Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   manual: shifting into first when coming to a stop (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/952650-manual-shifting-into-first-when-coming-to-a-stop.html)

happyclam 09-07-2016 02:15 PM

manual: shifting into first when coming to a stop

I posted this in a different thread but it kinda gets lost and I think it's more important so I'm starting a thread.

It seems that my tranny makes a syncromesh type noise (I assume) and puts up a fight when I'm down shifting with the clutch in unless I'm almost stopped.

So now I just wait until I've stopped and shift into first, preparing to get up to speed again. There is almost no resistance.

Is this a typical pattern with these manual transmissions?

Thanks!

Macster 09-07-2016 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by happyclam (Post 13585463)
I posted this in a different thread but it kinda gets lost and I think it's more important so I'm starting a thread.

It seems that my tranny makes a syncromesh type noise (I assume) and puts up a fight when I'm down shifting with the clutch in unless I'm almost stopped.

So now I just wait until I've stopped and shift into first, preparing to get up to speed again. There is almost no resistance.

Thanks!

Depends upon the vehicle speed at which you attempt to downshift into 1st. There is a limit to what the synchros can do to bring the two gear sets into the same rotational speed.

My advice is to be sure the brake and clutch fluid have been flushed and bled. While under normal operating conditions past its change by date brake fluid may not affect brake operation it can affect clutch operation and this in turn affect shifting.

That 2 year brake/clutch fluid flush and bleed on the car maintenance schedule is not there to make the dealers rich.

Then avoid downshifting into 1st until engine RPMs in 2nd are under 1500 and closer to 1K is better and idle and stopped is better still. I seldom shift into 1st gear unless the car is stopped or just barely rolling.

IIRC -- I don't have my owners manual handy to confirm my memory -- Porsche advises against downshifting over 1500 RPMs.

5CHN3LL 09-07-2016 03:43 PM

Regardless of whether you decide to have some PM done, your transmission has less work to do if you push the shifter into first at idle at a stoplight rather than when the car is moving. People who blip the throttle on downshift are intentionally trying to reduce how much work is done by the synchros (or maybe they just think it sounds cool...).

This is a pattern with all modern manual transmissions. Older manuals required a double-clutch to achieve what synchros do for us today.

Hurdigurdiman 09-07-2016 04:14 PM

I never try to engage 1st unless stopped or almost stopped. Why force that gear at a higher speed? Use 2nd and ride the clutch momentarily if you think the engine wants to jib or stall. 2nd can be engaged along with a blip of the gas pedal up to 25mph or higher when coming down the gears. You will hardly feel any difference. I wouldn't advice starting from stop in second but almost stopped about 5 mph is fine if done tenderly. First can be engage easily from 3mph down to stop. On starting off, I am usually in second gear at 10mph then I can wind second up to whatever I feel is comfortable for that gear or on how fast I wanna go. 3rd will take you over 100 mph if necessary although I would not advice that high a rev.

happyclam 09-07-2016 05:07 PM

thanks, glad to know this. It makes a big difference, I am no longer fighting the transmission when I shift into first, at rest or close to it.

I did have my manual lube changed and that helped, and the brake fluid was flushed and changed for the clutch, and this is way better to realize how this works and avoid excess wear on it and the driver.

VivG 09-07-2016 09:10 PM

I don't even try shifting down into first above 5mph. The transmission doesn't seem to like it much, so forcing it seems like a bad idea.

Anything higher, either clutch in and coast, or 8mph+ just leave it in 2nd and clutch/gas as needed to keep it alive. Rolling in 10mph traffic is always an interesting proposition, since it seems to fall right in between 1st and 2nd.

Jeremy Hazeltine 09-07-2016 10:04 PM

Mine doesnt make any noise, it just doent like to go into 1st until amost completely stopped.
This is only noticable, when rolling to a stop sign for example.......or pulling out of my street onto the main road

rpm's S2 09-07-2016 11:18 PM

I don't believe I've ever shifted into first unless at a complete stop. In any car.

Triple Black 09-08-2016 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by happyclam (Post 13585463)

Yes.

Don't shift to 1st unless you are stopped or almost stopped. I think this is the same for any car with a manual transmission.

llis 09-08-2016 11:46 AM

I'll shift before the engine drops below 1500 RPM. In other words, <15mph. I couldn't do that in my BMWs, but in the 996, it works smoothly.

JMLavoie 09-08-2016 06:12 PM

If you are not in any rush, with the clutch depressed, simply push the stick shift gently against the gear synchro and it will engage smoothly as you feel it through the stick.

oceanbluecab 09-22-2016 09:46 PM

Here is how you do it 2nd to 1st :) Watch at 4:25.