996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replaced fuel vent valve - now unable to fill gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Refueling, fueling, filling gas problems, E6 fuse.

Try this link - you are not alone !But PLEase tell us what works for your case to improve the knowledge base.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...revisited.html

Originally Posted by djbooya
I actually did this repair recently AND ensured the reed switch went back into place. I also took the time to put a screenshot in the Pelican Parts article. Problem is I still have the fuel filling issue. The replacement part I used was new from Porsche dealership. Is there another way for me to diagnose what is going on besides re-installing the same part again?

It took me 15 minutes today to add 5 gallons of gas to the car.

ETA: Fuse E6 was blown (thought I checked it before) -- I replaced it and it blew again. Where should I be looking for this short occurring? Is it back under the fender?
Old 04-09-2017, 02:44 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
Try this link - you are not alone !But PLEase tell us what works for your case to improve the knowledge base.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...revisited.html
I don't see any of the TSBs. For example here:
https://www.renntech.org/forums/part...g-out-of-fuel/
or
https://www.renntech.org/forums/part...-modification/

I'm a paying member on renntech as well (as of 10/2016). Not sure if I am just blind and don't know where to click to download the TSB.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:24 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

More Troubleshooting Info:

In looking for the "short" on E6 I did some testing on the wire harness frequently referred to as the Telephone harness behind the driver side footwell:
Name:  I4PuqJ0.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  118.4 KB

According to Loren's post here:
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...#comment-23826
The pinouts should be:
Brown - ground
Yellow/Black - telephone mute
Green/Black - switched 12 volts
Red/Green - unswitched 12 volts
My volt meter is set to this:
Name:  LFXW0HR.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  111.1 KB

Here's my reference of the E6 Fuse location:

I get a tone on the following (no key in ignition):
Red from multi meter to Brown on harness
Red from multi meter to Green/Black on harness
Red from multi meter to Red/Green on harness
Red from multi meter to Red on E6 fuse connection

I don't get any tone:
Red from multi meter to Green on E6 fuse connection

When testing for voltage (and turning DMM **** to far left) I get:
Red on E6 fuse connection = 0
Green on E6 fuse connection = +12V

I'm guessing this means that somewhere between the Red on E6 Fuse connection and Red/Green on harness I have a short.
I'm a little confused now and am not bright enough to follow the detailed wiring diagrams. Armed with this information, can anyone help guide me on how I can find the short without having to unravel the whole dash and harness?

I don't see anything obvious on the end of the harness (nothing looks chafed against the airbag controller) and I don't see any exposed wire.

Last edited by djbooya; 04-09-2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: added how I did voltage check
Old 04-09-2017, 07:37 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

If you are connecting the black cable from the DMM to ground, that would explain some of this.
How many Amps was your old, blown E6 fuse rated at ? 7.5A?
Try just replacing the fuse and covering the exposed(yes they are exposed!!) connections of the phone connector and see if that fixes it?
Let's test for short to ground 1st?
Remove E6. Connect the black to a good body ground ,ideally with an alligator clip and leave it there. Connect the red DMM probe to the brown conductor. That should be continuity ? Put E^ back in place -retest.
Now , let's check for 12v at Red/ Green with the red DMM probe .Set DMM to DC volts- extreme left on your DMM. What happens? You should get 12v.Repeat with ignition on.
Now let's check Green/Black and Yellow/black the same way.
With these results you are ready to send Snap On gift coupons to Ahsai and beg for his help :-). Because until you fix this you can't put gas in the car to drive it !
Meanwhile consider replacing the notoriously fickle and unreliable ignition switch with an Audi one.(Search)
Old 04-09-2017, 11:11 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

If you are connecting the black cable from the DMM to ground, that would explain some of this.
Yes

How many Amps was your old, blown E6 fuse rated at ? 7.5A?
Yes - both of them

Try just replacing the fuse and covering the exposed(yes they are exposed!!) connections of the phone connector and see if that fixes it?
The moment a fuse touches the two leads (red box/green box) from my diagram it blows.

Let's test for short to ground 1st?
Remove E6. Connect the black to a good body ground ,ideally with an alligator clip and leave it there. Connect the red DMM probe to the brown conductor.
All my tests were done without fuse E6 in place. Which brown conductor are you referring to? The connector in the red or green box or the one on the telephone 4pin connector? Which test do you want me to do (voltage or continuity)? I've done a tone test and voltage test with results in my post above this.

That should be continuity ? Put E^ back in place -retest.
As mentioned the instant a fuse blade touches both ends of that E6 connection it blows.

Now , let's check for 12v at Red/ Green with the red DMM probe .Set DMM to DC volts- extreme left on your DMM. What happens? You should get 12v.Repeat with ignition on.
Right now this shows 0 since I can't get a working fuse to sit in E6. The voltage tests I documented so far were with the meter set all the way to the left.

Now let's check Green/Black and Yellow/black the same way.
I will check these and report back tonight.

With these results you are ready to send Snap On gift coupons to Ahsai and beg for his help :-). Because until you fix this you can't put gas in the car to drive it !
Well I can get gas into the car - it just takes 5 mins / gallon , but I am more than happy to see if Ahsai can help remotely before I break down and bring it to a local indy shop. I'd much rather fix on my own (for my own education in addition to saving money) if possible though.

