Sponsored by:

***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:44 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,669 Likes on 921 Posts

Just passing this on...

I knew I wasn't completely losing my mind on the CDR23.

This is sold on Becker's eBay store. A CDR-23 non-MOST model (i.e. BE6611) with Aux input.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-CDR2...-/252703467548

So to Mr. Bumper wise ***, you can have a Becker CDR23 with analog connectivity similar to the CDR-220 series. They'll even buy your MOST based CDR and credit it to the purchase of one of their non-Most models.

(and yes, I know this doesn't solve the problem with MOST based systems like the Bose, but this does give users more options to maintain a Stock look without the headaches of dealing with the MOST systems)
Old 01-24-2017, 12:47 PM
ilikebigbumpers
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
I haven't dealt with the beckers in quite a while and I'll admit I got my wires crossed (no pun intended). I was thinkin' about the CDR220 (which I also own) when I reached out to Steve.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:02 PM
mrzoop
deviated
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

a4gen2 - Steve, I like your idea. It seems like a very simple and cost effective option. It may just solve your problem of dumping the changer and keeping the HU original. Worth a try, at least. I just ordered my Most to RCA box yesterday. But I'll need to swap for a new HU since I do not have a changer. I figure I'd give it a chance before replacing the Most amp too. Hey, let's have a CS4 wiring party!
Old 01-24-2017, 02:32 PM
a4gen2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrzoop
a4gen2 - Steve, I like your idea. It seems like a very simple and cost effective option. It may just solve your problem of dumping the changer and keeping the HU original. Worth a try, at least. I just ordered my Most to RCA box yesterday. But I'll need to swap for a new HU since I do not have a changer. I figure I'd give it a chance before replacing the Most amp too. Hey, let's have a CS4 wiring party!
MRZOOP,

Yes, I'm hoping it will work, although bigbumpers last post has me wondering now. BTW, you may be able to use your existing HU (assuming it also CDR-23) and the same setup by getting someone to reprogram the HU into thinking you have a CD changer in the frunk. I have to assume all the wiring is there.

Looking forward to a wiring party. Let me when slow boat from China arrives!

Steve
Old 01-24-2017, 03:43 PM
a4gen2
Track Day

Just passing this on...

I knew I wasn't completely losing my mind on the CDR23.

This is sold on Becker's eBay store. A CDR-23 non-MOST model (i.e. BE6611) with Aux input.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-CDR2...-/252703467548
I have to say this is the first non-MOST CDR-23 I've seen, at least in a Porsche, and I've researched pretty extensively. Regardless, it looks like both versions (6611 and 6612) use the same mono aux input solution offered by Becker, which I'm not interested in. Makes you question why they would have to do that on the 6611 if the output was analog and not optical. The ad says the unit is remanufactured, so who knows, maybe they by-passed the entire optical output stage. It does have a different P/N though. Anyway ...

When I first posted to this thread I assumed it would be clear I had a MOST system, as that's what the thread appears to be targeted to with respect to the subject MOST-2-RCA converter.

I thought my initial question was fairly straightforward. This post indicated that you could use this box to drive a MOST-based amplifier with with a non-MOST HU. I was asking if it could be used in the opposite direction keeping the existing HU in place--similar to what the Dension units accomplish. That is, could it be used together with a BT A2DP adapter in place of the frunk CD changer to play music through the MOST amp by selecting the frunk CD changer on the CDR-23 HU.

It seems the answer to my question is ... maybe. Thanks to MRZOOP, I'll hopefully be able to give it a try and will report back either way.

Thanks to everyone who have responded to my question and please make peace with one another. I hate being responsible for starting anything. All have had good intentions to help and it is appreciated. It's obviously a confusing subject as evidenced by the hundreds of posts on the subject since this stoopid MOST system was introduced.

Steve
Old 01-24-2017, 06:18 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Sorry Steve. I sent you a PM and I thought that cleared up this discussion. Again, I was with Jamie from the beginning when he was exploring the use of the Chinese autoaux conversion box. He has contributed a lot to the subject. The AutoAux MOST analog conversion box has been brought in other threads... in fact, the CDR23 comes up a lot on RL in other non-related threads and sometimes it's easy to reply to the wrong thread. In this particular situation, I was thinking the MOST based CDR23 also had secondary analog inputs, but after much review, I realized that I was in error and happy to admit it unlike some people. I was thinking about my CDR-220. However, I do remember seeing a non-MOST version of the CDR-23. That was confirmed today and thought I'd share the eBay link to the thread since many people have issues (not always the same as yours) with the MOST based systems in the 996 cars but would still love to keep their CDR23 radios.

