Sponsored by:

Do I need new engine mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 12:04 AM
mdreef
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need new engine mounts?

Ever since I purchased my 996 cabriolet from a good friend 2.5 years ago with 120,000 miles on it, I've wondered if I need new engine mounts. He told me they had been replaced once, but he didn't know when.

I don't feel any excessive engine vibration (a common symptom of bad mounts); instead, what I feel is as if there's no "shock" absorption at all when I go over some uneven roads - so I get a hard thump from the back of the car.

I recently replaced front and rear suspension, control arms, and rear drop links, and have all new tires.

Is the hard "thump" a normal Porsche experience, or do I need to replace the engine mounts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2016, 12:33 AM
Tonyr313
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post photos of the rear showing the exhaust pipes. If they sag, time for new ones.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:38 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Hmmm, definitely doesn't sound normal.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:37 AM
VivG
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I get a hard thump over uneven roads/unexpected bumps as well. It has done that as long as I've had it (4 months, 1800 miles). My assumption was that it was related to the engine mounts, but if it isn't, I'd love to know what direction to look.

I also have sagging exhaust tips (more so on the left side than the right), so I definitely do need new engine mounts.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:04 AM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

It is never a bad idea to replace the engine mounts at a certain stage during maintenance. Certainly to consider when you are taking on various other maintenance items in order to set a kind of maintenance reference point.

The mounts are a common wear item of the car which a lot of owners not consider to replace. For those with tiptronic gearbox do not forget to replace at the same time the transmission mount! The mounts are the 3 points which hold your engine in place. For manuals the transmission mount is not prone to wear that much and lasts much longer.

Replacing the (engine) mounts, even without symptoms which indicate wear, could be one of the cheapest 'mods' improving car handling you could do for your 996. Even when staying with the OEM mounts. I replaced mine some months ago because the exhaust tips started to sag on one side. And I noticed some wobbling unbalance with bumps and cornering. After the replacement it seemed I got another car back.

What about the shocks itself? Did they got replaced over time. If not after your mileage I would be looking for replacing/upgrading them.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:49 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 201 Posts

As noted above, new engine mounts are a cheap and fairly easy upgrade. It can't hurt to do it.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:21 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyr313
If they sag, time for new ones.
This is what I keep telling my wife.
The following users liked this post:
JBari (12-29-2020)
Old 07-21-2016, 07:32 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodman71
This is what I keep telling my wife.
Ouch!

Old 07-21-2016, 07:59 PM
Behle
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar issue , over some "sharp bumps" like drive way entrance etc , a very hard clonk . It turned out to be the Transmission Mount .
Old 07-21-2016, 09:41 PM
mdreef
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tonyr313
Post photos of the rear showing the exhaust pipes. If they sag, time for new ones.
Attached are three photos. It does look like the pipes are REALLY close to some other components, so that likely explains the "clunk". So is it a matter of replacing the mounts again? Mounts appear to be an easy project.
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2016, 09:52 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

If that is what's considered "sagging," then mine are absolutely doing the limbo.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:55 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did mine with the Rein mounts from pelican and it was really easy they were not too expensive, probably no more than an hour and 30 minutes maximum. My car was new to me and seemed a little rough at idle. This was a good supplement to the pelican article (engine mount article) as it gives you the torque settings and tool list. I had to buy a long reach (deep) socket to get the main bolts off and they were bloody tight so make sure car is well supported.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:55 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mdreef
Attached are three photos. It does look like the pipes are REALLY close to some other components, so that likely explains the "clunk". So is it a matter of replacing the mounts again? Mounts appear to be an easy project.
Three photos? I only see one and that one doesn't show the tips. It does show what looks like small dents in your exhaust pipe though. Have you been backing into something?

Post a pic like this one, but with both tips showing.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mdreef
Doesn't appear to be sagging. Shocks or transmission mount make sense. For the latter, you can go to Home Depot and buys some.... Oh never mind. Look for delrin transmission inserts.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:55 AM
mdreef
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Triple Black
Three photos? I only see one and that one doesn't show the tips. It does show what looks like small dents in your exhaust pipe though. Have you been backing into something?

Post a pic like this one, but with both tips showing.

Files were too large so I was only able to upload one photo. I'll need to take another photo to show both tips. The previous owner had a low driveway approach, so he scraped the exhaust on a regular basis until he replaced the engine mounts.

Thanks to all for your helpful comments.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Do I need new engine mounts?