Sponsored by:

Immobilizer Fault Code 39, P1571

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 05:35 PM
eshultz
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Immobilizer Fault Code 39, P1571

I've resolved my problem with this fault code but I'm just posting this in case someone else runs into the same fault code given how long it took me to figure this one out and how little information there is out there on this code. I have a 2000 996 Cabriolet that got water under the driver's seat due to a blocked drain (I really wish I had read about this problem here before it happened to me!). The drain at the bottom of the tray behind the driver's side rear seat speaker was completely blocked with bits of plastic and leaves. It had overflowed and flooded under the driver's seat. This killed the immobilizer which I had to send out to get replaced. However, after replacing the immobilizer I kept getting Immobilizer Fault Code 39 (P1571) from my Durametric. The symptoms were that when you tried to start the car, the dash would light up properly but the starter would not crank.

The reason that the car was outside in the rain was that I also had my ignition switch fail. Between the time that the switch failed and when I was able to replace it, there was a big rain that flooded the car. Unfortunately, this complicated the problem since my replacement of the ignition switch resulted in my moving, and potentially causing a wiring problem with, the ignition switch and immobilizer signal converter which sits on top of the ignition cylinder which is part of the immobilizer system!

This code seems to indicate that the "OK to start" signal is not getting from the immobilizer to the ECU. I spend days checking out everything from the key fob, ignition cylinder (which senses the key fob), immobilizer signal converter, immobilizer, ECU and all wiring in between with no luck. I finally decided to carefully clean each contact of the wiring harness that connects to the immobilizer under the driver's seat with a small pick and that was the problem! The contacts looked clean but they were not. As soon as I cleaned the contacts with the pick, the car started right up!

Hope this helps someone who gets the same code.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:11 PM
Edgar Hernandez
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have the same exact problem!!!

Originally Posted by eshultz
I've resolved my problem with this fault code but I'm just posting this in case someone else runs into the same fault code given how long it took me to figure this one out and how little information there is out there on this code. I have a 2000 996 Cabriolet that got water under the driver's seat due to a blocked drain (I really wish I had read about this problem here before it happened to me!). The drain at the bottom of the tray behind the driver's side rear seat speaker was completely blocked with bits of plastic and leaves. It had overflowed and flooded under the driver's seat. This killed the immobilizer which I had to send out to get replaced. However, after replacing the immobilizer I kept getting Immobilizer Fault Code 39 (P1571) from my Durametric. The symptoms were that when you tried to start the car, the dash would light up properly but the starter would not crank.

The reason that the car was outside in the rain was that I also had my ignition switch fail. Between the time that the switch failed and when I was able to replace it, there was a big rain that flooded the car. Unfortunately, this complicated the problem since my replacement of the ignition switch resulted in my moving, and potentially causing a wiring problem with, the ignition switch and immobilizer signal converter which sits on top of the ignition cylinder which is part of the immobilizer system!

This code seems to indicate that the "OK to start" signal is not getting from the immobilizer to the ECU. I spend days checking out everything from the key fob, ignition cylinder (which senses the key fob), immobilizer signal converter, immobilizer, ECU and all wiring in between with no luck. I finally decided to carefully clean each contact of the wiring harness that connects to the immobilizer under the driver's seat with a small pick and that was the problem! The contacts looked clean but they were not. As soon as I cleaned the contacts with the pick, the car started right up!

Bro I have the exact same problem this is going to help me out so much but I'm not sure where the immobilizer is lol
Old 02-16-2017, 11:13 PM
eshultz
Track Day

Originally Posted by Edgar Hernandez
Bro I have the exact same problem this is going to help me out so much but I'm not sure where the immobilizer is lol
The immobilizer is under the driver's seat. You will need an exterior torx bit size E12 to remove it. There are four bolts holding the front and rear of the seat tracks to the floor. Remove the bolts and tilt the seat over being careful not to strain the power seat cables. There is a single plastic bolt holding the immobilizer to the floor. It sits in the lowest point of the floor where all the water collects if you have a leak - great place for a critical, expensive electronic module! You can try to dry it out yourself but I wasn't so lucky. I ended up sending mine out to Sean at ECU Doctors for repair. It was $675.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:51 AM
Edgar Hernandez
2nd Gear