That being said, I assume you're going to try to use the Millennia Bluetooth Streaming unit to feed the AutoAux box that outputs MOST and then interconnect the fiber optics in place of the CDC4, correct?

Remember, MOST is a data bus; therefore, it's of my opinion, the CDR-23 will not recognize the signal as the "CD changer signal" for processing. The AutoAux box is designed to digitize the analog and send programming language that is recognized by the MOST based amps. In other words, the signal is programmed to tell the amp that the output of that box is the main output of the HU. The AutoAux box does not have the programming to tell the MOST based CDR23 that it's the CD changer signal. In my humble opinion it will not work as you intend.

If I'm wrong... then I'll give you my biggest salute! Good luck!!!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:39 PM
a4gen2
Track Day

The AutoAux box does not have the programming to tell the MOST based CDR23 that it's the CD changer signal.
You may be correct, which is why I questioned several posts back whether the Dension box had special programming to emulate a CD player that this box lacks. I was hoping that this box at half the price would work, but it's probably pretty "dumb" compared to the Dension, as all it has to do is convert left and right analog to left and right digital. No hand shaking or command (next track, ...) interpretation needed unlike the Dension application.

Still, it could work if the HU simply passes optical audio signals it receives from the autoaux box when the frunk CD player it replaces is selected to the amp. Commands from HU to autoaux box likely won't work though. At best, you'd have to control playback from the phone. At worst, it won't work. Time will tell.

Steve
Old 01-25-2017, 12:00 AM
boingolover
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by a4gen2

You may be correct, which is why I questioned several posts back whether the Dension box had special programming to emulate a CD player that this box lacks. I was hoping that this box at half the price would work, but it's probably pretty "dumb" compared to the Dension, as all it has to do is convert left and right analog to left and right digital. No hand shaking or command (next track, ...) interpretation needed unlike the Dension application.

Steve
I'm very interested in this as well. From what I've learned scouring the Dension threads is that if you have a Durametric Pro, you can code the CD changer yourself (I don't have a CD changer either). I'm planning to purchase a Durametric anyway, but saving a trip to the dealership might be incentive enough to warrant the extra cost of the pro. The more I keep researching aftermarket head units, the more I realize that the Becker just looks "right", but I really really need an aux in. And mono isn't an option for me. If this doesn't work out, I might consider one of the older McIntosh / Clarion models with the chinese box, but then I have to figure out a suitable DC-DC +-15V power supply (saw some stuff on digikey that might work). Or maybe I'll skip the Chinese box and do the Dension unit instead.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:19 AM
a4gen2
Track Day

Originally Posted by boingolover
The more I keep researching aftermarket head units, the more I realize that the Becker just looks "right", but I really really need an aux in.
Agreed. If I could find a Y switch for the optical bus, I would just buy this box and connect it directly to my phone wth a RCA-2-lighting connector and use the switch to send either the HU or the iPhone to the amp. Maybe I'll just hook up the iPhone with this box and let the radio sit there doing nothing. It's not like the radio is useful (horrible reception in my car anyway).

Atlas is a great color BTW!

Steve
Old 01-25-2017, 12:49 AM
boingolover
Instructor

Originally Posted by a4gen2

Atlas is a great color BTW!

Steve
Thanks! It's definitely one of my favorite colors on a p-car Although my neighbor had a 996 in Lapis Blue, and that may be my favorite color.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:22 AM
boingolover
Instructor

The AutoAux box does not have the programming to tell the MOST based CDR23 that it's the CD changer signal. In my humble opinion it will not work as you intend.

Here's hoping you're wrong then

On another note, I'm a big keyboard geek too. I have a Hammond B2 w/ Trek Perc, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, Leslie 31h tallboy, Wurlitzer 200, 200a, Rhodes mk1 stage 73, a Moog Rogue, and a bunch of boring digital stuff.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:31 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Yea, I could be wrong, but when you're talking about a data stream instead of analog signal, it's not that easy to just substitute a different unit on the fiber loop. Fiber optic does has a tremendous amount of bandwidth capable of running many streams on the same line, but that doesn't mean the CDR-23 will recognize the AutoAux as the CD Changer data. It's all about the programming. This is like importing a MP4 video into QuickTime player and hoping it will recognize it as an MP3 audio file. Two codecs with totally different programming.

