996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ticking sound from rear when rolling -- diagnosed as broken muffler baffle

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 10:40 AM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Ticking sound from rear when rolling -- diagnosed as broken muffler baffle

I've been hearing a light ticking sound coming from the rear passenger side when slowly rolling in parking garages or next to walls. The ticking immediately stopped when the car stopped rolling. Ticking was present while rolling in neutral and in drive. Engine ran quietly at idle.

My indy checked the issue on a lift with a stethoscope and diagnosed it as a failed baffle in my passenger side PSE muffler. They said the ticking was a resonance from the failed baffle. I'll probably get the muffler fixed/replaced at some point if it gets really bad, but just wanted to post this for others who may have this issue.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:17 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Are you sure there is not a nail in your tire? If the ticking noise only happens when the car is rolling, it probably has a nail/rock or something in your tire tread.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:28 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If only "Ticking noise" was so easily resolved !
After all the doom-talk usually involved in a Ticking Post , it is amusing to be reminded that there are innocuous reasons for ticking on an M96 engined Porsche. No acronyms required - good !
Old 11-03-2016, 03:15 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Ticking noise when rolling. In this case I could actually feel it.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:49 PM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
If only "Ticking noise" was so easily resolved !
After all the doom-talk usually involved in a Ticking Post , it is amusing to be reminded that there are innocuous reasons for ticking on an M96 engined Porsche. No acronyms required - good !
Exactly! This is why I posted -- having fears of bore scoring or broken lifters, and it turns out to be "just" the muffler. Which is in fact ~$1,500+ to replace (I understand you can't buy a single PSE muffler), or a few hundred to find someone to cut open and re-weld the baffles.

It is not a rock or nail; the ticking is in time with the idle, and the cadence does not slow or speed up depending on speed.

Quick Reply: Ticking sound from rear when rolling -- diagnosed as broken muffler baffle