996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Group Buy FF tmount inserts feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 06:38 PM
jhynesrockmtn
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

This pansy would recommend orange to Eric based on your description of how you use your car. I tend to put the more hard core suspension and mount hardware in my race car.
Old 09-09-2016, 02:18 PM
Function-First
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
FF can certainly chime in here but I believe the orange ones were made after the initial batch of the yellow based on feedback from the pansies out there for a more comfortable solution.
Haha, yes. The Orange 60A were developed and tested following feedback from customer's that were looking for something a little less harsh. They still offer performance benefits, especially for worn mounts, and also some added peace of mind in helping to prevent the OEM mount from wearing and tearing.

That said, and what I say over and over, is that perceived and added NVH will vary from car to car and driver to driver, so base your decision on the posted customer feedback and experiences, as well as your personal appetite for such an upgrade.

Comprehensive Shifting Solutions for your Porsche.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:27 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Function-First
They still offer performance benefits, especially for worn mounts, and also some added peace of mind in helping to prevent the OEM mount from wearing and tearing.

I think this is key regardless of your taste or sensitivity.

And it's great for FF to step up to meet customer demands based on their input. It says a lot about a company willing to listen to their customers as well as offering a solution.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:51 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FF can certainly chime in here but I believe the orange ones were made after the initial batch of the yellow based on feedback from the pansies out there for a more comfortable solution.
I think you just called me a pansy...and, sadly, I think I'm okay with it. lol

Originally Posted by jhynesrockmtn
This pansy would recommend orange to Eric based on your description of how you use your car. I tend to put the more hard core suspension and mount hardware in my race car.
Sure, if this was my race car, I'd have no question about using the track oriented insert. My other daily is a CLA45 AMG. Its ride isn't what I'd call plush but I have no complaints about harshness. I tend to prefer cars that are sport oriented and have never complained about the suspension in the 996 but I'm also trying to be realistic based on how I use the car. I actually find myself leaning towards the yellow inserts...but think they might just not be necessary.

Originally Posted by Function-First
Haha, yes. The Orange 60A were developed and tested following feedback from customer's that were looking for something a little less harsh. They still offer performance benefits, especially for worn mounts, and also some added peace of mind in helping to prevent the OEM mount from wearing and tearing.

That said, and what I say over and over, is that perceived and added NVH will vary from car to car and driver to driver, so base your decision on the posted customer feedback and experiences, as well as your personal appetite for such an upgrade.
Got it. I think I might be a pansy. I have a day to decide, right? lol

-Eric
Old 09-14-2016, 01:01 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sue Esponte
Got it. I think I might be a pansy. I have a day to decide, right? lol

-Eric
Eric, here's my take so take it for whatever it's worth.

If you want just a little sports feel and have it still be somewhat refined, you will want the orange mounts.

This becomes even more noticeable between the yellow and orange IMO if you are also running poly engine mounts which will have even a bigger effect between the two.

You maybe ok with yellow mounts if you're running factory engine mounts, but I think the combo of poly engine mounts and poly tranny mount really exacerbates the NVH characteristics so one may want to error on the side of caution and go the orange route in this case.

I'm running yellows on mine running poly engine mounts too but my car is already past the refinement point since I'm also running GT3 CO's with solid strut mounts and spherical bushings in many places.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric, here's my take so take it for whatever it's worth.

If you want just a little sports feel and have it still be somewhat refined, you will want the orange mounts.

This becomes even more noticeable between the yellow and orange IMO if you are also running poly engine mounts which will have even a bigger effect between the two.

You maybe ok with yellow mounts if you're running factory engine mounts, but I think the combo of poly engine mounts and poly tranny mount really exacerbates the NVH characteristics so one may want to error on the side of caution and go the orange route in this case.

I'm running yellows on mine running poly engine mounts too but my car is already past the refinement point since I'm also running GT3 CO's with solid strut mounts and spherical bushings in many places.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and insight. I've been thinking about engine mounts, too, and I hadn't really thought about the overall impact of adding the poly mounts to both.

Ironically, I've been eyeing coilovers for the AMG but when it comes to the 996, I find myself holding back a bit. Not sure why...but the idea of an orange insert with poly engine mounts might be the right combo.

-Eric

P.S. Btw, I think I owe you pics of my headers! I took them with my phone while I was underneath the car a little while back and then had issues with my phone. They're not great shots but I've got them in a cloud backup somewhere. I'll find them and send them over.

Quick Reply: Group Buy FF tmount inserts feedback