996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Fire Extinguisher

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 04:49 PM
sfv_rider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many years ago, my wife drove a Volvo 245 wagon 12 miles on the freeway, commuting between our home and her job in Pasadena. We kept an extinguisher in the back, along with a pair of leather gloves that would allow you to open a hood release that was 200+ degrees from an underhood fire. It was a nice Halon extinguisher.

She never needed it, but the guy in a burning Ferrari was overjoyed when she followed his smoldering 308 to the freeway shoulder and gave the kit to him while coming home one afternoon.

Sometimes the safety gear or spare quart of oil you keep in your car is not for your immediate benefit.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:23 PM
Oil_Slickrick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Euro land it is not compulsory for visitors to carry a F-Ex but highly recommended and is compulsory if you are resident in those same countries (Such as Belgium). In addition things like bulb kits, warning triangle hi viz vest for all in the car. The vest needs to be to hand and not in the frunk (If not you can get a fine) Insurance and ownership docs need to be carried. Radar detectors are banned and you need a country sticker. I like the under seat bracket and the rear belt fixing one. O-Sr
Old 05-16-2018, 06:06 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I just bought one from walmart for my car. Now to figure out how to mount it.. I bought the hard top for my Boxster from a lady who's Boxster burned... I would rather my 911 not burn if I can help it. Maybe in 5 years time I wont mind as much, but not right after I have just completely changed all the wear items on my car...
Old 05-16-2018, 06:39 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 644 Likes on 393 Posts

I don't own and have not used one of these, so I can't comment from first-hand experience, but Element fire extinguishers seem amazing and solve a lot of problems with traditional fire extinguishers -> https://elementfire.com/

Old 05-16-2018, 06:42 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by professorman
I just bought one from walmart for my car. Now to figure out how to mount it.. I bought the hard top for my Boxster from a lady who's Boxster burned... I would rather my 911 not burn if I can help it. Maybe in 5 years time I wont mind as much, but not right after I have just completely changed all the wear items on my car...
I have one of these:

http://www.thebracketeer.com/
Old 08-22-2021, 09:49 AM
Tschibecs
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Lapin
I manufacture the ideal extinguisher bracket for Porsche 996, 997, and now 991.

Fits into the rear seat belt buckles, and is easy to install and remove instantly.
No holes, no destructive fasteners required.
hi joe would like one of these baskets for my 997.2 I’m in Australia can you help

Quick Reply: Fire Extinguisher