996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 interior re-trim project

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 08:24 AM
snader
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Its really nice to see so much positive feedback for my work, thank you.
Alcantara I'm using is genuine Alcantara from Italy. I know there are a lot of cheap alternatives as well.
Removal of the dash is not very difficult at all, 2 hour job with proper tools and a DIY guide.
I've decided to properly paint the exterior since I'm not a big fan of wrapping.
Engine is out for painting the engine bay, also the gearbox had a problem with the pinion bearing so it was a smart idea to drop the both of them together.
Clients from Rennlist? No problem, just the small logistical problem of me being on the other side of the Atlantic ocean, Europe, Estonia to be more precise. But shipping can be arranged and there are reasonably priced shipping methods.

Sander
Old 12-12-2016, 01:26 PM
spud72
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that looks fabulous and can't wait to see the finished project
Old 12-13-2016, 04:46 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Estonia is a little far but with the difference in labor rate, it may actually be worth sending the parts of there...I know it sounds crazy but that's how globalization works these days !

Also there are a handful of DIY guys here on Rennlist, including myself and while we don't know how to do it all, we may be interested buying some 'kits' to do it ourselves.

For example if you can stich and cut the alcanthara and put a bottle of blue and accessories needed to do the job, I would not be surprised to see people interested.

I just saw last week a post about someone wanting to re-uphoster his seats but did not find a place to do it. so seat upholstery kit may also be something people would look for. Not sure how hard it is to do but.. just an idea

Looking forward to the end result.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:36 AM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That work looks really nice
Old 12-13-2016, 11:07 AM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by philooo
Estonia is a little far but with the difference in labor rate, it may actually be worth sending the parts of there...I know it sounds crazy but that's how globalization works these days !

Also there are a handful of DIY guys here on Rennlist, including myself and while we don't know how to do it all, we may be interested buying some 'kits' to do it ourselves.

For example if you can stich and cut the alcanthara and put a bottle of blue and accessories needed to do the job, I would not be surprised to see people interested.

I just saw last week a post about someone wanting to re-uphoster his seats but did not find a place to do it. so seat upholstery kit may also be something people would look for. Not sure how hard it is to do but.. just an idea

Looking forward to the end result.
agree with you, I am planning to tackle this soon as well, if someone had this pre done I would have taken that in a heartbeat, it wouldnt cost that much to ship the pre cut stuff for sure

what glue should we use on the dash / door panels that will last / not lift off? I dont want to use spray, I have seen guys on youtube use a bottle with a brush and i would much prefer that for larger pieces to avoid getting glue all over my fingers and the alcantara lol
Old 12-13-2016, 12:35 PM
snader
Advanced

Okay, shipping is not really that expensive after all, starting from 20USD for small packages that could fit pre cut covers for many of the interior parts. I´ll trace down some patterns just in case...
What would you guys be interested in, shift boots, pre-cut pieces for center consoles, kits for front seats?

Sander
Old 12-13-2016, 04:28 PM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I just ordered the shifter, brake & armrest from another vendor. I think you could sell all of those + the dash / steering wheel / console etc. I already ordered the alcantara for my steering wheel but I am really thinking of doing the dash as well.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:31 PM
kderry
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snader
Okay, shipping is not really that expensive after all, starting from 20USD for small packages that could fit pre cut covers for many of the interior parts. I´ll trace down some patterns just in case...
What would you guys be interested in, shift boots, pre-cut pieces for center consoles, kits for front seats?

Sander
Steering wheel and airbag (I think this is one of the biggest requests), gauge pod and possibly entire dashboard.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:10 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

WOW!! Amazing!

I would love to see what you could do to my E36 door panels!
Old 12-13-2016, 08:53 PM
2002C2
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Small world I am also Estonian (living in the US). Väga huvitav ja hästi tehtud.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:15 PM
Scott Kinnebrew
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Such beautiful work. Very nice. I could see me wanting some pre-cut pieces in the near future.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:23 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the smaller pieces will certainly have the greatest success here, for example a shift boot in alcanthara, is certainly almost everyone here would give a try at. should be cheap, and a fun little project.

After that I think everybody need to wrap their steering wheel and airbags but here I have no idea how hard it is to do.. but definitely number two on everybody list.

Then the gauge pod would also be an easy one as it comes off pretty easily and stitching is really important there.

Seats would be a nice one but again no idea how hard it is, I assume with proper youtube instruction and the leather already stiched to size it should be doable for most of us.

I can see a healthy busine$$ there, again all the thanks to your location and offering lower prices than US locals.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:02 PM
snader
Advanced

Pre cut pieces can be challenging to glue on right, especially large pieces like the dashboard, but the gauge pod could prove a nice DIY project. Steering wheels and airbags require professional attention when it comes to covering them and they are not that big to ship too.
Prelude Guy- Here is my previos project, E36 might prove interesting to check out.
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=499987
2002C2- Tõesti väike maailm.

Few pictures of the center console I've finished:

Sander
Old 12-14-2016, 03:26 PM
ion_berkley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

(OP, love the work on your interior. This post is not about your project but rather the wisdom of any after market work on airbags given folks are asking for kits to cover there's here.)

So this topic has bothered me for a while. I see lots of folks having cool steering wheels done in the aftermarket, and its been bothering me, knowing a little about how the airbags deploy from behind the factory interior finish. Do people not care about having a functional airbag, or indeed turning it into something deadly? The factory finish is engineered to yield and part in a predictable and as safe (as possible) way with the force of the air bag deployment. Covering that finish with (strong Alcantara or leather seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Here's a pic post deployment just to give folks and idea how this works: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...ag-deployment/

Thoughts?
Old 12-14-2016, 03:47 PM
snader
Advanced

True, airbags should not be covered with a single piece of leather or any kind of material. Seam along the area where the airbag has to tear is needed, that way the leather is purely decorative and does not obstruct the deployment of the airbag. Thread breaks easily. Porsche rivets the crest onto the airbag, there is a way to push the ends of the leather under the crest so you don´t have to remove the crest at all. Or remove the crest and rivet a new crest in place.

Quick Reply: 996 interior re-trim project