996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DIY 996 broken console hinge repair

Old 07-30-2016, 07:06 PM
Jim996
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY 996 broken console hinge repair

First, thanks to all of you who posted useful tips on the care and feeding of the 996. I'm grateful and saved a lot of money in the upkeep of my '99 coupe. I am one of those who try to sort out issues on a budget so I can continue to keep my 996 healthy without breaking the bank.

I recently had the well-known broken console hinge issue. There is a quick $40-50 fix out there on ebay etc. but I decided that money is better spent on oil change. So I spent total 1.5hrs (but did let the epoxy cure overnight) on a DIY using a leftover 2.5" cabinet hinge, and took some pictures so that someone might benefit. This will work well (I've tested opening & closing it for 100+ times without issues & it is holding up really good).

The pictures are pretty self-explanatory but I'll just mention the specific step I did :
(1) Disassemble cabinet hinge and check to see it fits the 996 hinge (mine was providentially almost an exact fit ... I just filed off 1mm to get it snug).
(2) I saw off the middle loop, and then used a nail to open up the remaining 2 hinge holes slightly (to allow the 996 pin to go through smoothly).
(3) I saw a line slot on the DIY hinge to fit the spring (just match up to the hole by lining up the hinge on the console).
(4) I then push the console pin into the DIY hinge *without* the spring, and proceeded to epoxy the hinge to the console with the lock ENGAGED (this will ensure the hinge is placed at the right spot). I placed a weight on the closed console cover to let the epoxy set.
(5) I pushed console button and opened the cover next day. Then I took out the 996 hinge pin, and proceeded to drill a small hole inside the existing DIY hinge hole right next to the spring slot. I countersunk the DIY hinge hole slightly to let my screw sit in close to flushed.
(6) Now I re-assemble the cover with the spring installed and pin pushed in. Gave it a quick spray of black paint. Done!

Hope it'll help someone out. Have a great weekend to all!

ps. I actually created the 2 U-bars as per Porsche update kit (by looking at ebay pics) but decided I did not need them. That single screw is sitting right where the greatest spring load is happening and I have tested it repeatedly with survival.
Attached Images           
Old 07-30-2016, 07:20 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Great job!
Old 07-30-2016, 07:31 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Nice work! I'm trying to find a similar fix for the notorious visor mirror cover fail.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:45 PM
Jim996
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I also have the same visor mirror cover problem. Hope we'll find a good solution to that as well. cheers!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY 996 broken console hinge repair