Sponsored by:

Octane booster recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 06:15 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
Are you daft man? The car went from running like a top to dyeing on me 5 times in little over of a miles stretch. This had nothing to do with WOT, this had to do with it not being able to make it to 2500 RPMs. Not only was it dyeing but then I had to crank the hell out of it to get it to restart. This started as I was pulling out of the gas station. That's when I realized the mistake I had made. The problem went away about 3 minutes of run time after I added the octane booster.

Those are all just facts. Feel free to properly interrupt this information for me. I'm always looking to learn something.
Bad gas could cause results like you experienced but 87 octane wouldn't cause those results - must me something else. Was your tank almost empty when you filled? Is it possible the retailer had just had the tank re-filled - sometimes that stirs up "junk" in the tank. Maybe something wrong with your DME that it couldn't adjust for the lower octane. Seems like there is more to your problem than just an octane difference. Good luck tracking it down.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:40 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 124 Posts

Nearly empty tank and it was at a Conoco that I've never had issues with. No need to track it down, seems pretty simple and don't plan on testing it again to prove one way or the other.

I would be curious to know if anyone else with a '99 (5.2 DME) has ever put a tank of 87 in and not had any issues.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

According to the API the only time to use a fuel, or oil additive... Is NEVER.

Pull the fuel line, bypass the fuel pump relY and pump that junk gas out of the system... Then replace with the proper premium fuel.

Your knock sensors, pistons, and rod bearings will thank you.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,518 Posts

Maybe you didn't put 87 in, and actually put diesel in??
Old 07-30-2016, 09:36 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
According to the API the only time to use a fuel, or oil additive... Is NEVER. Pull the fuel line, bypass the fuel pump relY and pump that junk gas out of the system... Then replace with the proper premium fuel. Your knock sensors, pistons, and rod bearings will thank you.
Ok, on it. Thanks for chiming in.

Originally Posted by LexVan
Maybe you didn't put 87 in, and actually put diesel in??
No, I remember 87 and black handle. It's what goes in my Expedition. My wife drives a '12 dodge 2500 mega can diesel. So I'm always double extra careful when there is a green handle or a green gas cap.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:25 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Slakker, what you are describing does not happen due to pumping 87 into 17 year old 911. You probably ran it low on gas, you sucked some gunk from the bottom of the tank, that caused the misfire. Your N/A car will run just fine on the 87 if it needs to, just don't push it.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:38 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

For Gosh sakes Man....Pay Attention!!!

FWIW...I have twice driven off from a gas pump with the hose still attached to my car (not the Porsche). That's what you can do if you REALLY want to feel like a dumbass...
Old 07-31-2016, 12:10 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

the worst part was the cause of my distraction. Posting on RL. #gottagettalife.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Just put a full tank of 87 in my car and she is pissed. Luckily I was less than a mile from my office and am borrowing a car to go pick up some octane booster. Any recommendations?
You will have to dump in gallons of octane booster to raise 87 to 90 (the minimum octane I think Porsche recommends be used).

God only knows what that amount of octane booster will do to the fuel system and so on.

My recommendation is to have the car flat bedded to a shop and have the 87 octane fuel removed and then refill the tank with the proper grade of premium fuel.

And in the future pay close attention to when filling the gas tank.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:28 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
My recommendation is to have the car flat bedded to a shop and have the 87 octane fuel removed and then refill the tank with the proper grade of premium fuel. And in the future pay close attention to when filling the gas tank.
Why let them have all the fun? Tried to do it last night but the only hose I had was 5/16 ID and I'm guessing it needs something closer to a 1/4 as it almost sealed but not quite. Will get the hose today and get it drained. It will make great lawn mower gas.

Fair enough. Third time we've made a mistake between the two of us. I put gas in the dually once but realized it and ran off the other tank until I could siphon it out. Wife put diesel in the F150 and it stalled before she got out of the gas station. Both of those were 18+ years ago so we've been on a pretty good run. I've had 4 MB, 2 bimmer and another pcar and never had an issue.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:12 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

Slakker, the reason you are unable to siphon gas from the tank, (like grandpa used to do from his beloved old Grand Torino) is all modern cars have a ball-check or shutter valve at the top of the tank. This is to prevent gas from spilling out in a roll over or other crash that damages the filler cap area. Jamming a smaller hose or other crap into the valve may damage the expensive, delicate mechanism, making it impossible to fill the tank at a gas station.

Gasoline in a complex compounding of 500 straight chain and branched chain hydrocarbons. Regular and premium grades are 99% alike, premium only differing in the blending of slightly more small branched hydrocarbons and/or additives that only exert themselves under the extreme conditions that cause ‘engine knock’.

No petroleum engineer or engine designer would account your experience of poor idling, stalling, hard starting to the gasoline octane number.
The online owner’s manual for 1999, like the manual for more modern P cars, does state the requirement of higher octane gasoline, but recognize a situation when only lower octane gas may be available. It says to go ahead and temporarily use it as the engine’s knock sensor system will prevent any harm.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:47 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 153 Posts

the worst part was the cause of my distraction. Posting on RL. #gottagettalife.
Hey dude don't be Rennlisting on your phone while fueling that can blow you *** up! 😀
Old 07-31-2016, 07:40 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Woodman71
Hey dude don't be Rennlisting on your phone while fueling that can blow you *** up! dde00
Urban myth! It was pre fueling anyway. :P

Not arguing that the octane was or wasn't the cause. It seems like it was but who knows. I'm not going to test the theory again but I encourage someone else with a DME 5.2 to see if they get the same result.

I'll drain it simply because it's easy, it's something else I can learn how to do, and I can reuse the gas. Plus Jake recommended it and being that this engine is going to visit him in 6 months it wouldn't make sense not to follow his advice.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:07 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Pretty easy process and pumping much quicker than I had imagined. 1/4 ID fuel line from lowe's was the ticket. Made a small set of jumper cables so it would be easier to tape and protect at the battery terminals.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:14 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Cool. How long it took to pump out all the fuel? If you have Durametric, you can also activate the fuel pump with it.

Quick Reply: Octane booster recommendation