996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Very broken 2002 3.6 996 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I was in the same situation, I was forced to go with a replacement engine as my crank had been damaged and they are hard to get hold of, I ended up buying a used engine and stripping it to refresh it, Hartech honed my cylinders and fitted strengthening rings to prevent d chunking in future , I would say with that level of debris your going to have a fair bit of damage , I have some parts left over if you need anything, I know loads of places to get bits also in uk if you need anything message me ok
You just need to get the heads off and possibly pull off the 456 side of the engine casing, if you have the engine in an engine stand swivel it so 123 side is facing down , undo all casing bolts and you can lift it off by hand , you will then see right inside, don't worry nothing will fall out it all sits in the other casing half, you will just expose the bearing carrier and rods and Pistons for 456 but you will see the damage that's been done I would imagine, you mentioned a thin metal piece before, that sounds like the timing chain baffle , if that's been chewed I'm wondering if you have had a timing chain failure??
Old 08-04-2016, 11:13 AM
stoo.c
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks thats very kind of you - I expect I will certainly be in touch with you. I've made a good start on getting the engine out but I only get a few spare hours here and there. I hope to have it all out by Sunday and then I'll start pulling it apart.

Most of that material in the sump is the weird thin stuff - its a fraction of a mm thick and its painted/coated so its nothing load bearing hence me thinking its a shield or something. The baffle suggestion sounds about right.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:23 PM
stoo.c
Intermediate

Couple of quick questions. I'm using the Pelican guide to make sure I dont miss anything and it seems pretty good but I have 2 queries. Firstly the diagonal braces underneath - I've undone the bolts at either end and the one visible nut on one of the 2 middle mounts but how do I remove it? It seems very happy on those 2 central mounts - do they just pull out? I didnt want to lever it just in case im missing something.

Secondly and im sure im being really dumb here but I cant seem to see the 17mm and 19mm fuel line connections that it mentions in the guide. I'm looking everywhere on the left hand side of the engine (standing looking from the back) and I just cant see them - am I missing something silly here?

Many thanks
Old 08-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Those braces just pull out. The only fuel connection you need to disconnect is a quick connect left of the left intake manfold. Top left of the engine bay. No tools needed unless the c4s is different than c2.

Originally Posted by stoo.c
Couple of quick questions. I'm using the Pelican guide to make sure I dont miss anything and it seems pretty good but I have 2 queries. Firstly the diagonal braces underneath - I've undone the bolts at either end and the one visible nut on one of the 2 middle mounts but how do I remove it? It seems very happy on those 2 central mounts - do they just pull out? I didnt want to lever it just in case im missing something.

Secondly and im sure im being really dumb here but I cant seem to see the 17mm and 19mm fuel line connections that it mentions in the guide. I'm looking everywhere on the left hand side of the engine (standing looking from the back) and I just cant see them - am I missing something silly here?

Many thanks
Old 08-04-2016, 12:45 PM
stoo.c
Intermediate

Ahhhh - I thought the quick release version was for the 997. That makes more sense as I cant see how I could have missed these. I'll have a look tonight as I should get another hour or so on it.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:07 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe Porsche has now designated the 996 as a "Classic" meaning that prices at your OPC's are at a lower rate than for more modern models. I am not completely sure if that only applies to labor rates or also parts. It might be worth a general inquiry, I remember reading about it in Total911 or one of the other British Porsche rags a year or so ago.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:57 AM
stoo.c
Intermediate

Almost ready to drop now. Gold star for Ahsai - fuel line was lovely and easy - different to the Pelican guide. Couple of gearbox bits to unbolt and the power steering hoses still and then I'm ready to lower on Sunday.

Will send the ARB and diagonal braces in for blasting and powdercoating I think along with some new droplinks whilst im at it.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:10 AM
stoo.c
Intermediate

OK so a bit more progress - apologies but still no diagnosis of whats actually happened but I have now got the engine out of the car and thanks to all of the help on here it was pretty straight forward considering it wasnt done with a lift. Four stands, one trolley jack, one transmission jack and an engine hoist. This is me after finally getting it out.

Name:  IMG_0142_zpsnp7qv3tu.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  57.7 KB
Old 08-08-2016, 07:16 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

woohoo! another step closer.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:58 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,424 Likes on 2,699 Posts

good luck finding replacement or rebuilding

Last edited by groovzilla; 08-11-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:58 AM
stoo.c
Intermediate

Had a wedding at the weekend so only got an hour or so. I've pulled almost everything off the engine now and labelled it all up on some shelves so that it should be easy to put back together. Gearbox is also off and the clutch is pretty worn so definitely worth putting a new one on.

Looking down into the intake side of both heads, no sign of anything untoward on the valves so it doesnt look like there has been piston to valve contact but further investigation needed obviously.

Saturday I have most of the day so this will be when the heads finally get pulled off and we should have an answer.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:18 AM
wucash
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slakker
Except that there are very lengthy threads for how crappy they treat their customers when there is an issue. I would strongly recommend against them.
I thought the threads related to them not agreeing with some philosophy/expertise claims of certain boards members not on how they treat their customers.

I have seen a number of members from here very satisfied with the engine and price they got back from them.

sorry off topic.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:22 AM
stoo.c
Intermediate

Right - I got another hour last night and pulled off the flywheel and the IMS cover and something doesnt look right here. The bearing itself spins fine and there is no sign of any fresh oil leaks however the bearing is not sitting evenly in the hole - its completely off centre which presumably means the IMS must have broken in order to shift like that?

Apologies the pics arent great but it wasnt easy to get a shot straight on. Let me know your thoughts.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:10 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by stoo.c
Right - I got another hour last night and pulled off the flywheel and the IMS cover and something doesnt look right here. The bearing itself spins fine and there is no sign of any fresh oil leaks however the bearing is not sitting evenly in the hole - its completely off centre which presumably means the IMS must have broken in order to shift like that?

Apologies the pics arent great but it wasnt easy to get a shot straight on. Let me know your thoughts.

It's off center because you failed to do one, or more of the following:

- lock the engine at TDC 1
- remove the IMS tensioner
- remove bank 1 tensioner

These 3 things are what should be done before even attempting to remove the IMS Bearing flange.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:16 AM
RRTEC
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
It's off center because you failed to do one, or more of the following:

- lock the engine at TDC 1
- remove the IMS tensioner
- remove bank 1 tensioner

These 3 things are what should be done before even attempting to remove the IMS Bearing flange.

This.

Quick Reply: Very broken 2002 3.6 996 C4S