Sponsored by:

Wrapped in 3m Matte Riviera Blue

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 09:39 PM
FL_911
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrapped in 3m Matte Riviera Blue

Hey. First post. This forum has been a great resource to me over my first 4 years of Porsche ownership, much appreciated. I'd like to share my experience with wrapping my 99 silver c2.

I've been considering wrapping it for a few months and did a bunch of googling as you'd expect, but didn't find a ton of info on cost / experience, especially for Porsches, so here's mine. My reason for wrapping was purely just for fun. The body / paint are in great shape even after almost 17 years, but I was bored with silver and looking for something different. I choose 3m 1080p as it claims to have a high quality finish and that it is easily removed without any negative impact to the paint. 3m says it's good for 5-7 years, installer says the same. We'll see in a few years. It is stored during winter here in Western NY so that should help some with wear.

I got 3 quotes for the job ranging from $2500 - $3000. I went with Ewing Graphics in Farmington NY, $3100 all said w/ tax. At pick up they said they put 34 hours into it. As they started the job they expressed some concern about applying the material to the rear vent/spoiler given the potential from heat from the motor, but 3m claims 200+ degrees so I told them to go ahead.

I knew I wanted to wrap it in blue, and finally decided on Matte Riviera Blue as the idea of matte sounded cool, and riviera blue being a classic Porsche color (although admittedly typically reserved for gt3 or special stuff).

Bubbles

So first reaction was holy $)#$*@#$. Dramatic change! It's very very bright blue and not something I've ever seen before on a car. Honestly way more blue than I expected based on the color swatch from 3m. The quality of the material is very good. There's already some smudging though, a product of matte finish. It's been 3 days, I've yet to wash it.

During install they admitted a clip for the rear brake light broke, so the installer is planning to replace that once they receive the part. Also note the bubbling over the driver's door. I'll have them remove (hopefully) that when I return for the brake light fix. I'm also considering adding an off-set matte black stripe up the hood, roof, and rear, and maybe classic porsche lettering along the doors to break it up some. Although I'm warming up to it's blue-ness as is as the days pass. My wife is not protesting riding in it, so that's a relief, but it is a little more racer boy than I expected. It will be out on the track at WGI in a few weeks, we'll see how it holds up to the rubber and such that comes after 2 days there.

Hopefully this info is useful to others considering a wrap. The 3m Riviera Blue is a lot of blue!!! One friend is calling it "m&m" another "papa smurf". The kids are saying it's "lit" and "fire". Good fun all the way.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:48 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Cool. Looks different. Why matte finish?
T
Old 09-18-2016, 10:00 PM
FL_911
8th Gear

Matte just for the different look.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:16 PM
Spork
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it!

I think it would look better with black wheels though. Or maybe polished. The plain silver wheels look, well, a little plain compared to the wrap.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:44 PM
FL_911
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Spork
I like it!

I think it would look better with black wheels though. Or maybe polished. The plain silver wheels look, well, a little plain compared to the wrap.
Thanks. Agreed. Unsure if spray/dip of the wheels is reversible? Don't feel like buying new wheels at this point. And do want the ability to retain original.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:06 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I like it...really cool color. I think the black Porsche classic stripes will make it look even better. Black wheels would go nicely as well...Nice work, fun stuff.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:20 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

this style of STRIPES (but not the color)

Old 09-18-2016, 11:23 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Plastidip the wheels - it will peel off when you're done.

Would love to see a cobalt blue over a black interior car, non-matte.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:27 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Colour looks awesome, good work

Looks like the Sally car model I have on my desk!

What is the typical lifespan of a vinyl wrap? Until you get bored and peel it off?
Old 09-18-2016, 11:32 PM
jleblanc
Rennlist Member

Love the color. I had considered a wrap if I couldn't find a car in a color I loved. My problem with the matte finishes is that it really makes it obvious that it's not paint, and the shiny parts (like the tail lights) really stand out. But that's just personal preference.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:40 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I always get sticker shock on the wraps... I mean you can get a pretty good respray color change including jambs for $3100.

definetly needs some attitude on the stance and wheel color combo to fully pull this off.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:25 AM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Really appreciate you posting this. It definitely helps others considering doing a wrap. I think it looks cool. Have fun with the new look!
Old 09-19-2016, 10:03 AM
FL_911
8th Gear

Yes @kromdom that's what I'm thinking.

@dan_189 they say 5 years or so, longer if it doesn't take a beating under sun. obviously that's in reference to the color and material. it will be interesting to see how it handles day to day dings and chips. do they end up peeling back? etc.

@kcattorney i'll look into that, curious how difficult it is to get the dip off when done.

@jleblanc yeah realizing that now. definitely looks incomplete, the chrome tips too.

@rrtec admittedly I didn't quote a paint job, but have always heard $5k+. also the factory paint and finish is in excellent shape and when I'm tired of the wrap it will be nice to return to it (assuming it holds up under the wrap like they say)
Old 09-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Great alternative to paint and if the color ever gets old......have a peel party! Are you anywhere near the Harley school in Rochester?
Old 09-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts

That looks really nice! I love Riveria Blue.

Quick Reply: Wrapped in 3m Matte Riviera Blue