere is going to disagree. But - moderating opinions, is a risky biz. I've published before, and been castigated for my theories. So has Heisenberg, so has Feynman(not that I'm anywhere in that league).

OTOH, when you sign your name to a published book/paper, you stick it out there, and let people roll over it, stick a fork in it, and otherwise attack, ridicule, and belittle. It's the nature of the game, and I still say that someone who professes to 'not care' seems to want to take his ball and go home at the first sign of disagreement. Even nonsensical disagreement where a stout 'go ahead, do whatever you want' would be more warranted. i.e. if someone decides to put the second compression ring on upside down because they consider the pressure on the ring will be better with the groove in that position, so be it. Jake doesn't have to defend putting the ring on the right way.

The internetz and this forum are an equal oppty place. Equal only in access, not equal in results. It's up to us to decide based on content. Having a mod do this for us is not something I would agree with. Mostly because sooner rather than later - asshattery will out. BTW, that's what the 'ignore' function does, should one want to limit their viewing of my op-ed blather.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

This week's update.

I spent time separating the trans and tearing down the old motor, of course labeling everything.

Top Tip - got to the Dollar Store for the "Ziploc" bags. They have lots of sizes, up to 2 Gallon, so you can keep complete components with all mounting hardware all in one bag. Also keeps power steering fluid from getting everywhere. That pump just keeps leaking fluid.

Got everything off except for the heads. That will be one night this week, or this weekend. No issues pulling anything, and only broke one header bolt.

I'm this deep, and still have not seen any carnage (other than the connecting rod pieces that were in my oil pan). Looking at the valves (from what I see) none of the look bent (although I am sure they need to be)

What amazes me is how light the block is. I don't have an engine stand at my garage, so it is up on a moving cart with a wood base. The engine actually moves around with very little force. It seems like two people could easily pick it up. Maybe I'll see if my wife wants to give me a hand.

I plan on holding onto most of these parts since I know they were working (and some of them were new), until the new motor is in and running with no issues. Once that is confirmed, I'll start selling them, but if you need anything, let me know.

Onto the pics.

Apparently someone left me some snacks in the bell housing. Amazing how rodents can get places.
Attached Images   
Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 AM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That motor is actually kind of a tank. Good luck on your rebuild

Last edited by m3driver; 01-11-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:23 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry about the nuts! The car spent its whole life outside until I bought it. FL squirrels are aholes.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:10 PM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

In this week's update, I got the heads off. Amazingly, they both look fine. Valves looks good, cams look good, the timing was actually still correct.

The cylinder walls also look good. You would not know there was an issue, until you turn it over by hand. The outer pistons move with no issue, while the two middle pistons just sit there. So now I have a 4 cylinder.

I'll crack the case this week, just for fun, and then it is on to pulling the motor from the donor car.
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The digging out from my money shift begins.