bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 12:31 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default bike rack

I have a 99 C2 cab that I just bought, and I'm wondering about the options for getting a bike rack on there. I have a Thule rack that I used on my 993 coupe, but it attached to the rain rails.

I haven't been able to learn much about Porsche's cabriolet rack, but it looks fairly wonky and like a PITA to install. Are there other options out there that people have used successfully?

Alternatively ... is there a roof rack that would attach to the hardtop on the car? Does the hardtop have the same attachment points that the factory coupe rack uses?

Vic
99 C2
Old 11-04-2003, 12:58 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no rack that attaches to the hardtop...looks like there are those integrated rails, but they are not rails...just a design effect...

there is only the cab roof rack...not too much of a PITA...once you've attached the mounting hardware you can pretty much leave them (the hardware) on all the time. You can creat your own adapters for the yaki or thule bike trays with a little creativity and sqaure head carriage bolts from your local hardware store. The cab rack is pretty cleverly designed, and can be used with the top up or down...(but you can't move the top once the rack is on) After the mounts are attached...the whole rack is attached with 4 screws that take less than 5 min to remove (just need another person to hold the other side)

Old 11-04-2003, 01:30 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmm ... are the attachment points kind of ugly when the rack's not up? It looks good on the silver (meridien?), maybe I can paint mine black :-)

Do you know if it's the same rack for both Boxster and 996, or are they different?

Thanks,
Vic
Old 11-04-2003, 03:11 PM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The boxster rack IS different than the 996 rack...
My car is meridian, and it is a very close match, but that is the only color it comes in. You could paint it black I guess, but the cross bars are bare aluminum....
the attachment pts in the front are a black plate with one hole in it, about 1" x 2" I've seen peope who have painted it body color, and it pretty much blends right in...the rear attachement is also black (again can be painted) but they remove pretty easily with one screw...

Quick Reply: bike rack