Meanwhile consider replacing the notoriously fickle and unreliable ignition switch with an Audi one.(Search)
Just did this a few months ago due to failure of the OEM piece.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:23 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Did you tape over the telephone connector to stop the exposed contacts from shorting?
Old 04-09-2017, 11:27 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

More data:
Checking for 12V

Un-switched:
Green/Black - 0
Yellow/black - 0
Brown - 0

Switched
Green/Black - 12.14V
Yellow/black - fluctuated +/- 3mV
Brown - 2.1mV
Old 04-09-2017, 11:28 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

Did you tape over the telephone connector to stop the exposed contacts from shorting?
I was holding the connector in my hand.. I didn't see them arcing? I haven't taped over them yet since I am still using them to test.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:00 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

If Brown (ground) to chassis ground is 2.1mV that is odd. It should be zero V.
You won't see arcing. Squander some tape ?
Obviously if you rub the exposed contact that is connected to Brown to chassis ground there will be a short circuit. Not good even at such low mVolts.
We need to find where that brown conductor is picking up voltage.Ask others for a link to a wiring diagram from the FSM. BTW the 12v tests should really show more than 12v unless you have a tired old battery.
Did you send the Snap on coupons to Ahsai ? I am jesting but he is one of the few who could take you quickly through the essential tests.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:06 AM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

I'll get it taped up on my next round of tests.

Obviously if you rub the exposed contact that is connected to Brown to chassis ground there will be a short circuit. Not good even at such low mVolts.
We need to find where that brown conductor is picking up voltage.
I'll re-test this again.

Ask others for a link to a wiring diagram from the FSM. BTW the 12v tests should really show more than 12v unless you have a tired old battery.
It's actually a brand new battery. I'll double check the voltage at the battery.
Did you send the Snap on coupons to Ahsai ? I am jesting but he is one of the few who could take you quickly through the essential tests.
Not yet, but I'll contact him to see how much to send!
Old 04-10-2017, 12:22 AM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

We need to find where that brown conductor is picking up voltage.Ask others for a link to a wiring diagram from the FSM. BTW the 12v tests should really show more than 12v unless you have a tired old battery.
Ok - I retested with a different DMM and the weird 2.1mV and fluctuating on yellow/black is gone. Maybe I didn't have a good connection on the first test.

I also taped up the connector, but am still getting a shorted fuse on E6 and the continuity test of the red box (from my fuse diagram) and ground still produces tone.

Green box and ground produces 12.2V - I get 12.3V direct from battery.
Green/black wire to ground produced 12V this time...
Old 04-10-2017, 12:33 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

O.K. that seems more normal.
Now we need to find the short.
Definitely need the FSM Wiring diagram for that.Need to find all the components in the E6 circuit to test them.
Or we can flail until a knowledgeable Sparky joins the conversation. The most likely component to be troublesome (Search) is the flap valve being prevented from operating because of fuel pipes obstructing it.You may have dislodged them when you replaced the reed valve?
In previous link I gave:
"1) Fuse E6 that controls the filler tube flap is blown
2) The tubes on the fuel pump can block the flap from opening
3) The vent tube(s) are pinched
(the TSB "Fuel Tank Hose Modification 5/99 2015" is for #2 or #3, but I can't find it)

4) But I also found a Pelican DIY saying to replace the fuel line vent valve that I've never seen mentioned once on Rennlist or anywhere else as being the culprit."

Procedure for reed valve replacement:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Vent_Valve.htm

Last edited by Schnell Gelb; 04-10-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:04 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

... disregard. Question answered in OP's first post...
Old 04-10-2017, 06:27 PM
djbooya
Rennlist Member

2) The tubes on the fuel pump can block the flap from opening
3) The vent tube(s) are pinched
(the TSB "Fuel Tank Hose Modification 5/99 2015" is for #2 or #3, but I can't find it)
It was unclear to me the actual procedure to check that and I couldn't find any DIYs for it.

The TSB I found here:
http://bethnrayndogs.com/car_docs/Po.../Grp2_5-99.pdf

4) But I also found a Pelican DIY saying to replace the fuel line vent valve that I've never seen mentioned once on Rennlist or anywhere else as being the culprit."[/I]
Procedure for reed valve replacement:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...Vent_Valve.htm
#4 is what I did already - not sure how that would impact #2 and #3 from the limited access I did under the fender.

The pic from "Anthony" in the Pelican forums is actually mine with the blue tape after I did the re-install.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:42 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I can try to help. Get a 7.5A smart fuse from autozone or alike and plug it in the E6 slot. It should glow. Now trace back the steps you took to replace the valve and see if the wiring of that reed switch is inadvertantly pinched to ground. If you can disconnect the reed switch, disconnect it and see if the fuse light turns off.

Fuse E6 supplies power only to two places - the reed switch and the phone plug red/green wire. The switch when closed supplies power to two more valves. Since you seem to have a short even with the reed switch not activated, the short may be in the reed switch or its wiring.

Quick Reply: Replaced fuel vent valve - now unable to fill gas tank