996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Here's my baby

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 05:18 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Hey welcome im assuming 318touring is referring to me! I'm in Melbourne.

My first preference was silver but had to settle with black, it has factory parking sensors as well

Anyway great looking car! Congrats

Old 10-18-2016, 10:07 PM
Dundee John
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pictures! Welcome to the club.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:10 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Great looking car.... congrats!!!! Put the Tip in "M" mode, and you will have a blast. Put it in "D" mode for mundane city driving, and your wife will be thrilled with it as a DD.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:16 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Really nice car!
Old 10-19-2016, 05:32 PM
billyboy
Racer

Very nice car and great pictures! I like the bumperette-less look. Is that stock on 996's down there?
Old 10-20-2016, 03:04 AM
jz993
Racer

Originally Posted by charlieaf92
Beautiful car and great photos - you captured some of my favorite lines perfectly.
+1. The headlights look crystal clear! Congrats.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:38 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Beautiful car! Im with you on the wrenching thing too. I have never really enjoyed working on family cars, so always sent them to local indie. I always had bikes and always did all my own work on them and enjoyed it. This is my first Porsche, and I committed to myself to do as much as I possible can and learn. Really enjoyable thus far, but haven't had any real serious stuff yet...and hopefully never will.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:24 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Hi OP! And welcome to Rennlist. You've taken some really nice photographs and of course, the car is very nice indeed. Do you have some images of the interior?

Yea, those backup sensors are rare but very useful. You must have the PCM2 infotainment system, am I right?
Old 10-20-2016, 02:41 PM
ourkind
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers guys I usually take landscape photographs (as a hobby), nightscapes with Milky Way to be precise and these are my first car photos so I'm glad you'all like'em ... soon I hope to take some of the Porsche with a starry background but that requires very dark skies, driving in country lanes and dodging Kangaroos and Wombats.

Originally Posted by billyboy
Very nice car and great pictures! I like the bumperette-less look. Is that stock on 996's down there?
Thanks Billyboy yes in Oz the bumperette-less is stock

Originally Posted by b3freak
Hi OP! And welcome to Rennlist. You've taken some really nice photographs and of course, the car is very nice indeed. Do you have some images of the interior?

Yea, those backup sensors are rare but very useful. You must have the PCM2 infotainment system, am I right?
Cheers b3freak as a matter of fact I don't have any to post right now but I will take some tonight and post them here. Inside is a darkish blue, personally I would've preferred black but you can't be too choosy when buying 2nd hand. You're right about the infotainment system except the previous owner installed a Kenwood DNR-8025BT which is fantastic and he also had the speakers replaced with better ones, fortunately for me he kept the stock PCM2 and speakers and I have them in a box in case I ever want to switch it for a concourse event (at least the head-unit). The roof lining is a dark grey alcantara. The previous owner is so nice he sent me a message a few days ago and said he'd found the old amplifier too and I could pop around a collect it anytime. I mean how thoughtful and nice is that.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:47 PM
ourkind
Instructor

A couple more I took yesterday ...

Old 10-20-2016, 02:59 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ourkind
Cheers b3freak as a matter of fact I don't have any to post right now but I will take some tonight and post them here. Inside is a darkish blue, personally I would've preferred black but you can't be too choosy when buying 2nd hand. You're right about the infotainment system except the previous owner installed a Kenwood DNR-8025BT which is fantastic and he also had the speakers replaced with better ones, fortunately for me he kept the stock PCM2 and speakers and I have them in a box in case I ever want to switch it for a concourse event (at least the head-unit). The roof lining is a dark grey alcantara. The previous owner is so nice he sent me a message a few days ago and said he'd found the old amplifier too and I could pop around a collect it anytime. I mean how thoughtful and nice is that.
Yea, usually the backup sensors are mated with the PCM systems. If you have the newer PCM2, then I'd prolly reinstall it, but unfortunately, the Becker sourced system have not been that reliable which may be one reason why the original owner replaced it with the Kenwood. But if it works, why not try it out. Hopefully, the original wiring harness is left unharmed. I warn you, the old PCM navigation system are outdated but the stereo end of it is great (when it works). hahaha
Old 10-20-2016, 03:16 PM
ourkind
Instructor

Yea, usually the backup sensors are mated with the PCM systems. If you have the newer PCM2, then I'd prolly reinstall it, but unfortunately, the Becker sourced system have not been that reliable which may be one reason why the original owner replaced it with the Kenwood. But if it works, why not try it out. Hopefully, the original wiring harness is left unharmed. I warn you, the old PCM navigation system are outdated but the stereo end of it is great (when it works). hahaha
I must say I do like all the buttons on the old headunit, but the way it's set up now is great for example there's an aux cable for my cellphone, bluetooth, there a little microphone for calls mounted near my sunvisor and the Kenwood connects to the web via my cellphones hotspot, wifey also gets to watch DVD's or youtube on long drives, personally I barely turn it on, I love hearing the engine rev, even at idle you feel the shake from the motor just asking to be thrashed! Only thing I don't like about it is I haven't worked out how to dim the damn thing, it's a bit too bright at night.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:27 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ourkind
Only thing I don't like about it is I haven't worked out how to dim the damn thing, it's a bit too bright at night.
Goto page 124 (see picture below) in your Kenwood manual and that will make the unit less bright at night.

Old 10-20-2016, 03:35 PM
ourkind
Instructor

Sweet cheers! I'm going to try this as soon as I leave the office.
Old 10-20-2016, 06:51 PM
ourkind
Instructor

Goto page 124 (see picture below) in your Kenwood manual and that will make the unit less bright at night.

That did the trick! Thanks B3freak!!

Quick Reply: Here's my baby