Sponsored by:

new member 1999 porsche 3.4l need some info

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 12:22 PM
Mike Sampogna
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member 1999 porsche 3.4l need some info

Hi there, I just bought a 1999 3.4l porsche 996 with 35,000km, 6 speed, very nice car, my first sports car, got it cheap. Tranny was sent to get rebuilt, when the customer got it back, it misfired, ran rough, so I bought it as is. Brass in the oil , I also delieve the IMS was never done, im taking the motor and tranny out, does anyone know who and where you recomend to buy my parts for a complete rebuild , and the IMS bearing that everony taks about, thanks mike
Old 10-23-2016, 12:40 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Slow down. You can really screw things up if you approach this like any other engine. The M96 is very unique and peculiar. The fact that you have identified the metal as brass is pretty telling that you may be in over your head.

If you really want to use Rennlist to it's fullest, post your symptoms and let the engine internalists around here start walking you through the troubleshooting steps. It can save you $1,000's.

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay?
Old 10-23-2016, 12:41 PM
Device2
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome, lots of knowledge here on this forum. For starters here is a link for very useful Parts breakdown, part number listings and for assembly diagrams.

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p..._911_parts.php

With the needed part number you can basically shop around to various vendors because there is an infinite amount of them and choose one who has the best price. Thats what I do. As far the as the IMSB replacement there are vast amount of options and features so it all depends on how deep your pocket is willing to go and what you would want to do with your Motor.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:22 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

1. Wash the 'brass' in gasoline and dry the debris on a paper towel.Then send us the photo of it. Slakker is correct - it ain't brass ! And there are well over 20 Modes of Failure unrelated to the IMSB.Hopefully yours is a double row ,so less to be concerned about.
2. Before you tear into it, let's try to diagnose the misfire. What does the Durametric 'say' ?
3. Does the repaired gearbox shift & sound O.K. ? I ask because if that has problems also the car may be just a roller.
There is lots to learn about this engine.Flailing can be very expensive.Which is why we help each other.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:10 PM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,234 Likes on 754 Posts

These guys (if you listen to them) will help you diagnose what happened to your motor. THAT will determine IF it can be repaired....... if it cannot, you will spend stupid $ trying only to have paid a big tuition bill learning what these guys already know...........

You are lucky. These guys want to help and are the best there are on the subject matter.

That is the best advice I can give you.

Quick Reply: new member 1999 porsche 3.4l need some info