996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 engine stall

Old 07-31-2016, 07:30 PM
bwhanson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 engine stall

'02 C 2. 56K mi. Had been driving approximately 15-20 minutes city and freeway. Engine inexplicably stalled and stopped. Pushed around corner to get off busy street, engine restarted easily and quickly, drove about 15 minutes to destination, city driving, no problem. 6 hours later car started easily, and ran normally for about 10 minutes, then stalled again twice. Each time car started easily, ran normally until stalling. Restarted and drove 1/2 mile to fill fuel tank, the computer said I had about 60 mile range. Drove home about 10 minutes away freeway driving, with one stall after exiting freeway, and made it home uneventfully. The issue acted like an electrical problem in my estimation because there was no coughing, or sputtering I associate with fuel starving. Outside temps were 85-90 [hot for Seattle]. No fault codes, just warning lights when engine stalls occurred. Next day drove car about 45 minutes, city and freeway, no issues. 3rd day went to friends who had a OBD II reader with no codes detected.[not Porsche specific reader] Also drove for about 30-40 minutes with no issues. Outside temps were 70-75 degree the last two days, much cooler. Obviously need help. Thanks
Old 07-31-2016, 09:22 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

I had this identical issue and it was ***BAD NEWS*** [at least for me] all the way- the thrust bearing came out and was found in my oil pan. This meant the crank shaft was running on my block and resulted in a new engine.

However, YMMV, check the crank shaft sensor before leaping to the far gone conclusion that happened to me.

Crank shaft sensor replacement is not that difficult to remove and replace.

Good Luck.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:31 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

With no codes and otherwise normal running I'd bet the fuel pump may be on the way out; if it predictably dies at 10-20 minutes, you can do a fuel pressure test for that time frame (20 min) and see if it cuts out or drops in pressure after a while to firm up the diagnosis. Did you say you filled your tank and it then said you could only go 60 miles? That's a different problem then...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 996 engine stall