996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

1999 6 speed, 3.4 l, 996 have questions

Old 10-24-2016, 06:59 PM
Mike Sampogna
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 6 speed, 3.4 l, 996 have questions

I have 35000km on it just bought it. The motor is running rought, sounds like a knock, and misfire, im taking motor and tranny out. Does any hace an idea on what to order and where, have no history on the car.
​​​​​​​
Old 10-24-2016, 08:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Sampogna
I have 35000km on it just bought it. The motor is running rought, sounds like a knock, and misfire, im taking motor and tranny out. Does any hace an idea on what to order and where, have no history on the car.
​​​​​​​
Might want to hold off dropping the engine and tranny. The noise could be explained by something that doesn't require an engine out to address.

If you take the engine out you'll you have to identify what's wrong and this requires disassembly. Once you know what's wrong you know what to order.

'course, there is the "while you are there" stuff. With the engine apart then you should probably check the main/rod journals for wear and if ok possibly fit new bearings. (I've done this with other engines but I've never had a Porsche engine apart.)

Good luck finding the acceptable clearances though. Porsche doesn't publish these. But some DIY'ers have managed though I don't know what they used for bearing clearances.

Don't forget the buttons that control crankshaft end play.

At the top the camshaft bearings and camshaft bearing journals need to be checked for excessive clearance (wear). These do not have inserts so if the cam journals are worn that's probably a new cam unless the journals can be build up with say hard chrome and ground to the correct size. If the head/camshaft bearings are oversized I'm not sure what you can do to remedy that situation.

Chain guides might need attention as well as the of course very critical chain guide tensioners.

Cam lobes, lifter buckets -- excessive play in the bores -- and lifter faces all have to be checked for signs of wear.

Might as well consider what you want to do about the IMSB while you are there.

Oh, and there are the cylinder/piston clearances. If any of these are worn the engine may have to have its cylinders sleeved (or whatever the technique is for storing the proper diameter and finish -- I don't think an overbore and oversized pistons/rings are available) and fitted with new rings/pistons.

I have to note the engine is pretty low miles. I've come upon one 996 engine out and apart with low (~20K) miles and the Porsche tech didn't replace anything but the IMS/IMSB and some chain guides that got damaged when the IMSB failed. So there's that.

Still, if you take it apart, it will require new seals. New gaskets. Might as well add a new water pump and new T-Stat. Follow with new spark plugs and what the heck, new coils too.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:58 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

I love threads that start out with replacing stuff. Why bother with diagnosis? Just jack up the engine serial number and drive a new engine in there. Meh.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:27 PM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

A short video or sound clip of the exhaust during startup/idle/rev will get you the best answers.

I recommend you begin with draining the oil and looking in the pan and the folds of the oil filter to see if there are any visible metal or plastic bits. Look for glitter in the oil and consider sending in an oil analysis. High levels of various different metals in your oil can reveal where to look.

This could all help determine just how much "rebuild" your engine will need before you spend a ton of time/money pulling and opening it up.

Also, are you getting a check engine light? If so, consider driving by car parts store who will read codes for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 6 speed, 3.4 l, 996 have questions