The immobilizer is under the driver's seat. You will need an exterior torx bit size E12 to remove it. There are four bolts holding the front and rear of the seat tracks to the floor. Remove the bolts and tilt the seat over being careful not to strain the power seat cables. There is a single plastic bolt holding the immobilizer to the floor. It sits in the lowest point of the floor where all the water collects if you have a leak - great place for a critical, expensive electronic module! You can try to dry it out yourself but I wasn't so lucky. I ended up sending mine out to Sean at ECU Doctors for repair. It was $675.
wow.. Porsche makers are real smart to put an important and expensive part where they put it... and I have a question though. My drain plugs weren't clogged by leaves so it's dry right under that box But the same p1571 code popped up on my code reader. But at the same time it's been like a month since I've had that problem and I barely figured it out today. There's a lot of water behind the seat but no water at all under my seat where the immobilizer and all the other stuff is. So since it must be dry in there; in my case now, Should I just go ahead and spend the 675 at ecu doctors or maybe or a whole new different immobilizer, ignition switch, ecu and key for what I see on eBay is going for only around $450-500 bucks? Please note.. Forgot to mention my key fob was working but since I thought it was the key in the beginning I opened it up and put it back together and stopped blinking the red light and all buttons stopped working...not sure why but I may have broke it somehow if I did it's very fragile or cheaply made. So in my case I may have to fork over an extra 3-5 hundred bucks if I just fix the immobilizer right? And thanks so much for your response!
Old 02-19-2017, 09:50 PM
eshultz
Track Day

I would check the wiring first to make sure it's just not something loose before spending any money. It's up to you if you want to go the ebay route but I would make sure you buy from someone who takes returns in case it doesn't work out.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:20 PM
Jaketopsy
Cruisin'

I've resolved my problem with this fault code but I'm just posting this in case someone else runs into the same fault code given how long it took me to figure this one out and how little information there is out there on this code. I have a 2000 996 Cabriolet that got water under the driver's seat due to a blocked drain (I really wish I had read about this problem here before it happened to me!). The drain at the bottom of the tray behind the driver's sie rear seat speaker was completely blocked with bits of plastic and leaves. It had overflowed and flooded under the driver's seat. This killed the immobilizer which I had to send out to get replaced. However, after replacing the immobilizer I kept getting Immobilizer Fault Code 39 (P1571) from my Durametric. The symptoms were that when you tried to start the car, the dash would light up properly but the starter would not crank.

I have an 01 996 cab throwing the same p1571-Immobilizer code. Car starts/ runs perfect but passenger door won't lock and dome/courtesy lights fail to function. Not sure what to do next...
Old 05-22-2017, 12:11 PM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of good ideas here on this thread.

"Clean, dry and tight" connections is one of those "electronic basics" that are a perfect example in this case of what can go wrong when the connections are otherwise.

We made a video on how to remove the Immobilizer CLU from your Porsche (Instructions starts 20 seconds into the video.)

Now when it comes to buying a "used ecu set" from ebay or anywhere else that is always an option that we consider a very last resort because of complications that we discuss here:

I hope that these 2 videos give you helpful info on this topic.
The following users liked this post:
CharlesLS (08-15-2023)
Old 05-26-2017, 11:32 AM
BrooklynBrian
Track Day

Thanks for posting this.

We we just had a similar problem: drain hole got plugged and water collected under the drivers seat ruining the immobilizer unit.

Its been replaced but now we need to get the key fobs reprogrammed and we can't locate the immobilizer code.

Ugh.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:30 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

ECU Doctor. Thanks for posting the interesting videos. I have 997.1 Immobilizer, Key and ignition switch but sold my ECU. Is there value with the remaining parts for someone or should I just toss them?
Old 05-26-2017, 03:55 PM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by BrooklynBrian
Thanks for posting this.

... and we can't locate the immobilizer code.

Ugh.
What you are looking for is called the IPASS code (it actually goes by other names depending on who you talk to).

Check with the dealer or we can extract it for you through the ECU.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:56 PM
ECU Doctors
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by lowpue
ECU Doctor. Thanks for posting the interesting videos. I have 997.1 Immobilizer, Key and ignition switch but sold my ECU. Is there value with the remaining parts for someone or should I just toss them?
I currently do not work on those units but if you want to give them to us I can pay you for the shipping.

I'm sure we can salvage parts from those units to make something!

PM me if you want.
Old 02-10-2024, 03:57 PM
Skeller
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Edgar Hernandez
Im having that same problem right now
I will let you know the outcome as soon as I find it

Quick Reply: Immobilizer Fault Code 39, P1571