Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Which compact lithium jump starter battery works with our cars – not as simple as it

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 06:15 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Which compact lithium jump starter battery works with our cars – not as simple as it

There are lots of little lithium battery jump-starters on the market. Energizer makes some, and there are many others. Some weighing under a pound claim they can jump start a 4 liter car many times. As a plus, they can also power your laptop and phone and have an LED emergency light.

Sounds great, but for one thing. The cables are typically very short. And when our batteries are dead, before we can even get to our batteries, or to the jump starting connections in the engine bay, we first need to connect a starter battery to two points that are not very close together. (A positive terminal in the fuse box in the driver’s footwell, and a negative terminal near the driver’s door lock. (This is true for post-facelift 996s (3.6 liter cars). I’m assuming it is also true for post-facelift 986s.)

Anyone know of any little lithium jump starters with long enough cables to bridge the gap?

Thanks!

Last edited by rs10; 08-28-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:25 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I do not have an answer to your question.

However, here's my 2 cents: a "healthy" battery negates the need for a jump starter. But if/when I do get stranded somewhere, I call AAA (I also keep cables in my car in case a donor car passes by or is nearby)
Old 08-27-2016, 01:25 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Keep thinking about getting a kit like that, but always get distracted.

What I can add, however, is that when I've had to use the emergency terminal to pop the trunk I just use the door hinge right there. Definitely not the best circuit since it's through paint, but you don't need much to pop the trunk. I do that off a running car though so I have no idea if a jumper pack would be able to overcome the resistance/insulation of the paint.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:51 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually used one to start my car last week. My 8 year-old battery finally died.

I've owned a PowerAll Delux for about a year and have used it a few times. Although I primarily purchased it as a spare battery for my boat.
http://thepowerall.com/index.php?rou...&product_id=93

It worked to start my car though by connecting to the battery terminals. Leads are long enough to reach the battery posts, and it had enough power for a few starts. I didn't try using the (correct) jump starting terminals in the engine bay though.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:45 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Originally Posted by kromdom
I also keep cables in my car in case a donor car passes by or is nearby
The reason why a lot of us carry these small jump starters is connecting up modern vehicles to another car is very dangerous for the electronics. The nice thing about most of these jump start packs is they have an on / off switch. You can connect everything up, then power on the battery. This greatly reduces the chance for a short or a spark that can damage something.

I will only connect my vehicle to another car in an absolute emergency (which means I forgot my jump start pack). These things are so small and inexpensive, no excise not to have one.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:08 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kromdom
a "healthy" battery negates the need for a jump starter.
Unfortunately, no, it doesn't. My battery is relatively new, it works as well as it did when new, and even when new, sometimes the car needed to be jump started. The car struggles to survive a week without being driven without the battery going dead, and no one can figure out why. And having searched and also posted while unsuccessfully seeking a solution, I know that while mysteriously high power consumption such as mine is unusual, it is also not unique.

A trickle charger would obviously help, and I have one, but no place to connect it. Even if I had a place to connect it where I park at home, I would still be foolish not to have a jump starter.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:20 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
These things are so small and inexpensive, no excise not to have one.
Agreed!

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
... a lot of us carry these small jump starters
Could you perhaps recommend one or more which actually work with our cars?

As mentioned, the problem is that the short cables that typically come with these jump starters are fine for connecting to the terminals of a car battery. But based on my (unfortunately extensive) experience, if you need to jump start your car, you probably won't be able to get to your battery without first connecting your jump starter to something else - the positive lead in the fuse box and the negative lead by the door lock. And they aren't so close together

I looked at a lot of jump starters advertised on Amazon, and they all have what appear to be short cables. Some maybe a bit longer than others, but none so long that I'd expect them to work.

Thanks for any help identifying something that works!
Old 08-28-2016, 07:50 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
The car struggles to survive a week without being driven without the battery going dead, and no one can figure out why. And having searched and also posted while unsuccessfully seeking a solution, I know that while mysteriously high power consumption such as mine is unusual, it is also not unique.
Um, I don't know. Normally our cars only drain 10-20mA when parked and armed. Any prior threads of your battery drain issue?
Old 08-28-2016, 08:33 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

I have and use one of these. To the best of my understanding the short cables are the only way to deal with the high current draw in a small guage wire. The fuse box jumper requires very low amperage. Although Ive not done it, I dont see why you couldn't make up a little jumper wire with aligator clips, in maybe 10 gauge, to reach the terminal in the fuse box and open the trunk cover. Do not try to use these to start the car. Remove the extension jumper and use as designed.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:44 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JTT
I have and use one of these. To the best of my understanding the short cables are the only way to deal with the high current draw in a small guage wire. The fuse box jumper requires very low amperage. Although Ive not done it, I dont see why you couldn't make up a little jumper wire with aligator clips, in maybe 10 gauge, to reach the terminal in the fuse box and open the trunk cover. Do not try to use these to start the car. Remove the extension jumper and use as designed.
The thought did cross my mind. But that leaves an exposed metal connection that could easily come into contact with the wrong part of the car or me. Maybe there isn't a lot of current passing through. Maybe the safety features on the jump starter would stop it from frying me, setting the seat on fire, or otherwise messing up the car when both a positive and negative line touch the door frame. Even so, I'd rather just have longer cables.

I'm sure you're right that longer cables means thicker wire. OK by me. Surely someone makes something that works, no???
Old 08-29-2016, 08:54 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Don't think you will find one with longer cables, as this would limit the ability to actually jump start a car, burning off the wires under heavier loads. If you are concerned with shorting, just make an insulated jumper, using heat shrink.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:44 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you should just be able to buy an extra croc clip type cable to connect jump starter to door ground to open the door - not much current involved in that - so pretty much any cable should work - just don;t try and use it to jump the main battery!
Old 09-01-2016, 06:01 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

We have a Norco genus 400 amp (you can get bigger ones up to 1000A) starter pack that lives under the driver’s seat. The cables + clamps have a 22 inch spread, more than enough to access any battery posts and also the post in the fuse panel. The chrome loop you mentioned in the rear of the door jam (the door latch locks on to it) is an excellent ground, but not the only one available. Half way between the two heavily painted door hinges, is the door brake bolted to the front of the door jam. This is not painted (looks like black zinc plated) and is an excellent electrical conductor and is close enough to the +post in the fuse box..

We checked all these contingencies when we got the jump pack. We loaned it out to friends and it jump started their huge SUV instantly. I like the idea that I could take it camping and it would run anything with a USB port forever, and it has a flashlight if I have to go out of the tent at night and pee in the woods.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:08 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the helpful tip! Sounds like this could be the best solution for me. I had a look at the hinge area though and didn't see anything I recognized as a place to connect a jumper cable to. That being said, I forgot that the thing to look for was a door brake. But I can't remember anything that fits that description anyway. Perhaps, if your car is a 996.1, it's a bit different in this area? Anyway, I'll have a look again soon, and if I'm still confused about this, post pictures.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:27 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Um, I don't know. Normally our cars only drain 10-20mA when parked and armed. Any prior threads of your battery drain issue?
Closest thing to a prior thread is my post in Targa996's thread which you extensively contributed to:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ery-drain.html

Just as Targa996 finally found that his alternator was warm, somewhere on my to-do list is seeing if it, or anything else I can reach, stays warm a few days after driving the car. If that fails, next step is to buy an infra red thermometer and go warm spot hunting again. Solving that would of course be even better than finding a good jump starter. But I'm not optimistic, and I'm also not willing to put as much time into it as Targa 996.

Quick Reply: Which compact lithium jump starter battery works with our cars – not as simple as it