996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Received the Retrofit but wish I went with the Sulotion

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 12:44 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I'm pretty good at offending people. It gets easier everyday, as the modern human takes offense with almost everything.

That said, I wasn't directing my statement to you at all, since you did apply an LN product to the engine, and none of those are cheap.

What I was referring to should have been more clear, and thats my fault. "Cheap" was meant to be directed toward the IMSB kits sold on eBay, and other suppliers for a couple hundred bucks. These use off shore bearings (the "best" of them uses a Romanian bearing!) and thats what too many people are trying to convince shops to install.

Again, the IMS Solution can be reused over and over again, and can be swapped from engine to engine without issue. I have one kit thats been installed into over a dozen engines, in 4 different vehicles. We recently had one customer who wanted to upgrade his car from a Boxster to a first Gen 997 with the M96 diameter (early 2005) IMS bearing. He had his local shop remove the IMS Solution from the Boxster, and replace it with a Single Row Pro. He then kept the IMS Solution, and had it installed into the 997, once he took delivery of it. All they did was replace the outer seal, and the inner diameter O ring, for good measure.

Its considerations like this that make the IMS Solution more valuable than the price tag. You can't do these things with any other form of IMSR technology.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Ah, gotcha. Sorry for taking offense, we have a saying here at the office that it's better to talk on the phone because it's so easy to read between the lines of the written word. I am guilty of that here. Once again, I completely understand the value of the IMS Solution and wish I could have done that now, but not knowing the exact history of the car, I wanted to do something for peace of mind and this worked for me.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:30 PM
mjberning
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the car is between 12 to 16 yrs old the solution makes sense primarily to a collector

Partsgeek sells the Single Row Pro for $583 and IMS solution for $1444.

My local mechanic in Houston charges 12 to 15 hrs of labor to install the IMS Pro which he removes the engine. Labor for the solution is about 3 hrs more.

The difference in price between the IMS Pro and Solution pays for a clutch kit, RMS and waterpump and spark plugs.

I say take care of more problems for the same money vs just installing the IMS solution and drive your car without worries

Then in 5 years or 75K miles you can decide if you want to keep your 17 to 21 yr old car or upgrade to something more modern without IMS issues.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:44 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

One less option for me to think about as I have no Certified techs here in Hawaii...
Old 12-23-2016, 08:35 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
One less option for me to think about as I have no Certified techs here in Hawaii...
Convince one of the west coast guys to take a vacation and pay his air fare.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:24 PM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gobs
Okay here goes...
Recently had the Intermediate Shaft Retro-fit Service completed but now I wish I paid the extra dough to go with the IMS Solution Retrofits. But wondering if anyone else had the same feelings?
I located my local shop from http://imsretrofit.com/.
I apolize for my spelling error(s) LOL
Thank you for any input
I got my 2004 996 with 52k miles about 8 months ago. It had a clean PPI. After reading many threads I decided to go with the LNE ceramic bearing. My decision was based on both cost and the idea that I would keep it for a few years, enjoy driving it and upgrading to a 2010/2011 997 or maybe even a tt when their prices start to drop. After driving it over the last 8 months, I have enjoy the h-ll out of it and now wonder if I will ever trade up (if it is even a "trade up"). Even though my feelings about this car have changed, I have no remorse what so ever and if decide to keep will just maintain/replace at 6 years (since I probably will not have the 75k miles on it). I just enjoy driving it and am learning (as I read more threads) that the simplicity of this car over the electronic controls that the newer models have may keep me in it for years to come.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:32 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Convince one of the west coast guys to take a vacation and pay his air fare.
Thats a big risk... There's a 90% chance he'd not be invited to the program.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:50 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I would never jeopardize someones good standing (not my style)!
Old 12-24-2016, 12:57 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I would never jeopardize someones good standing (not my style)!
Thats why I posted my statement. One thing is for sure, anyone who comes to a class with only the intent of being selected, certainly will not be selected. I can see those guys a mile away. I am looking for the real guys, with busted knuckles. The ones that aren't filled with image, or have big ads, or a big reputation that's fake.

That alone omits 90% of most people/ shops.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:58 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I meant pay for a "certified" west coast guy to visit Hawaii.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:14 PM
porsche951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Howaboutthat
Hard to say. I remain puzzled by the recommended service interval on the LN Engineering retrofits, particularly if the new bearing is some type of two-race model. With good lubrication (frequent changes with top flight oil); no grease bleed-out risk (as with the original design); and an upgraded, durable ceramic construction, then assuming the extracted bearing was in great shape (suggesting a lack of a run-out issues on the shaft), why would these not last 200,000+ miles?
Probably will which is exactly why I opted for the retro fit over the solution
Old 01-03-2017, 09:52 PM
craigmakes321
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought an '03 with 50K miles. I negotiated the cost of the solution, expansion tank, and RMS off asking price. Simple enough. The whole world knows about this issue by now, there are plenty of 996's for sale, so leverage the seller.

I never understood the "I can replace the IMS 2-3 times for the cost of the Solution" bean counting. If you know you can fix it forever the first time, it is a service free part, it increases re-sale value, and gives that much more piece of mind, why not?

Quick Reply: Received the Retrofit but wish I went with the Sulotion