Sponsored by:

This forum gave me a nightmare last night

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:30 PM
spud72
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This forum gave me a nightmare last night

Bought my first Porsche a couple weeks ago, a nice black 996 coupe 6 spd. 70K miles (113KM) and runs super well, other than the cold timing chain tensioner sound for the first second of startup of which I am going to replace... all of them if necessary (just have IMS tensioner on order for now).

However I had a nightmare last night that my motor was on it's way out and it was going to cost me $10K+. I think it's due to the plethora of active threads talking about broken timing chain guides, cam pads, IMS bearings, leakdown tests failed, you name it. It's enough to give a new owner an ulcer!

How common are these issues on cars, really? Is there anything (other than the IMS proactive work) that a person can do to prevent these issues?

Give us new owners some hope here - please tell me you can to 150K miles on one without needing to tear the motor apart/replace it?
Old 07-12-2016, 10:36 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace it with the clutch is the common thought process and that's unlikely to last to 150K so no real extra labour investement. I'm in a similar position to you, just bought one about a month ago, I'm taking solace from my car being a nice early 996.1 and therefore a twin row IMSB(earing).

Just drive it if it goes bang, you had some fun. You can get replacement engines..........on ebay.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:12 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Ha! Welcome to the forum. You are going through what all new owners go through.

Breath deep and don't panic. Even the "common" problems aren't all that common. For all the bad news these are actually pretty solid cars if taken care of and not abused through neglect.

Part of that means driving them regularly and stretching their legs. You don't have to get crazy, but these cars were built to be fun.

Unfortunately when things go bad, they tend to go really bad. Some you can do some preventative steps, others you can't.

The best answer is to just drive and enjoy the car. Worrying about it all will just ruin the experience.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:38 PM
dbuckius
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same here. bought a 01 with 68kmiles two month ago. Did an oil changed and found metal flakes in the oil filter. Have the IMS bearing replaced.

The shaft on the original IMS bearing has about .020"play. The two rubber seals have some missing pieces and similar metal flakes are on the outside of the rubber seals. The mechanic said this IMS bearing is ready to go anytime....

now I could sleep better
Old 07-12-2016, 11:48 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Change your oil every 3k (max) and use good oil like motul , castrol 5w40 but stay away from Mobil 1

Inspect your filter under a bright light after each oil change looking for metal debris. This is how you will know it's time to do IMS

Also don't let the engine light below 2500 rpm. Keep it above that as it stresses out the main shaft

There is more you can do bit oil changes and filter inspections are a great startt
Old 07-13-2016, 04:14 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Search for the threads from owners who have 200000 plus miles on their motors and have done virtually nothing to them. Read the posts from the significant majority who have changed their IMS bearing only to learn that factory one they took out was in perfect condition. Pick up a used copy of the book 996 The Essential Companion...600+ pages about every version of the 996, including discussions of IMS and RMS and all the other ghosts that haunt this forum. Just have fun.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Search for the threads from owners who have 200000 plus miles on their motors and have done virtually nothing to them. Read the posts from the significant majority who have changed their IMS bearing only to learn that factory one they took out was in perfect condition. Pick up a used copy of the book 996 The Essential Companion...600+ pages about every version of the 996, including discussions of IMS and RMS and all the other ghosts that haunt this forum. Just have fun.
+1 John.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:27 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

OP...It's a well known fact that as the RPMs rise, your caring for internet-induced agita decreases. Sure, something can always go wrong, but sock away a few bucks against a rainy day. And, enjoy all the sunny ones until then. You have a great car. Drive it hard. Then, post the pics here...T
Old 07-13-2016, 01:21 PM
Driver5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread title actually made me laugh a little. I used to go through this all the time after browsing the forum daily. Scared me into getting my IMS, Clutch, RMS etc. done one month after ownership. Only to find out that everything was in good shape. Piece of mind...yes, but immediately $3k lighter in the wallet because of "panic threads". You will always come across those due to the nature of car forums. Most post about issues they are experiencing. Then you will have a few "I love this car!" threads sprinkled in here and there. Honestly, I give the forum browsing a break every once in a while and just enjoy the car. If not, I probably would've sold mine years ago. Congrats on your car and enjoy it!!!
Old 07-13-2016, 03:53 PM
spud72
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys. I am going to stay on the regular maintenance - just deciding whether I should drop the oil pan or not. It's sort of like that feeling of thinking you should go to the Doctor but scared to because of what they'll say LOL!

Still have yet to do my real intro thread with pics - will try and do that tonight or tomorrow.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:10 PM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

If not done already, swap out the IMS and then do regular oil changes every 3-5K miles (or every 6 months). Fix everything else as it comes up; don't defer maintenance. Know that a 10+ year old car is going to require fixing on a more regular basis than a new Honda.

And then drive the damned thing - and sleep soundly!
Old 07-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

"This forum gave me a nightmare last night"

Get used to it...
Old 07-13-2016, 05:35 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think IB should automatically send anyone that reads more than 3 996 forum threads a prescription for Xanax
Old 07-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Randyg308
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbred911
Change your oil every 3k (max) and use good oil like motul , castrol 5w40 but stay away from Mobil 1

Inspect your filter under a bright light after each oil change looking for metal debris. This is how you will know it's time to do IMS

Also don't let the engine light below 2500 rpm. Keep it above that as it stresses out the main shaft

There is more you can do bit oil changes and filter inspections are a great startt
this is one of the reasons,alot of mis info....ridiculous.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:42 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

Try buying a Cayenne. That forum will give you nightmares....

Quick Reply: This forum gave me a nightmare last night