Sponsored by:

Alternative to IPD Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Alp....it also says this.

"IPD has pioneered another new Plenum design with the Competition Carrera Plenum. Laminar flows and volumetric efficiencies have been further enhanced with our unique and innovative internal merge collector area. This completely new approach has yielded not only great performance gains but more linear power delivery and improved throttle response as well. Gains vary depending on pre-existing mods and quality of after-market exhaust installed. As we all "should" know, horsepower and torque become harder to find and typically more expensive as we climb the proverbial performance ladder. That being said, performance components yield different power gains depending on the order they were installed. IPD tests and evaluates all products on bone stock cars, this establishes a level playing field and a better "apples to apples" comparison. The Competition Carrera Plenum however is designed to work with applications that are already moderately to heavily modified. Power gains will vary with each Carrera, but the bottom line is, there will be noticeable and impressive gains that are sure to make any Porsche Carrera driving enthusiast smile.

Power improvements will be fully realized once the factory ECU/DME makes all the necessary "adaptation" requirements. This process can be expedited with a series of "hard pulls" or spirited full throttle acceleration runs through the gears. Of course this should only be performed on a closed course circuit."
Old 07-15-2016, 01:43 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Alp....it also says this.

"IPD has pioneered another new Plenum design with the Competition Carrera Plenum. Laminar flows and volumetric efficiencies have been further enhanced with our unique and innovative internal merge collector area. This completely new approach has yielded not only great performance gains but more linear power delivery and improved throttle response as well. Gains vary depending on pre-existing mods and quality of after-market exhaust installed. As we all "should" know, horsepower and torque become harder to find and typically more expensive as we climb the proverbial performance ladder. That being said, performance components yield different power gains depending on the order they were installed. IPD tests and evaluates all products on bone stock cars, this establishes a level playing field and a better "apples to apples" comparison. The Competition Carrera Plenum however is designed to work with applications that are already moderately to heavily modified. Power gains will vary with each Carrera, but the bottom line is, there will be noticeable and impressive gains that are sure to make any Porsche Carrera driving enthusiast smile.

Power improvements will be fully realized once the factory ECU/DME makes all the necessary "adaptation" requirements. This process can be expedited with a series of "hard pulls" or spirited full throttle acceleration runs through the gears. Of course this should only be performed on a closed course circuit."
I'm aware of the fine print. I was just saying that the way they advertise it is misleading to most consumers out there.

Only guys that's been in the game awhile will realize that results maybe different and if you look closely, those gains are in a very narrow rpm range on that car on that dyno on that day... you get my drift. I'm not refuting "their" results. I just think it's misleading to most consumers that come across this as evidenced by the many threads about "Does IPD provide xx amount of hp?".

Bottom Line: OP was just asking for alternative to IPD. I provided that info. Very simple but of course we can't do simple on RL.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:50 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine003
No need to get ur knickers in bundle
Old 07-15-2016, 02:08 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
No need to get ur knickers in bundle
LOL, yeah but we both know we have to keep the RL bickering quota up.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

LOL, yeah but we both know we have to keep the RL bickering quota up.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:53 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Very simple but of course we can't do simple on RL.
Of course we can't. Where would the fun be in that?
Old 11-24-2016, 12:14 PM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Pedro's Garage Techno Plenum.

This does basically the same thing as IPD but isn't a solid metal piece so prices are more friendly.

http://pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoTorque.html
anyone actually have this? i could make the insert on my 3d printer i imagine but i dont want to risk that lol
Old 11-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by tekkie
anyone actually have this? i could make the insert on my 3d printer i imagine but i dont want to risk that lol
No, it doesn't.

The short side radius of the IPD is where the trick is. You can't develop an intake component using a shop vac. If you do, you'll never see that what you are doing is hurting performance, or doing absolutely nothing!

With a pitot tube inserted in the intake where the splitter is installed in this photo will give zero, or very, very little velocity on the flow bench. Why? Because the air is pulled to the short side radius.

Yes, I have direct experience with this.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:43 PM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

so go with the ipd one?
Old 11-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Vdubjetta02
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to verify, IPD plenum requires larger throttle body correct
Old 11-24-2016, 03:21 PM
gobs
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also looking into this and have a recent thread. I see ECS Tuning has a kit including the throttle body I'll check Pelican also.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:31 PM
02TX996Cab
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The standard IPD plenum for your car does not require a larger throttle body but their "Competition" plenum does.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:51 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

........and I have a IPD Comp and GT3 TB that is ready for the taking if anyone is interested.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:36 AM
vandersmith
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have no idea how you could possibly get 20hp with only a plenum.

Note: I use the comp 82mm IPD.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:45 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vandersmith
I have no idea how you could possibly get 20hp with only a plenum.
With a plenum only? nope.....plenum, TB, headers, 200 cell cats and maybe an X51 airbox.....yes. Air flow is huge component here. I still think the IPD Comp and GT3 TB give you a quicker throttle response and it's a good place to start for add ons.

Quick Reply: Alternative to IPD Plenum