Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 01:35 PM
sammaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Low oil pressure warning

So done a bit of work on the 2002 c4 cab with 67k miles. Imsb ln pro, rms, a gear box leak, gear box mount. Then most of the suspension( nearly the value of the car I know maybe not smart but I want to keep this one ). Ask about aos but they said they tested it and it was fine. Did major service and ask d them to check any thing else that needed to be done. Every thing on the car has been running great. Done about 80 miles. Today when warm the warning low oil pressure flashed up and the little oil light came on. Did my temp and pressure checks all in the normal range. 1.5 bar pressure. Temp just over 80c. Stopped checked oil. Normal level. Took the risk and drove it the 5 miles to the indo and they plugged the piwis in but no faults or errors on the dme. But they could see the instrument error on the piwis. Suggest it is the switch. And will try change it out on Monday.

Question is, could this potentially be the aos? As when I put some power on the oil light goes away and when backing off the throttle it beeps and the warning and light pop back on. Or is it more likely to be the switch as suggested.

concern is on Monday it has a date with a boat for shipping and it will put a spanner in the works of not a simple fix.

thanks in advance to any suggestions
Old 12-17-2016, 02:17 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Could be as simple as the oil pressure sending unit. Known to go bad and give erroneous readings.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:53 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

^ +1 very simple and inexpensive fix.

However, if I was you, I'll buy AOS and coolant tank, and get VAT back. As you'll most likely need to replace those too. Sourcing those in NZ will be a rather expensive exercise.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:55 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind - the pressure sensor gauge and the warning light are on 2 different circuits.

Odd that you're showing good on the pressure - but the warning light is coming on....
Old 12-18-2016, 06:04 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I vote oil pressure sender. I bet the gauge dropped to 0 when the light came on and it bounced right back up to "normal" when you looked.

I've seen two 996's have the exact same symptom when the oil pressure sender failed.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:54 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by spruden
I vote oil pressure sender. I bet the gauge dropped to 0 when the light came on and it bounced right back up to "normal" when you looked.

I've seen two 996's have the exact same symptom when the oil pressure sender failed.
That's exactly what mine did! The message on the dash said "oil pressure sensor failure." I still soiled my drawers! Changed the sensor been good for last two years!
Old 12-18-2016, 09:05 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

If you really had zero pressure I'd imagine you'd hear a lot of not very nice noises coming from the engine compartment. Would think it has to be a bad sending unit.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:18 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
Keep in mind - the pressure sensor gauge and the warning light are on 2 different circuits.

Odd that you're showing good on the pressure - but the warning light is coming on....
This is true, but keep in mind those two circuits are on the same sensor.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:19 AM
sammaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was hoping for the sender unit as this has been replaced a couple of years back. However this time it was different as the needle wasn't bouncing at all. The Indy phoned me before saying they have fixed it. It was the sender unit. I started to head out to pick it up when I got another call that the light had come back on. So they need more time to investigate. Getting to the 11th hour now. Will report back what they find. Fingers crossed
Old 12-19-2016, 11:20 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

When my oil pressure sensor failed, I got the warning about sensor failure, but no other warning lights.

Still, this is a known area of weakness. If the dipstick confirms that the oil level is good, change the sensor ($80.00 and 1/2 an hour with the proper tool: a crow's foot wrench).

If it was something else (like the oil pump)...you would probably know already.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:23 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Low oil pressure can also be caused a weak or broken oil bypass spring. I cant remember the actual name for it, but if it fails it will result in low oil pressure.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:35 AM
porsche951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2002 did this a couple times a few years back and I did nothing about it. Yesterday it did it again 3 times on a 20 mile commute to work. Pressure would drop to zero, oil light would come on for a couple seconds then light would go out and pressure resume to where it should be. Commute home that evening no issues. Checked oil this morning and it is fine. So I'm assuming faulty sender?
Old 03-08-2017, 12:01 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Originally Posted by porsche951
My 2002 did this a couple times a few years back and I did nothing about it. Yesterday it did it again 3 times on a 20 mile commute to work. Pressure would drop to zero, oil light would come on for a couple seconds then light would go out and pressure resume to where it should be. Commute home that evening no issues. Checked oil this morning and it is fine. So I'm assuming faulty sender?
sounds like it. the one sensor is really two sending units in one. One goes to the gauge, and the other goes to the oil light and computer. its a pretty easy repair if you use a crows foot wrench and go in from the bottom.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:11 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Read this as well - https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...p-upgrade.html
Old 03-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

It's amazing how no one thinks this is actually a low pressure problem. Pull the sump pan and have a look at the oil pick up screen. Then hook up a machanical pressure gauge to the engine and see if there is a problem. If all checkes out only then assume it's either a sensor or wiring problem. Also, the shop should have replaced the air oil seperator. If it's old or unknown age, replace it when the transmission is off. It is a consumable item.

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure warning