Make sense?

p.s. I also have two Hammond B organs and have played them for years in the church. Nothing like the marriage between the Hammond Organ and the Leslie Speaker. I love Don Leslie just as much as Dr. Porsche. ha!
Old 01-25-2017, 10:15 AM
boingolover
Instructor

Yea, I could be wrong, but when you're talking about a data stream instead of analog signal, it's not that easy to just substitute a different unit on the fiber loop. Fiber optic does has a tremendous amount of bandwidth capable of running many streams on the same line, but that doesn't mean the CDR-23 will recognize the AutoAux as the CD Changer data. It's all about the programming. This is like importing a MP4 video into QuickTime player and hoping it will recognize it as an MP3 audio file. Two codecs with totally different programming.

Make sense?
One thing to keep in mind is that this isn't just s/pdif. There is also control information that goes across, like the HU telling the amp control information like how to fade / balance. Also, when the factory cd changer is installed, there is control information that not only goes from HU -> CD changer, there is information that goes from CD Changer -> HU, and it's possible that the digital audio stream goes from the CD Changer -> HU, then from HU back to the amp. It's also possible (and in my opinion more likely) that the HU tells the amp "now start taking your stream from this other device with ID 2". But it absolutely has to be a two-way bus. My point is, I think in order for anything to participate, even the cheap(er) chinese box, it would have to do some sort of handshaking, have some sort of knowledge of how to present itself to the MOST amp at the very least in order to even start sending that stream. I guess whether the autoaux works or not as a fake CD changer with the cdr23 depends on how picky the HU is, and how smart the stock system requires the CD changer is relative to the HU. It could be that whenever the autoaux is plugged into the bus, it does some sort of process to figure out a unique device ID on the bus (which could very well be what's happening when it's powered up the first time), and the HU when coded for an aux in might simply only care that there is third device on the bus and treats that as the cd changer regardless. Maybe we'll get lucky and that's exactly how it works.

Anyway, enough armchair engineering from me
Old 01-25-2017, 12:29 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry Steve. I sent you a PM and I thought that cleared up this discussion. Again, I was with Jamie from the beginning when he was exploring the use of the Chinese autoaux conversion box. He has contributed a lot to the subject. The AutoAux MOST analog conversion box has been brought in other threads... in fact, the CDR23 comes up a lot on RL in other non-related threads and sometimes it's easy to reply to the wrong thread. In this particular situation, I was thinking the MOST based CDR23 also had secondary analog inputs, but after much review, I realized that I was in error and happy to admit it unlike some people. I was thinking about my CDR-220. However, I do remember seeing a non-MOST version of the CDR-23. That was confirmed today and thought I'd share the eBay link to the thread since many people have issues (not always the same as yours) with the MOST based systems in the 996 cars but would still love to keep their CDR23 radios.

That being said, I assume you're going to try to use the Millennia Bluetooth Streaming unit to feed the AutoAux box that outputs MOST and then interconnect the fiber optics in place of the CDC4, correct?

Remember, MOST is a data bus; therefore, it's of my opinion, the CDR-23 will not recognize the signal as the "CD changer signal" for processing. The AutoAux box is designed to digitize the analog and send programming language that is recognized by the MOST based amps. In other words, the signal is programmed to tell the amp that the output of that box is the main output of the HU. The AutoAux box does not have the programming to tell the MOST based CDR23 that it's the CD changer signal. In my humble opinion it will not work as you intend.

I'll probably regret asking this, but who has problems with the MOST connection that are not based on dissatisfaction with the CDR23 head unit? Isn't the problem with the MOST the roadblock it creates in connecting a different head unit to the power amp?
Old 01-25-2017, 01:00 PM
a4gen2
Track Day

Originally Posted by thebowl
I'll probably regret asking this, but who has problems with the MOST connection that are not based on dissatisfaction with the CDR23 head unit? Isn't the problem with the MOST the roadblock it creates in connecting a different head unit to the power amp?
That's my understanding, but I'll let others that have lived with their MOST systems much longer than me weigh in on that. This box fixes that though, if you don't mind having only left/right controls over the audio channel (no fader).

The complexity of it certainly likely makes it more difficult to design devices that are fully-compatible with the bus. For example, I've read these devices--http://www.mobridge.us/products--produce audible periodic clicking or beeping when connected to the bus.

The problem I see with MOST is the same with any other bus/network protocol that doesn't become a defacto standard. It's a pain to find devices compatible with it, and if you do, you have to pay through the nose for them. Token ring, anyone?

Steve

Quick Reply: ***Install aftermarket head unit in MOST car WITHOUT removing factory amp***