996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Group Buy FF tmount inserts feedback

Old 08-24-2016, 10:00 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Group Buy FF tmount inserts feedback

With the transmission mount inserts now arriving, and installation fairly straightforward, I'm starting this post to host feedback from the 29 (to date) group buy participants so that others can benefit before the 20% group buy discount expires on Sep 15. Please let us know your hardness selection as part of your experience. Thanks,
Old 08-26-2016, 03:50 PM
dereifelfahrer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans insert report.

I purchased the Yellow inserts. Installed them yesterday. I had no complaints with miene Schatz . But, after the inserts, crisp shifts and less back and forth movement while accelerating or decelerating. If I hadn't done this Mod, I would never have Known what I was missing.

Thanks All Dan.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:54 AM
JimmyB
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm about to do engine mounts, should I do this too?
Old 08-27-2016, 12:45 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

I'm not part of the group buy but I did install the Black inserts in my car last winter. It was a bit of a pain due to the fact that my transmission mount had partially collapsed. The difference in NVH was fairly alarming at first, but I've gotten used to it over time (and I imaging the inserts have "broken in" a bit). Definitely crisper shifts - especially when cold. Overall I'm happy I did them.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:32 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 96 Posts

Relatively new to the 996.
Can someone post a link to a source that will tell me what we are talking about here
Old 08-27-2016, 02:41 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Bam! http://www.function-first.com/produc...s-mount-insert
Old 08-27-2016, 02:51 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 96 Posts

Thank you Sir.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:24 AM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Still anxiously awaiting mine!
Old 08-30-2016, 10:04 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Received mine over the weekend. I'm running a new Moton suspension for the first time in 2 weeks @ Barber so may wait to install after I feel out the new suspension.

How long do these inserts take to install in your driveway when DIY?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:44 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spinout
Received mine over the weekend. I'm running a new Moton suspension for the first time in 2 weeks @ Barber so may wait to install after I feel out the new suspension.

How long do these inserts take to install in your driveway when DIY?
if your tranny mount is in good shape it's probably 45min. To 1 hr. Job tops. If not, it'll definitely take longer... Totally depends on how bad the mount is. If it turns out to be in really bad shape, you may have to re-evaluate and perhaps replace the mount. My mount was in shaky shape - not torn, but partially collapsed on the bottom side. It took awhile and a lot of manipulating (Jack under tranny) to get me enough room in the mount to get the inserts in. I think the whole job took me two hrs. Or so, from the time I jacked up the car up, til I dropped it back down again.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:25 PM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

I just installed my black (track) inserts this evening.

I'm still getting familiar with my targa, so it probably took me two hours. There's also no way it's going in without some sort of lubricant, I used dish soap like FF mentions in the install guide and that made quite a difference. My original transmission mount was in much better shape than I was expecting it to be, even though it still feels squishy as bubblegum.

Definitely changed the attitude of the car. NVH increase is pretty significant, and I'm usually not sensitive about such things. I'll be curious to see if it "breaks in" over time like some other users have reported, but it's definitely more of a racecar noise now.

Responsiveness of the drivetrain to inputs is significantly better, and shifting feel changed significantly as well. I've paired this with some rennline semi-solid motor mounts with the stiff inserts, and am very happy with the performance increase. I feel more confident in pushing the car now, even with a suspension that could use a refresh.

Thanks for putting together the group buy!
Old 09-06-2016, 09:07 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for posting the review!

You should notice the NVH subside in the next week or 2 as the inserts fully seat themselves and break-in a bit. The performance benefits will remain!

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:14 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Function-First
Thanks for posting the review!

You should notice the NVH subside in the next week or 2 as the inserts fully seat themselves and break-in a bit. The performance benefits will remain!
Ha^^^ While I'm sure they do "break in/seat themselves a little bit, I don't think it subsides so much as you get used to the NVH and it doesn't seem as bad.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:20 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Agreed - it's certainly a combination of both!
Old 09-07-2016, 01:09 AM
Arch1t3ct
Racer

Originally Posted by dporto
Ha^^^ While I'm sure they do "break in/seat themselves a little bit, I don't think it subsides so much as you get used to the NVH and it doesn't seem as bad.
I didn't realize that old men had such good hearing until I started hanging out on rennlist

It seems a little quieter already on day 2. Car has been a blast to flog around with the insert installed. Suspecting that some of the play I had been feeling in the driveline before could actually be the DMF going bad, instead of the transmission mount like I expected.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Group Buy FF tmount inserts feedback